Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 PM

Just hit by car. Post Crash Bike Check?

I was sadly just hit by a car. Their fault making a left turn coming towards me not paying attention while I was going ~24 mph and nailing me. The bike has some scratches (I have many more) and I will do a full tune-up tomorrow to see the extent of damage. My major concerns are any frame cracks that are too small to see. Any recommendation on how to ensure I don't miss these?

Also, It looks like my entire BB/Drive side is slightly not straight and at like a 5 degree angle from being straight.

Any recommendations on the process would be quite helpful!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:14 PM

Check yourself out first. Did your helmet take any impact? Do not brush off seemingly minor symptoms like headache/dizziness

Post crash, i hope they stopped and gave you insurance info. If so then have an lbs do the inspection and repair/replacement cost
Old 06-27-2017, 10:17 PM

Sorry to hear... as other will suggest. Make sure the police and insurance are involved and let professional doctors and bike mechanics make professional evaluations about your health and the bike and expect the driver or their insurance to care for you accordingly.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 PM

I did a good job getting the police report which had the driver at fault of course. On vacation so going into the clinic tomorrow since this after their closing time (7 PM) and didnt think I needed immediate attention. Head took very light impact when I slid across the ground. Does that mean I need a new helmet? Definitely taking the bike to the store when I get back(mostly just cheap bike rental places at the beach here).

Thanks for the help! The biggest damage may be my phone which cracked in my back pocket (slid on my back) and my GPS watch....
Old 06-27-2017, 10:43 PM

Ouch. So sorry to hear this. I am glad your injuries seem to be minor considering the circumstance.
Was the driver looking down at a phone?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by comish83 View Post
I did a good job getting the police report which had the driver at fault of course. On vacation so going into the clinic tomorrow since this after their closing time (7 PM) and didnt think I needed immediate attention. Head took very light impact when I slid across the ground. Does that mean I need a new helmet? Definitely taking the bike to the store when I get back(mostly just cheap bike rental places at the beach here).

Thanks for the help! The biggest damage may be my phone which cracked in my back pocket (slid on my back) and my GPS watch....
Glad you are ok. Definitely get a new helmet.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
...so going into the clinic tomorrow since this after their closing time (7 PM) and didnt think I needed immediate attention...
That was your first mistake.

The other party's insurance could hold that against you when filing any claims. I realize it's too late now, but you should have gone to an emergency room.

As for the bike, do NOT disassemble it in any way. The insurance company may want to examine it as part of any claim. Retain all your torn clothing, helmet, damaged phone (or at least take pictures of the damaged phone),
etc. .

You'll be asked to get multiple estimates for repair of the damage. You can examine it yourself and tell the shop what you've found, which may help them in case they overlook something. If the bike's carbon fiber, you might as well ask the shop to condemn the frame since carbon can hide internal damage. Any estimates should include labor even if you'll do the repair work yourself as your time is money.

Get a copy of Bob Mionske's book, Bicycling and the Law. The chapter devoted to accidents will have detailed, useful information, written by a lawyer and former national champion.

I've been hit 3 times so I know the routine.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Their fault making a left turn coming towards me not paying attention while I was going ~24 mph and nailing me.
ouch. absolutely get yourself checked out as thoroughly as possible. seriously. pretty much exact same scenario happened here a couple years back to a large group; one rider died at the scene, another was in a coma for weeks and passed, three more were hospitalized for long periods of time. very serious crash and you should be overjoyed you walked away from it mostly unscathed. but don't assume that's the case.

in short: screw the bike and the helmet. worry about you.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

The other party's insurance could hold that against you when filing any claims. I realize it's too late now, but you should have gone to an emergency room.

As for the bike, do NOT disassemble it in any way. The insurance company may want to examine it as part of any claim. Retain all your torn clothing, helmet, damaged phone (or at least take pictures of the damaged phone),
etc. .

You'll be asked to get multiple estimates for repair of the damage. You can examine it yourself and tell the shop what you've found, which may help them in case they overlook something. If the bike's carbon fiber, you might as well ask the shop to condemn the frame since carbon can hide internal damage. Any estimates should include labor even if you'll do the repair work yourself as your time is money.

Get a copy of Bob Mionske's book, Bicycling and the Law. The chapter devoted to accidents will have detailed, useful information, written by a lawyer and former national champion.

This!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM

document every thing in detail, especially anything medically-related. take photos of all property and physical damages to your person, regardless of how minor they appear.

get examined by a physician. notify your auto ins of the incident.

consider hiring an attorney who specializes in bicycling-related claims.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

etc. .

This again!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:42 AM

Sadly too much good advice on this topic around here. Not to say that it is not helpful.

Get well soon!!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

When you present all this info to the driver or his insurance company, when they balk and whine, be sure to STOP talking to them and get a good lawyer.

Yes, new helmet. Document everything you are doing that relates to this mishap, everything.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:14 AM

The bike is now not indexed properly and I need to straighten the shifters. Would anyone advise against fixing such minuscule things? Obviously not going to take off any cables or adjust anything like the damaged crank.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 AM

I'll be the first of many to say "DON'T DO ANYTHING TO THE BIKE" until you know the extent of damage to it and you and it's all recorded to ensure you get a fair settlement. Something that is slightly bent/moved might be a valuable clue to more serious but less obvious damage,

Tags
aluminum, frame