Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 04:58 PM

More Doping at a Grand Fondo NY

Quote:
Manuel Serrano Plowells (Mexico) tested positive for recombinant EPO during an out-of-competition control (OOC) conducted in concurrence with the Campagnolo GFNY World Championship in NYC on May 21, 2017.

Plowells admitted to having used the substance, which is banned under WADA rules. He is disqualified from the race and receives a lifetime ban from all GFNY events (Rule 9.3).

This is the fifth positive doping control in GFNY’s short history.
https://gfny.com/positive-doping-con...-gfny-nyc-epo/

Out-of-competition testing for a grand fondo? This sport is f*&king absurd.

Last edited by djg21; 06-27-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:10 PM

A GF pretty much is an open race and if you are old (over 29) to dope in a race like that is just stupid because the dude did not make it, but at the other side if you are young and need to show yourself you have do well so a team would pick you? So suckers go and dope... dumb people, around 20 y/o if you arent a national champion or made it to your national team means that you did not make it... just go and enjoy life and dont do stupid things like dope.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Classics Fan

You ain't kidding. what is the point? Curious what the cost is to dope. Are we talking a few hundred bucks? a few thousand? more?
Old 06-27-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
You ain't kidding. what is the point? Curious what the cost is to dope. Are we talking a few hundred bucks? a few thousand? more?
Cost in money no clue, what about the cost to your lifespan. Surely dumping this crap in your system can't be good for you.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

I read this as more dolphins at Gran Fondo NY, for a second I thought, damn I missed out.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:36 PM

Those socks are a crime.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
Cost in money no clue, what about the cost to your lifespan. Surely dumping this crap in your system can't be good for you.
Probably not as bad as McDonalds, burgers everyday, Aspirin, Cigarettes and Alcohol..... I mean, more people die from Alcohol and kill people than Doping in a cycling race. All of those things are legal. Perspective. We dump things in our system daily without knowledge of what's inside of it. I just find it odd that I've lost so many young friends and relatives to cancer all of a sudden. Could it be the food we're eating and the manufactures cutting corners to produce lots of it in a shorter amount of time?
Old 06-27-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
There was an older article, I can't find at the moment, about a writer who tried doping to "see what it was all about first hand". I seem to remember it being well above the couple hundred dollar threshold.
As was also mentioned the cost on your body is not worth it, not to mention the cost to your conscience and integrity.

**Edit** found it...epo was $2k for 20wks, hgh $750/mo... looks like back in 2003.
https://www.outsideonline.com/1924306/drug-test

Last edited by cmbicycles; 06-27-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:17 PM

My local cycling club's annual race weekend included our state championship road race. At the road race last Sunday AM, USADA showed up for a round of testing. No word yet on the test results, but apparently my mid-pack finish in the masters race wasn't suspicious enough to have me fill a specimen jar. Not that I'm worried - unless Starbucks Sumatra has made it on to the prohibited list

Greg
Old 06-27-2017, 06:26 PM

Must've been the taco bus meat.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:33 PM

This world can really get me down sometimes.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
This world can really get me down sometimes.
^ what he said. You kids ride ahead, wait for me at the top...
Old 06-27-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
There was an older article, I can't find at the moment, about a writer who tried doping to "see what it was all about first hand". I seem to remember it being well above the couple hundred dollar threshold.
As was also mentioned the cost on your body is not worth it, not to mention the cost to your conscience and integrity.

**Edit** found it...epo was $2k for 20wks, hgh $750/mo... looks like back in 2003.
https://www.outsideonline.com/1924306/drug-test
Surely it's cheaper now, with more average joes using? Only unlrelated anecdote I have: The advertised prices for "weekly specials" at CO dispensaries is CHEAP, 80-100/oz.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:08 PM

Lame af

If your gonna dope to win do the big time gravel races. Nobody checks shet and the GLORY IS YOURS FOREVER lol doping is so gd lame multipled by x100 for gran fondo wins.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
Probably not as bad as McDonalds, burgers everyday, Aspirin, Cigarettes and Alcohol..... I mean, more people die from Alcohol and kill people than Doping in a cycling race. All of those things are legal. Perspective. We dump things in our system daily without knowledge of what's inside of it. I just find it odd that I've lost so many young friends and relatives to cancer all of a sudden. Could it be the food we're eating and the manufactures cutting corners to produce lots of it in a shorter amount of time?
Cough, cough testicular cancer anyone?