Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 04:30 PM
ZhugeLiang

Road trip with my boys 14 and 11

Right now I am tied down for six weeks taking care of 20 high school interns at work. The week after the internship is over from July 15 till July 21, I intend to take my two boys out on a road trip. I don't have any lofty goals except to spend quality time with them doing something fun and/or outdoor. My initial thought is to drive up from Austin TX to Colorado and find a "basecamp" that we can set out everyday to do like 5-6 hrs of hiking or sightseeing and then come back to rest and just chill for the rest of the day.

We like to travel no frills to keep the costs down. Where would you suggest?

If there's a pal who don't mind opening up their home to host us, that would be even better!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:42 PM

I had always told my grandkids when they got to be 12, they could take a trip of their choosing with GrandPa (me).

So...from Central Florida.....loaded up Jack and said...where to? He said Atlanta....he wanted to see the largest drive in restaurant in the country (go figure). So we had a mid after noon hot dog there. Loaded up and said...jack....where to? He said....how about Arches in St Louis? So we went there (and also spent time in the awesome Museum of Westward Expansion underneath the arches). After that....loaded up and said Jack....where to....And he said "Grandpa....how about Mt Rushmore"? and we went there. he also wanted to see a Mammoth dig in Hot Springs....not too far away.

So place by place I kept asking him "where to next? it was totally his trip. Had a blast. We saw the brewery in Ft Collins. Went into the mountains some. Then my wife called....and said it's time to head back to Florida....we had spent enough over 11 days. Looking forward to when more of the grandkids get to be 12.

Enjoy your trip with your kids. My best advice....make it their trip as much as possible.

Last edited by Ralph; 06-26-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:00 PM

Terlingua!! No... wait...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Right now I am tied down for six weeks taking care of 20 high school interns at work. The week after the internship is over from July 15 till July 21, I intend to take my two boys out on a road trip. I don't have any lofty goals except to spend quality time with them doing something fun and/or outdoor. My initial thought is to drive up from Austin TX to Colorado and find a "basecamp" that we can set out everyday to do like 5-6 hrs of hiking or sightseeing and then come back to rest and just chill for the rest of the day.

If there's a pal who don't mind opening up their home to host us, that would be even better!
I look forward to doing that with my kids - sounds so fun!
Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Glenwood Springs, CO
Old 06-26-2017, 06:04 PM

This is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I had always told my grandkids when they got to be 12, they could take a trip of their choosing with GrandPa (me).

So...from Central Florida.....loaded up Jack and said...where to? He said Atlanta....he wanted to see the largest drive in restaurant in the country (go figure). So we had a mid after noon hot dog there. Loaded up and said...jack....where to? He said....how about Arches in St Louis? So we went there (and also spent time in the awesome Museum of Westward Expansion underneath the arches). After that....loaded up and said Jack....where to....And he said "Grandpa....how about Mt Rushmore"? and we went there. he also wanted to see a Mammoth dig in Hot Springs....not too far away.

So place by place I kept asking him "where to next? it was totally his trip. Had a blast. We saw the brewery in Ft Collins. Went into the mountains some. Then my wife called....and said it's time to head back to Florida....we had spent enough over 11 days. Looking forward to when more of the grandkids get to be 12.

Enjoy your trip with your kids. My best advice....make it their trip as much as possible.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
... Paris !!!

Old 06-26-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
... Paris !!!

I hear Ry Cooder playing in the background...

with images of Nastassja Kinski running through my mind!....
Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
When I was at Big Bend during Spring Break a few months ago, I shared a campsite with a very nice and generous German family. One night we decided to "eat out", so we all hopped into one car and drove over to Terlingua, hoping to dine at the famous Starlight Theater. When we got there, the wait time was like 2-3 hours. We were all starving so we decided to try the mexican restaurant down the street. Apparently, it was the main collection center for Starlight "refugees". We waited for 2 hours before we were served...and the food? Let's just say it was barely fit for humans.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Glenwood Springs, CO
Really?

Why would you suggest that, care to elaborate?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:24 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post

Ralph pal, sage advice, i will take it!

What a beautiful story - if you write it into a children book with all the adventures and name it "Jack...where to?" it will be Amazon's best sellers.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 PM

I think Colorado Springs would be fun and not too long on the road.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 PM

Springs is a good call.

Lot's of hikes/parks...Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, Cheyenne Park etc. Hiking biking.

Good balance of outdoor vs city things to do. Music festivals in summer, a couple cool museums if I recall. It won't be overrun with people and won't be overly challenging terrain. Good value price wise compared to a big chunk of Colorado.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:08 PM

if nothing else, google hanging lake

Quote:
Really?

Why would you suggest that, care to elaborate?
is near there, go early the lot is tiny. or get a hot springs room and bike down to the lot and

My rec: just go I40, hit Cadillac ranch near Amarillo and bring several cans of spray paint. then on to tucumcari (i think) and eat at kix (maybe kicks) diner on 66. on to gallup nm and mtb or hike the high desert trail system. there is the hopi sky city on the way, albequerqe on the way, pertrified forest on the way, etc. then decide if u want to go grand canyon and up into CO or maybe go to carlsbad caverns which is about the coolest place i've ever been. we timed it wrong, but there is a cool dusk bat viewing program the rangers do--i wish we had arrived later but we got there early.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:19 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
is near there, go early the lot is tiny. or get a hot springs room and bike down to the lot and

My rec: just go I40, hit Cadillac ranch near Amarillo and bring several cans of spray paint. then on to tucumcari (i think) and eat at kix (maybe kicks) diner on 66. on to gallup nm and mtb or hike the high desert trail system. there is the hopi sky city on the way, albequerqe on the way, pertrified forest on the way, etc. then decide if u want to go grand canyon and up into CO or maybe go to carlsbad caverns which is about the coolest place i've ever been. we timed it wrong, but there is a cool dusk bat viewing program the rangers do--i wish we had arrived later but we got there early.
jim pal, you just planned the ENTIRE road trip for us!