Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 10:40 AM

White Industries T11 - 24 vs 48 Teeth

Anyone have any time on the new 48T T11 drive ring that can compare it to the performance of the old 24T ring? I have had a bit of clunking with the 48T and think it may be due to the pawls not seating firmly initially and popping into place. I am wondering if the 24T ring, with its larger indents and greater pawl:drive ring mating area would see less of this.

I flushed out the grease the hub came with and lubed the pawls with NFS lube thinking the grease was perhaps the cause of the clunking. Things improved but there's still a bit too much of it for my liking.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:21 AM

I think you should call Wi and see what they say. Yours is not the only case I have heard of this happening with the new 48t drive.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobikes View Post
I think you should call Wi and see what they say. Yours is not the only case I have heard of this happening with the new 48t drive.
I did when I first got the hub last Fall and they mentioned that they hadn't heard anything about it. The 48 was quite new at that point so I think I might try them again.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:05 PM

I called up WI and explained what I was experiencing and the very helpful lady I talked with suggested that it sounded like one of the pawl springs was not functioning properly and said that I should open it up and check how well the pawls were springing back.

A few days later and I have had the time to do that and, sure enough, it appears that one of the pawl springs is not doing its job properly. I spoke with Jake at WI and they are going to send me out some replacements. Kudos to them for great service. I have my fingers crossed that the new spring solves the issue, but I can say that my confidence is high.