Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 PM

Dude.....there should be a what to do if you get hit by car. So many times these threads pop up and i'm astonished that certain protocols aren't executed:

If you've been hit:

Don't move
Call police
Call ambulance
Take trip to hospital
Make sure you get drivers info/insurance
Don't do anything to your bike

Finally, I 'personally' would recommend calling attorney, but that's just me. All it took was one time trying to deal with insurance company myself instead of hiring an attorney and I'll never make that mistake again.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Picshooter

You pretty much nailed it. It's too late now but also make sure you have Under / Uninsured motorist coverage.
The insurance co. of the person who crashed into me compensated me for my bike and all my kit from head to toe. That was the easy (cheap) part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Dude.....there should be a what to do if you get hit by car. So many times these threads pop up and i'm astonished that certain protocols aren't executed:

If you've been hit:

Don't move
Call police
Call ambulance
Take trip to hospital
Make sure you get drivers info/insurance
Don't do anything to your bike

Finally, I 'personally' would recommend calling attorney, but that's just me. All it took was one time trying to deal with insurance company myself instead of hiring an attorney and I'll never make that mistake again.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
The insurance co. of the person who crashed into me compensated me for my bike and all my kit from head to toe. That was the easy (cheap) part.
(For the OP, not the rePhil)
Remember, there are two very distinct parts of your claim.
1) Your bike, gear, and all the parts of that. Everything on the bike & you is involved. This part is usually fairly straight forward. You DO NOT want a lawyer involved with this part, unless they just stonewall you. You can do this yourself.
2) You. Now, get a lawyer. If you ended up in the hospital, missed work, missed the nephews soccer game you were going to go to, anything that the crash impacted, it's all involved now. You CAN do this yourself. I tried & decided no, it's worth it to let someone else do it for me.

Now, STOP posting how you're doing on the internet. Ask me how I know this stuff.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:18 PM
Small ring

Ask a mod to delete the thread and seek professional medical and legal advice.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
That was your first mistake.

The other party's insurance could hold that against you when filing any claims. I realize it's too late now, but you should have gone to an emergency room.

As for the bike, do NOT disassemble it in any way. The insurance company may want to examine it as part of any claim. Retain all your torn clothing, helmet, damaged phone (or at least take pictures of the damaged phone),

etc. .

You'll be asked to get multiple estimates for repair of the damage. You can examine it yourself and tell the shop what you've found, which may help them in case they overlook something. If the bike's carbon fiber, you might as well ask the shop to condemn the frame since carbon can hide internal damage. Any estimates should include labor even if you'll do the repair work yourself as your time is money.

Get a copy of Bob Mionske's book, Bicycling and the Law. The chapter devoted to accidents will have detailed, useful information, written by a lawyer and former national champion.

I've been hit 3 times so I know the routine.

Plus 1 to this. Speaking from experience. Don't under estimate your possible Injuries - 2nd day soreness etc. Hope you are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
aluminum, frame