Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 04:34 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I see countless bikes with mavic wheels. the yellow mavic shoes are everywhere. Id say i see as much mavic as i see of anything else if not more.
I guess in Europe Mavic sells a bunch more than here.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I guess in Europe Mavic sells a bunch more than here.
Thats likely true
Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Yes, I understand that, however, I doubt they built a tire factory. I imagine Victoria is making them for them in Thailand or something .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Mavic is making the the whole thing as a set package; wheels and tires together. They have specifically tried to normalize the tolerances for the match of tire
to rim.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Yes, I understand that, however, I doubt they built a tire factory. I imagine Victoria is making them for them in Thailand or something .
Right, of course you did, sorry. Dunno.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 AM

so where can I get my hands on a set?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Has anyone seen pictures of the non-Exalith Open Pro? The Exalith version seems to be delayed.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:13 AM

They're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm 20k+ miles in on road tubeless, having ridden most of the available tires. There's certainly a shortage of road tubeless rims out there but that is changing. Mounting and set up and be challenging but if you follow the basic rules, it's well worth it.

A few weeks ago, I had my first road tubeless flat in 5 years. The tire was well worn and received a two inch gash right in the center of the contact patch from a shard of metal.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:33 PM

Are you saying that tubeless road tires are all easy to put on and that there is no problem with difficult to install tire and rim combinations? Or that it doesn't matter how hard they are to install because you never get a flat anyways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
They're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm 20k+ miles in on road tubeless, having ridden most of the available tires. There's certainly a shortage of road tubeless rims out there but that is changing. Mounting and set up and be challenging but if you follow the basic rules, it's well worth it.

A few weeks ago, I had my first road tubeless flat in 5 years. The tire was well worn and received a two inch gash right in the center of the contact patch from a shard of metal.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 PM

Mavic Road UST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Who is making the mavic tires?

The OP's original article explains it. Hutchinson currently makes Mavic's tires, and will continue, producing the new UST tires. Mavic has their own "rubber engineers," many of whom have significant experience at Hutchinson and Michelin. Hutchinson is simply providing the factory.

Last edited by DavidC; 06-28-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
For the last decade, Mavic has been consistently late to adopt every wheel trend, and when they do release an option it is always overpriced. From refusing to make wider rims, to building a freehub whose pawls don't easily fail, to making silly tires no one wants, to ditching the whole rim business to focus on prebuilts. The idea that current tubeless solutions are too difficult to use is laughable. Just another solution looking for a problem. I won't even start on Mavic's warranty process..
Much as I like Mavic products, I can't help feeling you've hit the nail on the head here....
Old 06-29-2017, 10:12 AM

I don't understand the negative responses here. Looks to me like Mavic is finally making a better freewheel, embracing wider rims, and it sounds like the main thing behind the move to tubeless is that they are building the rims (and maybe the tires?) to very precise specs. These all seem like good steps from a company widely considered to be very conservative. The only thing that seems potentially crappy is if the system is truly proprietary in that non-Mavic tubeless tires just won't work on the rims. I'd be shocked if that turns out to be the case, but who knows.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:01 PM

UST for mountain bikes was one of the reasons tubeless actually took off in MTB. It was easier, it worked. There wasn't much fussing about trying to get things to seat, or finding rim and tire combinations that didn't work together. If it was UST and UST, it worked. Well. This paved the way for tubeless to be more broadly adopted.

Hopefully it's the same for this.

I don't personally find the calculus to work in favor of road tubeless, too much fuss getting the damn things even on the rim half the time, and then maybe even more fussing to get them seated. The benefits of road tubeless don't outweigh this gigantic negative for me. They may for you.

The benefits of tubeless is clear for bigger offroad riding...way lower pressures which helps with grip, less flats due to puncture from objects due to sealant, less pinch flats due to no tubes, and lighter rotational mass due to replacing a big honkin' mtb (or fat bike) tube with a, comparatively, small amount of sealant.

Great for MTB and cross/gravel.

not sure it's so great for road - I really don't need any lower pressure than 80-90 on a 25-28mm tire, not sure what I gain by being "able" to go to 50 psi? Maybe a dent in my rim?

I don't get many flats on a road bike anyway, so lessened puncture frequency is not a huge advantage. Nice tires at the right pressure don't get that many flats, in my experience. Random assaulting by a knife blade or some nonsense on the road isn't guaranteed to be tubeless proof either...

Maybe slightly lighter weight in sealant than tube,not sure on road.

Difficulty of mounting in my adventures in road tubeless don't allow the small benefits to makeup enough ground.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudingWalrus View Post
UST for mountain bikes was one of the reasons tubeless actually took off in MTB. It was easier, it worked. There wasn't much fussing about trying to get things to seat, or finding rim and tire combinations that didn't work together. If it was UST and UST, it worked. Well. This paved the way for tubeless to be more broadly adopted.

Hopefully it's the same for this.

I don't personally find the calculus to work in favor of road tubeless, too much fuss getting the damn things even on the rim half the time, and then maybe even more fussing to get them seated. The benefits of road tubeless don't outweigh this gigantic negative for me. They may for you.

The benefits of tubeless is clear for bigger offroad riding...way lower pressures which helps with grip, less flats due to puncture from objects due to sealant, less pinch flats due to no tubes, and lighter rotational mass due to replacing a big honkin' mtb (or fat bike) tube with a, comparatively, small amount of sealant.

Great for MTB and cross/gravel.

not sure it's so great for road - I really don't need any lower pressure than 80-90 on a 25-28mm tire, not sure what I gain by being "able" to go to 50 psi? Maybe a dent in my rim?

I don't get many flats on a road bike anyway, so lessened puncture frequency is not a huge advantage. Nice tires at the right pressure don't get that many flats, in my experience. Random assaulting by a knife blade or some nonsense on the road isn't guaranteed to be tubeless proof either...

Maybe slightly lighter weight in sealant than tube,not sure on road.

Difficulty of mounting in my adventures in road tubeless don't allow the small benefits to makeup enough ground.
Great writeup and I agree.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Great writeup and I agree.
I also agree, and find that the same principle applies to several technologies that are advantageous for MTBs, but are more trouble then they are worth for road bikes, including: Pivoting or telescoping suspension systems; Disc brakes.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I also agree, and find that the same principle applies to several technologies that are advantageous for MTBs, but are more trouble then they are worth for road bikes, including: Pivoting or telescoping suspension systems; Disc brake.
Yessir...