Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 12:24 PM

I have a Greenworks self propelled mower and just finished mowing for the 4th time this year about 15 minutes ago. It will hold two batteries and I do have two. It automatically switches between the two batteries and it takes one plus a little of the second battery to get my lawn done. I like it but when it dies I’m sure I’ll do some research and imagine that will be an Ego too.

I do have a Ego carbon fiber shaft like trimmer. It’s three years old and takes from a third to half a charge to do my whole lawn. Love the auto feed to spool new line on it.

Don’t have, need or desire a blower but if I did I would go Ego on that too .
Old 05-02-2024, 12:36 PM

I switched to a battery mower using my city's ICE trade-in rebate deal back when the only mulching, bagging, self-propelled mower was the 36v Black & Decker that I ended up with. I've replaced the batteries once (three 12v batteries in series) and when I couldn't get through my small lawn on a charge recently with some particularly rank grass I decided I wanted to always have the power I might need at my disposal.

I bought a Honda HRN216 from a local shop and I'll have it for 20+ years with minimal maintenance. It's louder, yes, but I use noise canceling AirPods anyhow. Hell, I'd use the 2-stroke Lawn Boy with aluminum deck my dad bought in 1988 if I didn't insist on self-propelled (I do).

When my Stihl 4-stroke trimmer died last year I bought a corded Ryobi and have been really happy with it. Cords are a deal breaker for most, but it works for me on my 5,000 sq ft corner lot.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:55 PM

As a point of reference from a different point of view, the only area I've mowed this year is where I'll start to put in a wild meadow. The rest has all sorts of wildflowers (both native and not, I assume), and a wide variety of grasses. I have white, yellow, a couple of blue, and one purple wildflower. The birds and bees love it.

https://wapo.st/4aUQW7Q

Go wild.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:55 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Did you look to see if someone is making a Miwaukee to Ryobi battery adapter? I see some on Amazon (probably on EvilBay too); don't know what systems you would be combining. Milwaukee 18v blower and string trimmer are decent, and even if you had to replace one (or more) tools to get the large capacity 18v Milwaukees it could be well worth it to keep the mower going until it is really dead.

A Habitat friend is a big DeWalt user, but sometimes buys occasional use Ryobi and uses a battery adapter. I've used them for new to old Milwaukee (again for occasional use tools). Worth a look...
Thanks. I didn’t know there were adapters available. This would make the brand transition much more cost effective.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:58 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Ryobi no bueno, IME....
I mean, yes and no. The mower has been in service since 2016. Zero maintenance. Nothing broken until this year (height adjuster). The string trimmer did finally go on the last day of mowing last year. I’ll probably get an Ego to replace it this year.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:59 PM

Since we have EGO products, I haven’t used any of the power tool brands for lawn gear. I have a few EGO products - dual blade lawnmower, lawn stringer, hedge trimmer, leaf blower and snowblower. The lawnmower is about 4 yrs old and is great for our yard - can manage on one charge. The leaf blower is super and very handy - use it to clean all sorts areas like garage, patio, deck; I also use it to blow off snow if light enough.

The snowblower is a medium sized (not self-propelled) and can handle snow well up to about 6” (more i it is not the wet, heavy snow). We don’t get many heavy snowfalls in northern NJ, just an occasional storm which means that I have to get out and snow blow if I expect more than 6”.

The batteries for the snow blower will last about 20-30 minutes. But it only takes about 20 minutes to fully recharge and I have a spare.

As for the power tool brands, Ryobi is good for the DIY homeower projects. They also have more specialty tools and accessories than other brands, which can be useful. For more heavy duty type projects, I use Makita power tools (saws, drills, etc); their batteries seem to hold their charge for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2024, 02:23 PM

Just bought an Ego string trimer, blower combo, got the entire package with battery and charger for $240 or so at Ace on sale, what a deal. It replaced my 10 year old Craftsman trimmer and push broom. It cut the time in half for my 5000 sq.ft. yard. I will look at the Ego mower when it's time.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I mean, yes and no. The mower has been in service since 2016. Zero maintenance. Nothing broken until this year (height adjuster). The string trimmer did finally go on the last day of mowing last year. I’ll probably get an Ego to replace it this year.
I can't argue with your experience, but in mine, I've just have had rapid failure on shop tools and was not impress by the quality and robustness of some of their products.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:15 PM

Just purchased a Makita 19 inch self propelled mower, trimmer and hedge clipper system. Mower uses 2 18 volt batteries and will run for 25 minutes on a pair. Coming from a gas Honda mulcher it lacks power, but if I cut before its tall and wet does fine as a mulcher. Mulching uses a lot of power. Cuts pretty with a single blade after I sharpened it.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:31 PM

My first Ego mower went kaput after 3 years. HD sent the mower to Ego (Atlanta) for warranty repairs. Took about 6 weeks. Got it back and it worked fine for about 6 months. Failed again but I fixed it.....bypassing one of the handle safety (defective) switches. Then it failed again 3 months later.

Called Ego........they sent me a new mower (warranty) which still works today. I still have the first Ego mower....just have not taken the time to fix it.

I have 3 other Ego products (oldest is leaf blower 6+ years old) and all came with batteries. All 4 batteries work just fine.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:30 PM

Well, after owning one apartment, then another apartment, then a townhouse, riding aluminium bikes and selling a bunch of Campy stuff I hoarded in my fiscally less responsible early 30's, at the ripe old age of 43 my g/f (36) and I will next week be the proud owners of an actual, bona-fide, stand-alone house.

With a front yard. And a back yard. And oodles of grass and some trees, and plants and shrubs. And a verandah. (And a bike workshop but more on that later)

So now I get to sit on said veranda, in my slippers and gown, and finally click into paceline threads like this one, smoke my grandpa pipe, wave at my fellow house owners and contemplate which brand of yard tools to buy.

Life is good.

Does campy make a gold plated, limited edition, screw top, wireless mower? How did it get around the SRAM patents?????
Old 05-02-2024, 06:45 PM

I live on a property that has very little flat parts so no experience with mower.

I don’t know if ego has recently tried to expand, but I just bought a string trimmer at the store and it had broken parts out of the box. I tried to call ego for a replacement and they put me on hold for 4 hours.

In the meantime, I charged the batteries and tried to wind some string in the string trimmer and it was DOA. Both batteries I bought didn’t work so it was the unit itself.

I called ego again as this was a 2 day old product. Again a 4 hour hold. I decided the customer service was too much of a hassle and returned it.

Went with Husqvarna and it’s great.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:18 PM

I have an Ego chainsaw and trimmer. I love the chainsaw, a charged battery and sharp chain and I'm good to go. The trimmer is handy and the batteries are interchangeable.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDog View Post
Long time Ego using here. Specifically, the mower side. Big fan.

Just purchased a self-propelled version. Another great decision.

As with many things, the newer tech is a step ahead of what was available 5 years ago. Even though my old Ego mower still does fine. Where it maybe stumbles a bit, is tall wet grass, and is not a good leaf mulcher. The newer one, with more power, and dual blades, does a much better job.

I’m sure my neighbors think half the time, there goes drunk Jeff again cutting his grass in the dark (Ego’s have headlights). Above and beyond freeing up time, there is something serene and peaceful. Oh’, the neighbors, maybe 50/50 on being correct.
I thought I knew what self propelled was, until I used Ego. Required no effort on my part - even when cutting uphill slopes.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:35 AM

Just to follow up I cut yesterday. Took me four charges so about 2 hours to cut a lawn that should take max 30 minutes. Guess I need to bite the bullet and get a new batt or mower. This is for the 7.5 battery.