Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Adding to this: there are those of us that love solo riding for the purposes of challenging oneself, for fitness, besting times, and betterment of the craft of handling. I don't have the time nor lack of responsibility to commit what's required to audax/touring style rides and that puts me into the majority of riders. Why in the hell would I be pushing myself on a bike purpose built for touring? Riding Tam or Mt. Hamilton on a Trek 520... no thanks.
When I was in college, I had to ride from nearly sea level up to the top of Panoramic Way, where I lived. I'd do this almost daily. Riding up to Skyline, Canada Rd, to Santa Cruz, etc... Sure, a light Ti or Carbon bike could help me get up that hill 3 minutes sooner. Feels great for the first few weeks after you switch to a lighter bikie. And then you get used to it!

Of course, then one day your riding buddy shows up with something fancier and gets a few feet on you in a sprint to the mailbox, so you start thinking... "Gotta get me that laterally stiff, vertically compliant frame..."

I get it – buying a thing is actionable. We're the weirdos that buy more than one bike. Most people aren't like that! Meanwhile, getting an hour extra sleep the night before, or having one less beer – well, that probably impacts your climbing speed more, but it takes more discipline. And how many regular punters have optimized that side of their rides?