Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2024, 12:31 PM

Wrapping SRAM Wireless Blips (on drops)

Wondering if anyone has experience in wrapping SRAM wireless blips into the drops. SRAM technical guide (Page 19) makes it look so easy but I've tried and it's a nightmare to wrap.

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/do...ual.pdf#page=8

Any suggestions or photos of those that have done it successfully? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist604 View Post
Wondering if anyone has experience in wrapping SRAM wireless blips into the drops. SRAM technical guide (Page 19) makes it look so easy but I've tried and it's a nightmare to wrap.

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/do...ual.pdf#page=8

Any suggestions or photos of those that have done it successfully? Thanks.
Seems like the best advice might be directly from the source:
https://youtu.be/krvSJoxiyjg?si=6j40U7sqBsxIwsFv
Old 04-23-2024, 12:42 PM
Shifty Member

Probably similar to how you do it for the sprint shifters on Shimano. Size it up by wrapping it almost to the blip, cut the tape in that spot, wrap around fully, get annoyed, unwrap bars and throw tape in trash, try again and make it slightly better.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Seems like the best advice might be directly from the source:
https://youtu.be/krvSJoxiyjg?si=6j40U7sqBsxIwsFv
I LOVE a good visual guide for this type of stuff.

Although I don't really understand having the blip in a location where you can use your thumb, but also could already have used your index finger for the same shift. Maybe my hands are big enough to not matter.

FWIW, I like the blips on the tops so I can shift when on a long steady climb, or I'd put them under the drops closer to the end of the bars, so I could shift when out of the saddle sprinting or when I wasn't already covering the brakes.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:07 PM

I tried cutting the tape for the Shimano ones the first time I installed them. That was a nightmare as it dramatically reduced the strength of the tape which quickly broke in half as I tried to finish the wrap.

Since then I just wrap around them with no cutting which is easier and much more reversible. To my eye it looks perfectly fine.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:09 PM

SRAM manuals are the worst. So hard to read with all the languages mixed in and spreading simple things across 10 pages.

At least with this job your hands aren't dirty.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
I tried cutting the tape for the Shimano ones the first time I installed them. That was a nightmare as it dramatically reduced the strength of the tape which quickly broke in half as I tried to finish the wrap.

Since then I just wrap around them with no cutting which is easier and much more reversible. To my eye it looks perfectly fine.
This is exactly what I'm concerned about. I "tested" using some old bar tape and there is definitely a point of weakness where the tape is cut-out to accommodate the shifter. If I use a separate short piece of tape (per SRAM guide and video) it adds a lot of bulk and leaves a gap...I guess it's just a matter of trial and error (and trial and error, and trial and error)....
Old 04-23-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist604 View Post
This is exactly what I'm concerned about. I "tested" using some old bar tape and there is definitely a point of weakness where the tape is cut-out to accommodate the shifter. If I use a separate short piece of tape (per SRAM guide and video) it adds a lot of bulk and leaves a gap...I guess it's just a matter of trial and error (and trial and error, and trial and error)....
Additionally cutting the hole is not an exact science because the tape stretches. Good luck getting that right.

I would just try wrapping around with no cutting. You're likely to find you're happy enough with that result.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:

The secret to cutting the tape for Shimano sprint shifters:

Old 04-23-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I LOVE a good visual guide for this type of stuff.

Although I don't really understand having the blip in a location where you can use your thumb, but also could already have used your index finger for the same shift. Maybe my hands are big enough to not matter.

FWIW, I like the blips on the tops so I can shift when on a long steady climb, or I'd put them under the drops closer to the end of the bars, so I could shift when out of the saddle sprinting or when I wasn't already covering the brakes.
Totally agree with this.

When I was riding today in the drops, I tried reaching the standard AXS shifter with my index finger. It was easy!

I don't see the need to put blips by thumbs in the drops, unless I had tiny fingers or didn't like stretching my fingers.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
Totally agree with this.

When I was riding today in the drops, I tried reaching the standard AXS shifter with my index finger. It was easy!

I don't see the need to put blips by thumbs in the drops, unless I had tiny fingers or didn't like stretching my fingers.
Blips in the drops allow you to shift even during a sprint when you are fully gripping the bar. I also generally sprint from much lower in the drops that I might ride at a more moderate power output. Definitely can't reach the brifters from there, even with L/XL hands.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Blips in the drops allow you to shift even during a sprint when you are fully gripping the bar. I also generally sprint from much lower in the drops that I might ride at a more moderate power output. Definitely can't reach the brifters from there, even with L/XL hands.
I think that's what the 3 of us are saying... the video and install guide shows them way up near the shifters anyway. Where "we" would actually put them futher down the drops.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I think that's what the 3 of us are saying... the video and install guide shows them way up near the shifters anyway. Where "we" would actually put them futher down the drops.
Ah gotcha. I see it now. No I don't put them way up there - but I do use them to shift with my thumbs.