Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 10:37 PM

Anyone use Brooks bar tape?

Just wondering how they feel before I shell out $50 for tape. Comfortable or if they will last a long time? Thinking of the natural color to matchy matchy my saddle.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:46 PM

I like mine. I have my bars high so there is little pressure on my hands and I don't need a squishy padded tape.

One of our pals sells Handlebra and the reports are that it is even nicer than Brooks.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:51 PM

It feels good and wears well. Great grip in the rain. Some leather cleaner every once in awhile. I'm glad I made the switch. I used to change tape twice a year due to wear/dirt, but this is a mon-issue with leather. I just decided to replace it with some custom leather from Busyman.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:53 PM

If you're looking at the Cambium cotton tape, I've read it is difficult to put on because it's got no stretch and is stiff. Haven't tried it but I might soon to match a Cambium saddle.

I have Brooks leather bar tape which is easy to apply. No cushioning compared to modern synthetic or cork tapes. The stuff lasts forever and wears well, though. Only drawback I've encountered is that the Brooks leather is slippery IMO.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I like mine. I have my bars high so there is little pressure on my hands and I don't need a squishy padded tape.

One of our pals sells Handlebra and the reports are that it is even nicer than Brooks.

Wow those are really nice! That's got to be the most expensive bar tape out there!!
Old 05-27-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlincustom1 View Post
It feels good and wears well. Great grip in the rain. Some leather cleaner every once in awhile. I'm glad I made the switch. I used to change tape twice a year due to wear/dirt, but this is a mon-issue with leather. I just decided to replace it with some custom leather from Busyman.
I could be wrong...maybe Busyman has to be the most expensive tape out there...I couldn't find a price but dang they look like a great custom tape and saddle pair!
Old 05-27-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismo37 View Post
If you're looking at the Cambium cotton tape, I've read it is difficult to put on because it's got no stretch and is stiff. Haven't tried it but I might soon to match a Cambium saddle.

I have Brooks leather bar tape which is easy to apply. No cushioning compared to modern synthetic or cork tapes. The stuff lasts forever and wears well, though. Only drawback I've encountered is that the Brooks leather is slippery IMO.
Post a pic if you do and I will if I beat you to it! I do have a cambium natural that I think will look pretty awesome matching.
Never had leather tape but have lizard skins. They can get slippery when wet.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:08 AM

I have also liked the Brooks tape that I've used. Wraps clean, looks good, feels great (I don't wear gloves generally or need any padding)... wears fairly well. Have rewrapped tape multiple times without issue.

I have also used handlebra... and would say that it is noticeablly higher quality leather.. softer, wraps really smoothly... but you pay a premium (just about twice as much, right?).

I also like Fizik microtex.. so what the heck do I know.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:42 AM

I have used both the leather and cambium wraps. The leather is good, but not much padding if your into that. The cambium cotton has no give, gets dirty quickly and is slippery when wet. Not a fan of the cambium cotton tape, but it does seem quite durable.
I put fabric leather wrap on my Mxxxxxo and prefer it to the brooks. Berthoud makes some nice leather wrap as well, but even more expensive.

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 05-29-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:00 AM

The Brooks leather is luxurious and looks great. I also dont wear gloves and love the feel. I also use microtex on other bikes and prefer a hard smooth feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 05:01 AM
Lanterne rouge

I like Brooks tape. It works well.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:01 AM

It feels nice. My wife ordered some to match the saddle on her Fargo. It looks good too.
I can get pic if desired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 07:57 AM

I've used the Brooks tape, but I think the Velo Orange seamless tape is better.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:05 AM

Handlebra, Berthoud, and Cinelli Imperial are a bit nicer if you don't mind the cost differential - fewer / no seams, bit thicker
Old 05-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Vendor

Does installing it on a bike for a show count as using it?

It seemed really nice. Was a pain for bar end plugs and getting it to lay right around the lever bodies was more of a pain, but it seemed nice.