Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Prepping for Campy H11: Need Gravelbike carbon wheel recommendations

As some of you know, I've been struggling for awhile dealing with disc brakes on my campy equip'ed Mosaic.

Well now Campy has finally come through! But I can't celebrate yet because their rotors are centerlock only.

Super bad news for me, as I had just scored some very nice used Enve 3.4 Discs with R45 hubs and converted them to thru axle. Trouble is they are 6-bolt.

So then I thought to myself... ok, well I just won't use the campy rotors. But now I'm told they are a special size, and other rotors will either be too big or deliver "inferior performance".

After a year of riding off-road with my horrible spyres/campy set-up, I tell you the LAST thing I can deal with right now is inferior performance!

So now I'm debating new wheels entirely, verse swapping out my hubs.

Chris King hubs aren't cheap! But neither are new Enve wheels. What other options should I be considering??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I may have a deal for someone on some low mile 3.4 TA Enve wheels too.

Last edited by Duende; 05-26-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Take a look at Boyd's wheels. I have running a couple sets - 1 carbon 44mm set with White Industry hubs and 1 set of alloy rims with his house brand hubs. Both center lock disc. Both have been great.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:41 PM

You may think this is a joke but I would consider Campy Bora Ultra 35 Clinchers. If you are dropping that kind of dough on a group I would step it up with the wheels too. It would be awesome.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
As some of you know, I've been struggling for awhile dealing with disc brakes on my campy equip'ed Mosaic.

Well now Campy has finally come through! But I can't celebrate yet because their rotors are centerlock only.

Super bad news for me, as I had just scored some very nice used Enve 3.4 Discs with R45 hubs and converted them to thru axle. Trouble is they are 6-bolt.

So then I thought to myself... ok, well I just won't use the campy rotors. But now I'm told they are a special size, and other rotors will either be too big or deliver "inferior performance".

After a year of riding off-road with my horrible spyres/campy set-up, I tell you the LAST thing I can deal with right now is inferior performance!

So now I'm debating new wheels entirely, verse swapping out my hubs.

Chris King hubs aren't cheap! But neither are new Enve wheels. What other options should I be considering??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I may have a deal for someone on some low mile 3.4 TA Enve wheels too.
What you thinking on those wheels? Wish I could help you with a sweet centerlock set to swap you back but everything I have is 6 bolt.

Bet you could get a campy freehub for these guys or just run a shimano cassette: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reynolds-Ass...UAAOSwsW9Y2TJl

I've given up on campy for gravel. The H11 is cool but way too damn expensive.

Last edited by geordanh; 05-26-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:19 AM

Uh...relace the wheels and sell the R45s to recoup some cost? Seems like you'd be out maybe $400 with labor.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
You may think this is a joke but I would consider Campy Bora Ultra 35 Clinchers. If you are dropping that kind of dough on a group I would step it up with the wheels too. It would be awesome.
I'm just doing the shifters and disc calipers. Keeping my Chorus gruppo.

I run Bora ones on my road bike. They've been amazing. But wasn't sure how well they'd hold up off road.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
What you thinking on those wheels? Wish I could help you with a sweet centerlock set to swap you back but everything I have is 6 bolt.

Bet you could get a campy freehub for these guys or just run a shimano cassette: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reynolds-Ass...UAAOSwsW9Y2TJl

I've given up on campy for gravel. The H11 is cool but way too damn expensive.
Maybe I'm not understanding how pricey h11 is. I'll pm you if/when I sell the wheels. It will be a good price.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
Uh...relace the wheels and sell the R45s to recoup some cost? Seems like you'd be out maybe $400 with labor.
Definitely gonna look into this for sure.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Bike Guy

you could save some costs and switch to DT 240 hubs when you relace the wheels. Selling the CK hubs would then get you closer to break even point ...
Old 05-27-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I'm just doing the shifters and disc calipers. Keeping my Chorus gruppo.

I run Bora ones on my road bike. They've been amazing. But wasn't sure how well they'd hold up off road.
Some folks believe that they will do just fine. Its just a thought.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:30 PM

I used a set of centerlock dt 350 hubs laced to a23. Works great.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM

What use?

Will you be using the wheels for mostly road? Or more like 50/50 offroad?

If more road it is tough to beat the new Enve 3.4 wheelset- get it with cetnerlock DT hubs and Campy.

If more dirt get M50 wheels with the same hubs.

I have ridden the crap out of my M50 wheels- they are awesome.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Will you be using the wheels for mostly road? Or more like 50/50 offroad?

If more road it is tough to beat the new Enve 3.4 wheelset- get it with cetnerlock DT hubs and Campy.

If more dirt get M50 wheels with the same hubs.

I have ridden the crap out of my M50 wheels- they are awesome.
50/50 road/off-road. Been naively doing some single track too, but that has to stop until I get my brakes working better. Took a pretty bad spill last weekend.

Right now as I mentioned, I have the older 3.4s. Be rather pricey to upgrade to the new ones. Just want to make sure it's worth it.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:22 PM

Older 3.4 is narrower and not tubeless.
New 3.4 will fare far better offroad.

Quote:
50/50 road/off-road. Been naively doing some single track too, but that has to stop until I get my brakes working better. Took a pretty bad spill last weekend.

Right now as I mentioned, I have the older 3.4s. Be rather pricey to upgrade to the new ones. Just want to make sure it's worth it.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:59 AM

you converted the R45 to Campagnolo AND thru-axle? When I looked into this a while back that combination wasn't possible but I can't remember the details of why.

Regardless you've got a nice set of wheels but not a nice set of wheels for what you want. A DT 350 hub laced to a wider, tubeless-ready rim will be a much better wheelset, and you'll be able to use the Campag rotors. Don't trade performance for bling.