Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Ditching the Data

I've been riding more and more solo these days and paying less and less attention to the numbers on my computer. for so many years it seems the feedback from the computer was important but lately I've been getting the urge to pull all electronics off of my bike. has anybody else taking the plunge into "feel" only riding and eliminated any type of data feedback?
Old 05-26-2017, 10:40 AM

I did about 3 years ago. I ride solo 99.9% of the time and don't necessarily feel the need to collect data anymore. I don't race and ride for the exercise and enjoyment. I have a general idea of the kind of miles I put in and the time it takes me. I don't really miss the computer or data.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:43 AM

That would be me, no electronics. I like riding by feel because it's the feeling of riding that I've always enjoyed. Data from instruments is an abstraction from the experience -- a substitution of the part for the whole. It's way too easy for the data to become an end in itself, and overshadow the experience.

All the same, I might put an Avocet 20 on one bike if I could find one... those were nicely crafted.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Have been in and out of this recently.

At the moment I have Strava Beacon running on my phone in the jersey pocket (my wife is a bit of a worrier - and I don't blame her given all the news lately of riders getting run over)...and a Garmin 230 on my wrist, but nothing in my line of sight. I like being able to check time/distance when I have somewhere to get back to on time. And I've still been strapping up my HRM and sometimes have my watch just showing HR to help me get better at pacing my climbing to stay out of the red-zone. I do love just generally cruising along with no distractions on the bars and losing sense of time/space, which is what I really need some days..

All that said, I've got a SRM sitting on the parts shelf and a Garmin 520 on order - still deciding if I want to use them or not - the Garmin for mapping some adventure rides and getting direction capability, and the SRM for doing some targeted training and tracking of overall effort.

I think it's fine to float in and out of the data game - just know what you're after for a ride, and go there.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:49 AM

I got rid of the computers on my bikes years ago. I bike in part to get away from computers.

The only time I ever use them is for endurance races where I may need to track a cue sheet. Even then if I have raced the route before, my internal compass is solid so I often leave the electronics at home anyway.

Last edited by kingpin75s; 05-26-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: stuff
Old 05-26-2017, 11:01 AM

About 8 years ago I took the silly thing off the bars and I've enjoyed riding more ever since then. The first ride or two it seems like something is missing and then you realize that the thing that had been missing is the quiet of the mind and deep appreciation of what is around you.

Give it a try - you can always put it back on later if you feel the need.

dave
Old 05-26-2017, 11:01 AM

I just started using data. i like it but try not to get caught up in it. its nice for recording mileage and general progress, and its great for training, if you are training. but if you have nothing to train for, whats the data for?

lately i just tuck the comp in a pocket and only check it at the end of rides.
but im working my way up to more century rides and enjoy the data for logging miles and tracking my responses to training. also i farm for work, so i have to watch ho much i ride to find a balance.

so yeah, rides with no data are great, as are undocumented lattes.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
About 8 years ago I took the silly thing off the bars and I've enjoyed riding more ever since then. The first ride or two it seems like something is missing and then you realize that the thing that had been missing is the quiet of the mind and deep appreciation of what is around you.

Give it a try - you can always put it back on later if you feel the need.

dave
Well said.

Most important data point for me... my resting heart rate.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM

The only time I have ever used a computer is for time trialling when I raced....other than that, nada. Look, it's either a human powered vehicle or not..
Old 05-26-2017, 11:39 AM

I've been riding unplugged for several years now. Yes, I turn on Strava on my phone at the start, but that stays in my pocket until I'm done. Occasionally I use a Garmin for navigation in unfamiliar areas.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:49 AM

+1
I ride "UNPLUGGED" as well. have been for many years now. I only run the Strava app on my phone and then only look at it AFTER the ride.

Makes riding so much more enjoyable.

No garmin ... No rules!
Old 05-26-2017, 11:50 AM

Computers were not in the market when I started racing and then cat eye made the devices massive, then were not cheap so I never used one. like 25 years later I bought one on sale and used it maybe 1 week... simple stuff, speed, cadence and time... I know you guys are talking about power meters info and who knows what else but for the regular joe pretty much IMO besides a watch nothing else is needed. My averages are always like 17 mph because I dont even use gearing that big to go faster anyways...

Do not need computer at all and probably I never will...
Old 05-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Descent fitness

It's been about 3 years since I stopped regularly using a computer and after about a month, I stopped missing it and began to really tune into the ride and how I felt. My old goals centered around mileage, avg speed, etc. My new goals center about getting out when I can, riding within myself, pushing it occasionally while listening to my body and enjoying the experience. There's no guilt about having to get in x hours/week. I don't miss the numbers at all.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:51 AM

I have a basic computer that tracks miles and speed. It's handy, but not a distraction. Works for me.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:44 PM

I only use one when leading backcountry trips to let the group know how many more miles they have to cover to get to the next water source or campsite.