Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
100% in fact, anyone who wants to can

sorry for derailing thread! but to the OP, doesn't this sound like a good reason to move to NYC?

I am the OP, and yes ... yes it does.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:27 PM

I'd look at Morning Side Heights (on the UWS). The three things you want to be close to are

-The Hudson River Bike Path (for commuting, it's an easy N/S way around Manhattan)
-Central Park (Good for early Am laps)
-Riverside Drive to ride up to the George Washington Bridge. (Good for riding on River Road / 9W on the weekends)

Don't do Brooklyn, you add 20 unpleasant miles to any ride to NJ. Morningside Heights also has some more affordable 2 bedroom apts.

Feel free to DM with any questions.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:30 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
for the past 2 years, i've done a few 95~ mile rides in the park / ducked out right before i hit 100. i've been keeping it as a goal of mine, but i think i should probably knock it out this year.
You are far more mentally tough than I am. 60 miles was as far as I ever rode in the park, and even that felt like I'd go mad. Once, years ago, when I did triathlons, I tried to run 26.2 miles inside CP. I hit 20 then bailed; I just couldn't face one more loop. Sanity, for me, in the park was to keep it shorter but faster. Hats off to you, sir!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
want to join me for a century in the park later this year?
i'd be honored. better question is when could we do it, and does it have to be soon?

also, 95 miles? i hope it wasn't all solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
So wrong and yet so right. If I move to NY, can I join?
i once did ~65 miles around Hains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
You are far more mentally tough than I am. 60 miles was as far as I ever rode in the park, and even that felt like I'd go mad. Once, years ago, when I did triathlons, I tried to run 26.2 miles inside CP. I hit 20 then bailed; I just couldn't face one more loop. Sanity, for me, in the park was to keep it shorter but faster. Hats off to you, sir!
running one lap around CP gets tedious after a it becomes a routine. Big reason why i started cycling. Somehow the unease/dread doesn't kick in until well after 30+ miles
Old 02-04-2017, 08:20 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
want to join me for a century in the park later this year?
Not a chance. Go nuts goin' 'round & 'round. Laps in the Park is to the open road like what the Ferrari test track at Fiorano is to Spa Franchochamps. Add to the mix tourists in high season and laps in the Park becomes like riding inside a pachinko machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti_on_Steel View Post
Don't do Brooklyn, you add 20 unpleasant miles to any ride to NJ. Morningside Heights also has some more affordable 2 bedroom apts.
Affordability is essentially not an issue it seems but still prone to negotiation and closing a deal on location pay differential. Not a bad bene if it can be gotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownjewelwl View Post
i would just say there is no free lunch...bunch of finance dudes keep the market efficient...there is always a trade off
Finance? Naw, D.C. relocating to New York is probably Law.

I'll admit I'm not convinced that anybody that gets a good opportunity to do well in this town can still put family first as a priority - and furthermore, why go at reduced speed here even if you could? A way to make time for the family can always be found but nobody is paying anybody in this town to go at 3/4 speed.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

Max miles in parks I have done is maybe 35. Get really boring, quick. Like fuzz said, add tourists and idiots and you have a very unpleasant ride. That said prospect park is a little better than central when it comes to tourists
Old 02-04-2017, 09:56 PM
ferro verum est

When I lived in New York (Morningside Heights), I loved riding in Central Park...albeit at night. It was nice to be able to ride at 8, 9, 10pm, and do laps with the other hardcore trainers when there's no crowd. Night riding in Metro Boston with drivers as they are is just scary. Add in weekend rides up 9W to Piermont, Bear Mountain, or beyond, and you have a decent selection of riding to keep things interesting.

Quote:
100% in fact, anyone who wants to can

for the past 2 years, i've done a few 95~ mile rides in the park / ducked out right before i hit 100. i've been keeping it as a goal of mine, but i think i should probably knock it out this year.

sorry for derailing thread! but to the OP, doesn't this sound like a good reason to move to NYC?
You should try Everesting in CP!

Last edited by sonicCows; 02-04-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:38 AM

Consider Morningside Heights, near Columbia University. It's a short commute to midtown via the A train, which runs without any stops between 125th and 59th. It's close to Central Park, if you want to do laps there during the week. It's an easy ride up to the GWB and points beyond. It's very close to the Harlem-125th St stop on Metro-North, and on a weekend you can get out quickly to North White Plains, Tarrytown, or Greenwich for more interesting rides.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
When I lived in New York (Morningside Heights), I loved riding in Central Park...albeit at night. It was nice to be able to ride at 8, 9, 10pm, and do laps with the other hardcore trainers when there's no crowd. Night riding in Metro Boston with drivers as they are is just scary. Add in weekend rides up 9W to Piermont, Bear Mountain, or beyond, and you have a decent selection of riding to keep things interesting.

You should try Everesting in CP!
when was this? When I was in NYC (2009-2012), for most of September - April, the park is pretty deserted by then. Occasionally we'd have team Barloworld, consisted of a few portly gentlemen in full aero gear, rolling around the park.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Consider Morningside Heights, near Columbia University. It's a short commute to midtown via the A train, which runs without any stops between 125th and 59th. It's close to Central Park, if you want to do laps there during the week. It's an easy ride up to the GWB and points beyond. It's very close to the Harlem-125th St stop on Metro-North, and on a weekend you can get out quickly to North White Plains, Tarrytown, or Greenwich for more interesting rides.
Lived in Stamford, commuted down to the City on the northern line for work. It's bike friendly but there are Just a LOT OF people, cars, taxis, and more people. I had to get used to riding in a city that size but it is magical. Living off the island of Manhattan would save you quite a bit dough for you to purchase your "NEW CITY BIKE"Lol.. It's all so close and paths lead over all the bridges in town which makes it reative. have a great time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2017, 10:13 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
The OP is trying to get a generous "cost of location" increase so if he makes good on this, he can pick pretty much any decent location anywhere from TriBeCa to UES/UWS. Plus the spouse wants the live in the core of what most consider prime Manhattan. She's right about this and how can you fault that - I wouldn't move to NY and live in the burbs which, as nice as say Larchmont may be, feels just like Bethesda.

Good luck to the OP and welcome to NY.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
The OP is trying to get a generous "cost of location" increase so if he makes good on this, he can pick pretty much any decent location anywhere from TriBeCa to UES/UWS. Plus the spouse wants the live in the core of what most consider prime Manhattan.
But if cycling is a consideration, riding through "prime Manhattan" gets old quickly.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:33 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
But if cycling is a consideration, riding through "prime Manhattan" gets old quickly.
100% right! And how! But as long as he knows what it is, that's maybe a compromise he'll accept.

I'll give a slightly different take on that riding in Prospect or Central parks isn't as bad as could be - the open road is increasingly hazardous with the rise of distracted driving. The parks have different hazards but sheet metal is usually not the predominant threat.

What can I tell ya? We work with what we've got, right?
Old 02-05-2017, 11:49 AM

Fuzz, you hit the nail on the head about the objectives. My point to post here was essentially to know, when it comes to brass tacks, which way to lean.

Priorities are:
1) Family (so short commute, comfortable housing, Happy wife)

2) career
2.5) cycling

I will keep the forum posted and if we move, would love to go for a spin with locals and buy the first round afterward.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:12 PM

My two cents (assuming that you want to live in the city)

Find the subway stop that is closest to your office. Figure out what lines run through that stop and shop for real estate accordingly. For example, if your office is E 51 St., you might find parts Queens attractive (and much more affordable that either Manhattan or Brooklyn.

As for the riding, you don't move to NYC for the riding. If you like the UWS, great but don't do it for the riding. Yes, you're closer to the GWB and NJ but the ride up route 9 gets just as old as looping the park.

One neglected resource: the various commuter railroads. With the purchase of a $5 lifetime pass, you can take your bike on the train. This gives the chance to ride all sorts of places that you wouldn't expect. For example, once or twice a year, I take MetroNorth to Pine Plains, ride up to the CT/Mass border and then ride down Rt 7 to Long Island Sound. It's then an easy ride on the train home.

Good luck on the move.