Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 06:47 PM

Kurt kinetic rock and roll

I'm looking to pick up a trainer over the summer to replace an old Blackburn. Is there any reason NOT to buy a Kurt kinetic rock and roll? I think the regular model would be fine, and I don't need anything fancy, but might be able to get a R&R for a good price. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:55 PM

I think they take up a good deal more floor space
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM

Those are nice, but huge and heavy. Can probably get a 'smart' trainer for same money. Some good deals on Tacx if buying across the pond.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:15 PM

That is huge, and when I tried it, it felt unstable. if you are putting money on a new trainer smart trainer is the way to go.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 09:24 PM

I've been using a RnR w the inRide thing and actually really like it. I got it after having issues with a Kickr and the new Cyclops Hammer. I have a dedicated cassette/wheel/trainer-tire, so swaps are easy. And I bought the heavy flywheel add-on, which keeps it feeling really smooth. It's quieter than the smart trainers I tried and seems much more durable long term. I got mine for a steal on Steep n' Cheap + Active Junky, and the flywheel from Brands Cycle. The BT inRide system hasn't hiccuped once and the readings seem consistent enough for me to have some power-based verification (I'll know better when I get my SRM hooked up shortly). The cadence reading is always off though..

Another long-term durable option is rollers plus stand plus resistance. I have two sets of rollers I'm waiting to try once I get my space more tidy (would be easier if I'd stop buying more bikes!). Hope that helps...
Old 05-25-2017, 04:05 AM

I have had a rock n roll for 4 plus years and do lots of trainer time during the winters. Really like it. Yes, it is big, but it stays in one place. I have power on my bike, so don't need a smart trainer. I REALLY like the motion, seems natural and provides much more comfort than a stationary trainer.

I have a few days this winter where I used a classic stationary trainer and the difference was HUGE. Was sore and uncomfortable.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:37 AM

I pretty much only train indoors.

In 2016 I started using a homemade rocking trainer gizmo (getting a few plates welded onto a CycleOps frame), modeled (poorly) after the R&R. I found myself reverting to poorer pedaling habits. With the bike rigid I focus more on form/etc, spin more, blah blah. With the bike not so rigid I tend to push more, spin less, rock my shoulders.

I much prefer sprinting on the R&R type set up but currently I have my bike on a rigid frame. For now I'm focusing on regaining some suppleness and aerobic capacity, not very concerned about sprinting indoors.

The Kinetic Fluid unit is great. More consistent, never leaks because of its patented design. The reason I had an extra CycleOps frame is that I've gone through 3 fluid and 1 electromagnetic ("smart" before smart) CycleOps, albeit in 20? 22? years. I'm sitting on 2 leaked Fluid2s right now.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 AM

I have both versions of the Kurt Kinetic - the Rock and Roll and the standard plain Jane fluid model. I use the standard one for TT warm ups.

I use the Rock and Roll as my in-home trainer only. You can move it around, but it takes up some space and it's heavy.

The Rock & Roll is the most comfortable trainer I have ever used. It moves a bit while you are on it. I don't feel like I am straddling a sawhorse when I am riding it, like I have felt on other trainers. It has some natural "give" to it and feels more like riding on the road. You can adjust this amount of play a bit if you feel the need.

I can't manage to stand out of the saddle on it and feel comfortable, though. Feels awkward. But for seated stuff, it's nice, as trainers go. I do hate riding any trainer and have only been on a trainer once this season (at an indoor TT), thank goodness. The weather has been decent and I have a job that allows me to get outside during the day for a ride sometimes.

Bought my Rock & Roll as a floor model from my local shop and got a sweet deal on it. The deal included the flywheel weight and a front wheel stand. My standard trainer was found via local Craigslist, for $50. I couldn't believe the deal on it. It's in great shape.

Last edited by berserk87; 05-25-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Thanks all, came across a deal on a used R&R but I think I'll wait for the standard model since they do seem to pop up on CL.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:45 PM

I got my R & R for $200 including a static wheel stand and flywheel on CL. I really it like for the small side to side motion while sitting and the big movement when standing. You can adjust the amount of motion with the rubber isolators. Sold my Blackburn after getting it and will likely sell the Kreitler rollers since I haven't used it since.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:36 AM

The R&R is great. You won't be sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 04:41 AM

As already mentioned, big, heavy, and weird feeling (unstable).
Old 05-28-2017, 07:58 AM

It's great, sort of a game changer!

For years I had regular fixed position trainers-wind, fluid, magnetic, Kurt Kinetic, you name it..... and then I read some reviews and watched some YouTube videos on the Rock and Roll and bought one.

It's much easier on your joints, much more comfortable to ride, and makes for a much more enjoyable workout. You are supposed to be "unstable" on it, but you quickly get used to it. It is big, but the legs come off easily.

So much better than a static position trainer, you feel much more like you are riding outside as you get movement up, down, left, and right. It's got a happy little "give" and "bounce" and side to side gyration. It's not the real thing but you'll love it.

If you are totally unsure then maybe buy one used and sell it. They are expensive!