Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2023, 10:07 AM
ol' Colaraddy

New to me CTS?

Well I found what for me is a dream bike, I believe it is a 2001 CTS, heavily scratched up was apparently much loved by the previous owner. I’m simply going to update her to 11 speed XTR single chain ring etc. If any one has any info about this bike I would be grateful. She is my first Serotta MTB. Her serial no is SP 38 033, I’m wondering if Dave Kirk had a hand in her genesis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9845.jpg (82.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9847.jpg (67.7 KB, 159 views)

Growing older but not up
Old 08-30-2023, 10:33 AM

The Colorado Soft Tail was an interesting thing. I’d built my own full Ti suspension bike as an after work project and it really turned me on to how much suspension could help. At the time full suspension bikes were’t used for racing as they were looked at as too heavy and bouncy so the idea of a limited travel race bike was stuck in my head.

I had a rough idea of how I wanted to do it and I went to Ben Serotta and just causally floated the idea to see what he thought. He was not excited by the idea but he didn’t say “no” and in my youthful mind that left the door open. I did a bunch of design work on the bits and pieces needed to make it happen and when Ben left for a dealer tour I rushed and built two of what would become the CST….one for me and one for a gifted racer and fellow employee named Greg.

We had fully finished and production ready prototypes done and being tested by the time Ben got back and I rolled one into his office and held my breath in anticipation of an angry boss. But Ben was very cool about it. When I showed him how few special parts were needed to build the frames (nearly everything was off the shelf) he liked the idea. Further testing resulted in some very minor changes but the overall concept held. The bike was designed under cover in about 2 days and we had bikes on the ground in less than a week.

I really liked the ride but feel that they would have benefited from a custom shock to deal with the travel ratio. It would have given a better ride with more adjustability to suit the rider (it was not great for super light riders as the shock couldn’t be made soft enough given that chainstays were effectively springs too). I guess they offered them for some time after I left in 1999. It was a bit of a unicorn but I liked them.

dave
Old 08-30-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
The Colorado Soft Tail was an interesting thing. I’d built my own full Ti suspension bike as an after work project and it really turned me on to how much suspension could help. At the time full suspension bikes were’t used for racing as they were looked at as too heavy and bouncy so the idea of a limited travel race bike was stuck in my head.

I had a rough idea of how I wanted to do it and I went to Ben Serotta and just causally floated the idea to see what he thought. He was not excited by the idea but he didn’t say “no” and in my youthful mind that left the door open. I did a bunch of design work on the bits and pieces needed to make it happen and when Ben left for a dealer tour I rushed and built two of what would become the CST….one for me and one for a gifted racer and fellow employee named Greg.

We had fully finished and production ready prototypes done and being tested by the time Ben got back and I rolled one into his office and held my breath in anticipation of an angry boss. But Ben was very cool about it. When I showed him how few special parts were needed to build the frames (nearly everything was off the shelf) he liked the idea. Further testing resulted in some very minor changes but the overall concept held. The bike was designed under cover in about 2 days and we had bikes on the ground in less than a week.

I really liked the ride but feel that they would have benefited from a custom shock to deal with the travel ratio. It would have given a better ride with more adjustability to suit the rider (it was not great for super light riders as the shock couldn’t be made soft enough given that chainstays were effectively springs too). I guess they offered them for some time after I left in 1999. It was a bit of a unicorn but I liked them.

dave
^^^ Part of what makes this such a great place
Old 08-30-2023, 11:45 AM
ZhugeLiang

Dave pal is a unicorn.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:24 PM

Great to see another one here. Now you will have to look for a road version. Here are my pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serotta CST JSTSP (2)a.jpg (154.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Serotta Softail road cr.jpg (148.9 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-30-2023, 12:27 PM
ol' Colaraddy

Many many thanks

Thanks Dave for the info, I was looking for a smaller form factor bike to make it easier to transport than my Surly Karate Monkey, and I’m not a suspension guy, all my bikes are on rigid/carbon forks, so this is my first kinda full suspension bike, one thing I really noticed is the amount of fun this bike is to just ride around, the rear shock seems good to me, the fork is a mystery, downloaded the manual and will go from there.
Thanks again for your input, that stuff matters a lot to me.

Growing older but not up
Old 08-30-2023, 12:32 PM
ol' Colaraddy

Next one has gotta be a CX bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Great to see another one here. Now you will have to look for a road version. Here are my pair.
Gorgeous twins in your quiver there!

I’ve had a CTi, lovely bike, sold it to buy a Ducati, stupid me. Still have my CO and Atlanta. Didn’t know that Serotta did a Softail road bike, I’ve gotta find my Paris-Roubaix Rockshox fork now.

Growing older but not up

Tags
mtb, serotta, titanium