Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1centaur
Any thoughts what the other bikes on the list would be?
Spectrum Ti
Time
Colnago C50
Look 585 Ultra

These are in my list of uberbikes. None of them cheap. All of them with a proven build and pedigree.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:03 AM

Thumbs up perfect list

Thats my first 4 bikes of five, the fifth being a z-1 parlee
Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Not a generally a fan of integrated seatposts but if it was to be an off the rack the Carrera Ilos would be my no 1. Gorgeous. Custom (which as a tall guy I prefer) would be a Serotta 1,2 and 3. Can't tell you that they are the best, I just love 'em.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...Mil06-Carrera1

http://www.carrera-podium.it/eng/ilos.html#
Old 12-20-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000
Spectrum Ti
Time
Colnago C50
Look 585 Ultra

These are in my list of uberbikes. None of them cheap. All of them with a proven build and pedigree.

saab,
you steal a plane from the airline... sell it...you can buy record equipped versions of all of these.
just a thought.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:50 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep
saab,
you steal a plane from the airline... sell it...you can buy record equipped versions of all of these.
just a thought.
Steve, could you get Rustem to get me new cross bike?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep
saab,
just a thought.
Roger on the aircraft theft!!! The FBI, TSA, CIA and all the other acronyms will love me for that one!

Sometimes I also just look at my CIII and want to tell Serotta to make another one, a centimeter smaller with race-specific geometry and a pump peg and quit worrying about it all!! Sell my three bikes and replace them with one steel racing Serotta. Hmmm......
Old 12-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Bike Fitter

Quote:
Sometimes I also just look at my CIII and want to tell Serotta to make another one, a centimeter smaller with race-specific geometry and a pump peg and quit worrying about it all!! Sell my three bikes and replace them with one steel racing Serotta. Hmmm......
What would that take , a higher BB so the frame goes from a 57 to a 56 ? a cm longer TT and take off the head tube extension. Forget the HTA on the HSG , the end result is the same trail, if you want the trail faster now just go with a longer fork rake or just order your new bike with the old 73.5 HTA and keep the 43 mm rake for a 5.6 trail. No Biggie. I swear you'd all think Serotta never made a racing bike before. Geez its all been re-packaged for a new and improved product .
Old 12-21-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
What would that take , a higher BB so the frame goes from a 57 to a 56 ? a cm longer TT and take off the head tube extension. Forget the HTA on the HSG , the end result is the same trail, if you want the trail faster now just go with a longer fork rake or just order your new bike with the old 73.5 HTA and keep the 43 mm rake for a 5.6 trail. No Biggie. I swear you'd all think Serotta never made a racing bike before. Geez its all been re-packaged for a new and improved product .
I KNOW that Serotta has before and can again build a racing frame. But my CIII is not. It is a superb bike, to be sure, but in terms of the go-fast geo like the wooden Merckxspeed and Look it is not. Still, if I ABSOLUTELY HAD to sell 2 of the 3 main rides, the Serotta would prolly be the keeper.

Smiley, I like my Serotta. Don't misunderstand. But I can't tell them how to do the the geometry 'cuz I don't know geo.

If I had to say, I would tell them to make it one CM smaller, keep the TT the same, shorten the chainstays about 8 mm and do something to shorten up the front center.

But I am not a bike designer.

So if this idea turns to fruition I will go to a Serotta dealer with my Serotta, determine the desired contact points and instruct them on the desired handling and stiffness characteristics a al Look and Merckx.

This could happen. No joke.

As the loyal reader knows, I am very big on steel despite my recent infatuation with carbon.

Design trumps material any day. And steel is good anyway. So well-designed steel must be kicka$$...huh?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
I KNOW that Serotta has before and can again build a racing frame. But my CIII is not. It is a superb bike, to be sure, but in terms of the go-fast geo like the wooden Merckxspeed and Look it is not. Still, if I ABSOLUTELY HAD to sell 2 of the 3 main rides, the Serotta would prolly be the keeper.

Smiley, I like my Serotta. Don't misunderstand. But I can't tell them how to do the the geometry 'cuz I don't know geo.

If I had to say, I would tell them to make it one CM smaller, keep the TT the same, shorten the chainstays about 8 mm and do something to shorten up the front center.

But I am not a bike designer.

So if this idea turns to fruition I will go to a Serotta dealer with my Serotta, determine the desired contact points and instruct them on the desired handling and stiffness characteristics a al Look and Merckx.

This could happen. No joke.

As the loyal reader knows, I am very big on steel despite my recent infatuation with carbon.

Design trumps material any day. And steel is good anyway. So well-designed steel must be kicka$$...huh?
I think the CIII could have been ordered with custom geos. If I recall, you bought this used, right? So, my guess is if you had bought the CIII from Serotta you could have asked for a "racing bike" and you would have gotten one.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti
I think the CIII could have been ordered with custom geos. If I recall, you bought this used, right? So, my guess is if you had bought the CIII from Serotta you could have asked for a "racing bike" and you would have gotten one.
Yes, my CIII was 'used'. But barely. I am absolutely NOT dissatisfied with the CIII. It has been and continues to be one of my favorite bikes for its obvious quality of construction and aesthetic. I like the bike. And like I say, it is not unsatisfying. But if I could change anything, I would make it a race bike. But as a buyer on a budget, beggars can't be choosers. This bike is a 'stock' CIII and I like it very much. I would not be faster on a racing CIII, but it would probably feel faster.

If I choose to replace the CIII with another Serotta steel, it will probably look almost identical. But it will have race bike geometry. But I am a sucker for a pretty face and the Serotta CIII I am lucky enough to own is the prettiest bike I have ever owned. Any successive steel Serotta will have an identical or nearly identical color scheme.

So there.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:15 PM

Anyone riding an HSG bike yet?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:32 PM

What I Would Love

A custom Legend with a baseball bat sized seat tube at the bb and hsg geo with regular ti seatstays and red, white and natural sizzler paint job! I think I'd prefer that to about any bike out there. But by the time you add it all up the frame and fork would come to close to 5K. I've had 4 serottas, own 2 at the moment and will probably never buy another (maybee used) just because I can't justify that kind of money for a bike. No serotta bashing, I think there one of the best out there, but there now above my comfort level dollar wise.

Mike

Tags
hsg, serotta