Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2006, 03:16 PM

The headtubes seem short on paper. But Serotta knows a lot more about proper design than I do so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I would have to see one and probably ride one before I would buy though. When the time comes I willl have to find a dealer with one in stock.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:56 PM
05Fierte TI

As I have just gone thru the fitting process for my cda, I will add to the head tube being too short on the HSG's for my build. If the top tube is correct and I do not flip stem upside down, my rib cage would hit my thighs when in the drops.

I really wanted to like the bike, but it just will not work. My Fierte has no spacers under the stem, but the shift to the HSG is too much!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:42 PM
inappropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fierte TI
As I have just gone thru the fitting process for my cda, I will add to the head tube being too short on the HSG's for my build. If the top tube is correct and I do not flip stem upside down, my rib cage would hit my thighs when in the drops.

I really wanted to like the bike, but it just will not work. My Fierte has no spacers under the stem, but the shift to the HSG is too much!!!
So then that will fit you perfectly and you will enjoy it.... Mazel Tov!

Different people have different needs, and that is the beauty of it all. Now there are more options. for everyones flexability. You can ride the fierte and someone with a different need can fit on the HSG where they would normally look to another manufacturer for a stock geometry road bike.

Brilliant!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Arr...Red Light Pirates!!

Probably a stupid question, but...

Did Serotta ever consider a HSG Track model? I think that this could possibly sell with the new fixed gear craze. Just my $.02.

Pettit

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." -Pre

My Heart of Steel
Old 12-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Serpico

Quote:
Originally Posted by petitelilpettit
Did Serotta ever consider a HSG Track model? I think that this could possibly sell with the new fixed gear craze. Just my $.02.

Pettit
needs a hip name though. I'm throwin' out 'vauxhall' and 'pendleton'--ya feelin' me?! what about logo wear--hows about some adidas track suits that say 'ride one and see'? $300 titanium bottle cage sized for a pbr can. nice.

I think they could make a _serious_ track bike, but those hipster bikes cost less than a set of wheels. no way they're paying $3k a frame for someone to just pull the decals off and lock it to a parking meter.

if track guys are racing these--then they'll get respect. I say get more folks racing their (serotta's) frames where they can be seen. people are posting pics non-stop of sweet-as-hell bikes in the mud or ridin' the pines, but none say serotta. they could do anything to get as many people as possible riding their stuff at competitions. people see that, well--they wanna buy the bike.

bmc=case in point

just my opinion
Old 12-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Arr...Red Light Pirates!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico
needs a hip name though. I'm throwin' out 'vauxhall' and 'pendleton'--ya feelin' me?! what about logo wear--hows about some adidas track suits that say 'ride one and see'? $300 titanium bottle cage sized for a pbr can. nice.

I think they could make a _serious_ track bike, but those hipster bikes cost less than a set of wheels. no way they're paying $3k a frame for someone to just pull the decals off and lock it to a parking meter.

if track guys are racing these--then they'll get respect. I say get more folks racing their (serotta's) frames where they can be seen. people are posting pics non-stop of sweet-as-hell bikes in the mud or ridin' the pines, but none say serotta. they could do anything to get as many people as possible riding their stuff at competitions. people see that, well--they wanna buy the bike.

bmc=case in point

just my opinion
Sorry, Serpico. I knew what I was trying to say, and I was suggesting a HSG Track model for a true track bike. Serotta would not be able to compete with Surly, EAI or IRO for cheap fixie frames. However, I could see a HSG Track model being a hit. Especially if it is steel. The only problem would be if you would make it specifically for velodrome usage only or also make it with brake holes for a street trainer. I dunno, but I think I am planning a Serotta track bike down the ways.

Pettit

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." -Pre

My Heart of Steel
Old 12-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Serpico

the hsg cross bike is a great price point imo. I think they can sell a bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by petitelilpettit
Sorry, Serpico. I knew what I was trying to say, and I was suggesting a HSG Track model for a true track bike. Serotta would not be able to compete with Surly, EAI or IRO for cheap fixie frames. However, I could see a HSG Track model being a hit. Especially if it is steel. The only problem would be if you would make it specifically for velodrome usage only or also make it with brake holes for a street trainer. I dunno, but I think I am planning a Serotta track bike down the ways.

Pettit
Old 12-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Not a robot

Years ago I remember drooling over Tim Goodwin's custom Csi track bike at RBM in Richardson, TX. I can't remember if it was white or frost white, and since Tim was at least a half foot shorter than me it was nowhere near my size, but I distinctly recall feeling that I WANTED THAT. (I ended up buying an Atlanta, then later a Csi from Tim).

I have no doubt that Serotta has both the knowlege and skill to make an absolutley killer track bike in stock sizes. But, I think the dilemma here again would be the price point. I think many of the hardcore trackies would spend the extra couple hundred bucks for full-custom (and you can get that right now, if you want it, right?).

I just wish they'd reconsider the graphics for these stock models. I've always thought Serotta's were some of the classiest bikes out there, but these new graphics just give them a "cheap" feel. YMMV considerably.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason E
So then that will fit you perfectly and you will enjoy it.... Mazel Tov!

Different people have different needs, and that is the beauty of it all. Now there are more options. for everyones flexability. You can ride the fierte and someone with a different need can fit on the HSG where they would normally look to another manufacturer for a stock geometry road bike.

Brilliant!
So the two choices are now the Fierte and the HSG geometries? What happened to the "standard" stock sizing? It looks like I'm right smack-dab in between these two ends of the spectrum, as I suspect many others are. I know I can get full-custom geometry for nearly the same price, but I find it odd that this middle-ground has disappeared from their website. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Bike Fitter

Geez guys nothing really has changed with Serotta, you want a TRACK bike order one in any material you want. HSG is just a way to get dealers to put stuff on the floor that they can sell with no client requested options. The Fierte Line was a really good seller for Serotta that way so why not expand the concept to the other lines. So for me as a fitter HSG takes me pretty much out of the equation EXCEPT most of the clients that I see would not fit well on long and low racing bikes, for that matter I could not ride an HSG geometry either for that very fact that I need a higher handlebar placement.

So relax and if you want it they shall build it except an Hors Categorie or a Uniscasi Steel bike

I applaud Serotta for making a lower price point bike available BUT I think the landscape is changing so fast with Carbone Fibre materials that even Serotta will need to look overseas to produce a HSG at a pricepoint that will sell in larger quantities. Maybe their aquisition of the old Reynolds CA plant is a step in the right direction but it will be hard to compete with foreign sourced Carbone bikes in the distant future, some like my buddy Climb may say that is already the case and I may tend to agree with him. Would you buy a Fierte Carbone bike for $ 2000 made overseas ?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
Would you buy a Fierte Carbone bike for $ 2000 made overseas ?
Nope. If it is made overseas it had better be a lot cheaper than $2000. I rode with some guys this morning on Felt carbon bikes. I bet those cost about $100 from production to the bike shop floor for the frame/fork.

I hope that builders like Serotta are able to compete in this world of cheap Chinese imports. Their deal with Reynolds is very big news though, bigger than people here talk about.

I wonder if there will be a steel HSG? The carbon one is still pretty spendy.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Serpico

yeah, why isn't this getting more airplay? sounds like some very smart decisions are being made RE:carbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000

Their deal with Reynolds is very big news though, bigger than people here talk about.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:26 AM

snipped

Quote:
So for me as a fitter HSG takes me pretty much out of the equation EXCEPT most of the clients that I see would not fit well on long and low racing bikes, for that matter I ..........

No , we need you to keep after Serotta to make bikes with level tt.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Not a robot

Quote:

So relax and if you want it they shall build it except an Hors Categorie or a Uniscasi Steel bike
Or a Csi.

Sorry, I just COULDN'T resist.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

Quote:
I applaud Serotta for making a lower price point bike available BUT I think the landscape is changing so fast with Carbone Fibre materials that even Serotta will need to look overseas to produce a HSG at a pricepoint that will sell in larger quantities. Maybe their aquisition of the old Reynolds CA plant is a step in the right direction but it will be hard to compete with foreign sourced Carbone bikes in the distant future, some like my buddy Climb may say that is already the case and I may tend to agree with him. Would you buy a Fierte Carbone bike for $ 2000 made overseas ?
Two points:

Calfee and Parlee, to name two, are making CF bikes at lower price points than Serotta with the same tubing source in the US or perhaps these days from a closely-related US spin-off. Assuming all three makers pay their work force about the same, and given that Serotta's fixed costs are amortized over a larger base, I think it's fair to say that the HSG and Attack CF frames are not priced where they are because they're domestically made.

Second, Ben Serotta has built up enough goodwill by his attention to design and construction that if he chose to have an Asian-sourced line of CF bikes I would hope most here would expect them to be up to Serotta's historic standards and consider them worthy of purchase. Of course, they'd have to have a level top tube and a decent paint job

Tags
hsg, serotta