Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 03:42 PM

Does my Serotta fit?

Hey all,

I have a Serotta Colorado III with full Ultegra group, I bought it about a year ago and have been trying to adjust the fit ever since with little resolve. Mostly I feel like I'm too far from the cockpit, but I'm not sure how short of a stem I can run without completely changing the way it rides. I guess I really don't know much about road fit as I've mostly ridden track bikes and single speeds for the last seventeen years. I'm just looking for some insight. I've done a century on the bike and it was fine, but not as comfortable as my track bike which obviously has a tighter geometry. Maybe the reason I've spent so much time on track bikes and selling my road bikes has to do with how short my arms are? Anyway, I'm wondering if I should convert it to a cruiser bar configuration since I have a bike I'm comfortable on with cruisers, or whether I should try a shorter stem the one on it currently is an 80. Would it make that much difference to go down to a 60 or a 50? Thank you in advance for your help.

Eli
Old 05-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Administrator

how does the reach and drop compare to other bikes you are comfortable on?

Old 05-29-2017, 03:49 PM

I don't think you've given enough info on the size of your body or the bike to perform an informed analysis of your fit issue. I do think a shorter stem would negatively affect your bikes handling of it's a standard road bike. Maybe you are wanting a bike with less drop from saddle to bar?
Old 05-29-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
how does the reach and drop compare to other bikes you are comfortable on?

Thanks for getting back to me, the reach is identical on all of my bikes, as are the top tube lengths, however, the seat tube on the Serotta is about a full inch longer. I did some recon when I first got it and identified the sizing by serial number as a 51, but I guess it's actually closer to a 52 in fit, so maybe it's just a hair too big?
Old 05-29-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDR View Post
I don't think you've given enough info on the size of your body or the bike to perform an informed analysis of your fit issue. I do think a shorter stem would negatively affect your bikes handling of it's a standard road bike. Maybe you are wanting a bike with less drop from saddle to bar?
Sorry, yeah, I know that was a vague post. I think the frame may be a hair too big for me, and my track bikes are just compact enough that an inch up or down doesn't affect the functionality as much, but I think I may have to let her go. Thank you for your input.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Also, Happy Memorial Day All

Thank you to all who served. Happy Memorial Day!
Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 PM

Just curious how tall are you? Also when you say you're not comfortable in what way? Where are you feeling discomfort etc?
Old 05-29-2017, 06:28 PM

The width of the bars also makes a difference on reach. You might try to find bars with less reach too. Between those two parameters, you can reduce ( or increase) the amount of effective reach on a bike by a whole lot. If you look at the graphic that Angry posted, that bike has lots offorward sweep on the bars making the reach to the levers farther away.

Unless you never ride the hoods or drops. In which case...nevermind.

Last edited by bikinchris; 05-29-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Just curious how tall are you? Also when you say you're not comfortable in what way? Where are you feeling discomfort etc?
I'm about 5'6, the discomfort comes from feeling stretched from my shoulders and unable to find a comfortable angle for my back seated in the saddle. Also, the brake levers seem pretty far away, whilst on my track bike I feel like I'm closer to the cockpit all around, likely due to the compact geometry of the top tube.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:05 PM

What type of seatpost are you using? Perhaps going to a zero setback may help if your not already using one.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
The width of the bars also makes a difference on reach. You might try to find bars with less reach too. Between those two parameters, you can reduce ( or increase) the amount of effective reach on a bike by a whole lot. If you look at the graphic that Angry posted, that bike has lots offorward sweep on the bars making the reach to the levers farther away.

Unless you never ride the hoods or drops. In which case...nevermind.
I've ridden drops without hoods for a long time, but I've only ridden a road bike for maybe four of the last seventeen years, usually selling it when convinced the fit couldn't be adjusted enough. I just really love this bike, want to continue riding it, and want a little more stability in the saddle and riding on the hoods. The bars that came with it do not have an extraordinarily long sweep, the equipment is older, not particularly nice, definitely not original. The stem is a Profile Design that I wouldn't mind parting with and the bars are worn, but also likely of not a remarkeable variety.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:08 PM

This is the bike if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (73.4 KB, 507 views)
Old 05-29-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericssonboi View Post
What type of seatpost are you using? Perhaps going to a zero setback may help if your not already using one.
This is a solid option I hadn't considered for some reason, thanks.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:22 PM

Can you ride the bike on the drops the way it's set up in the photo? It looks like the brifters are pretty far down on the bars which will tend to increase the effective reach.

Is the saddle to bar distance the same as on your track bikes? Also is it the same saddle as on the other bikes? Do you feel like there's a bunch of weight on your hands?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericssonboi View Post
You need to get your saddle in the correct position relative to the cranks. Do not move the saddle to shorten the reach. If the reach is too long within a normal stem length range and proper bars then get rid of the bike.

If the saddle is too far back then a post with less setback is appropriate.

Jeff

Tags
conversion, fit, handlebar, serotta, stem