Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I've got a line on some NOS Colorado tubes and S bend c-stays so if it all comes together something might go together.

dave
Woah. You're the man. Make it something very special then but what would be the name on the downtube of this "otherwise Serotta"? I know a few forum members who would sell their mother in law for a CSi revisited by you. Heck I could even sell mine!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

A cross between a JKS Terraplane and CSi
Old 04-28-2014, 03:27 PM

I would make a classic Huffy.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcollard View Post
Woah. You're the man. Make it something very special then but what would be the name on the downtube of this "otherwise Serotta"? I know a few forum members who would sell their mother in law for a CSi revisited by you. Heck I could even sell mine!
I have access to Serotta decals but feel it would be wrong to use them. It would not be a Serotta any way you cut it. A Serotta was built in a certain place and time and both are now gone. It would not be a Serotta, nor would it really be a replica, it would be more of an homage.

If I can make it work out I'd like to build a VERY few homage bikes that are like the first Colorados I made while there in 1990...........1/2 fillet BB's and 1/2 fillet upper headtube/top tube joint, S bend stays, inverted double taper s-stays..........the full monty.

Fun stuff to think about on a cold winter day - we got about 8" of snow last night!

dave
Old 04-28-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I would make a classic Huffy.

I love those but they are not 'Colorados' - they are straight tubed bikes and really boil down more to the paint job than anything else.

I always wanted a Huffy like that.

dave
Old 04-28-2014, 03:42 PM
50 bpm

A 62x59, level top tube bike.

Painted white with gold accents by JB.

Get some gold "Marinoni" decals. Cut off the last two letters. Apply generously.

Then give me a call.

PS: 73 x 73 angles is good. Steel fork.

Last edited by Elefantino; 04-28-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:57 PM

Oh you evil beautiful sneak!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM

I suppose there is a market for anything Serotta, so am sure a project like that would sell out. However....to me.....your reputation is so good, and what I've seen of your work....well founded, I don't see how it would add anything to a bike, over what you do already.

But do understand the business case for doing it. Maybe just build some "Dave Kirks" with Serotta BB shells and Campy drop outs, and the other stuff you mentioned to make them fancy. Made in Montana by Dave Kirk.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

I think one of these would be a pretty sweet addition to my collection!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Ralph I could be wrong but knowing Dave and where he came from I see it as a straight up tribute to the company, his coworkers, and especially Ben. If a project like this happens it seems super cool to me given how classy they would turn out. It may be time to save again!

Last edited by parris; 04-28-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added content
Old 04-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
If I can make it work out I'd like to build a VERY few homage bikes that are like the first Colorados I made while there in 1990...........1/2 fillet BB's and 1/2 fillet upper headtube/top tube joint, S bend stays, inverted double taper s-stays..........the full monty.
Sounds like a great plan. A bit like vintage reissue guitars but made to today's standards - hey Gibson is in Bozeman too after all!

I would be genuinely interested. I'm a Serotta fan and I have lusted long enough for a Kirk... Please let's get in touch when you have more details.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Ralph I could be wrong but knowing Dave and where he came from I see it as a straight up tribute to the company, his coworkers, and especially Ben. If a project like this happens it seems super cool to me given how classy they would turn out.
Yes.....I can see it as a tribute to his old company, and paying respects to what helped get him the reputation he currently has. And I guess that's what he said his intention would be.

I was looking at it as a bike for riding. Not meaning in any way to put down the idea, or insinuate any motives other than what he stated. Still.....the bikes have to sell.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I suppose there is a market for anything Serotta, so am sure a project like that would sell out. However....to me.....your reputation is so good, and what I've seen of your work....well founded, I don't see how it would add anything to a bike, over what you do already.

But do understand the business case for doing it. Maybe just build some "Dave Kirks" with Serotta BB shells and Campy drop outs, and the other stuff you mentioned to make them fancy. Made in Montana by Dave Kirk.
Hey Ralph -

I hear you.

If I do it it would be for two reasons - the first being that, like Parris said here, to pay homage to the time, the place and most of all the people that helped me get my start. Secondly it would be really fun to build a few of these again. I built hundreds of them back in the day and miss using some of the more obscure skills needed to build them.

So in a way it would be a selfish exercise...........but if someone wanted one I think the two of us could both have fun with the project.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

dave
Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Older Than You

Dave, I really don't care what you make with the parts. I'd just like to see the end result.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Hey Ralph -

I hear you.

If I do it it would be for two reasons - the first being that, like Parris said here, to pay homage to the time, the place and most of all the people that helped me get my start. Secondly it would be really fun to build a few of these again. I built hundreds of them back in the day and miss using some of the more obscure skills needed to build them.

So in a way it would be a selfish exercise...........but if someone wanted one I think the two of us could both have fun with the project.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

dave
Do you think you would have any problem with trade marks? Surely someone owns the Serotta name. If no trade mark issues, and you could figure out what to call it, sounds like an interesting project.

Being an old guy, I do understand the idea behind paying some respect to those that helped you get where you are. And....maybe revisiting some of those old skills might be useful. And......not the least.....I'm sure the bikes would ride great. And building by request would make it work from a small businessman's point of view (which is how I look at a lot of things). Good luck! BTW.....Love Bozeman.

Last edited by Ralph; 04-28-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Tags
csi, dave kirk, kirk frameworks, serotta