Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2012, 04:55 PM

I'm a big, slow Clydesdale who occupies major chunks of gravity. I will not give up my Campy triples and 30x29 low gears for anything. Having said that, if you go the compact double route and find you need lower gears, get bigger cassettes. Unless things have changed, Shimano MTB cassettes will fit on Shimano road freehubs and give you plenty of gearing options.

Failing that, IRC has options available. They even have them for Campy freehubs.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM

There are two problems here. For one, there is no 11-27 cassette for Shimano 11.

Here's some infor on the available ratios.

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/0...nical-and-di2/

Your lowest gear choices are both a 28T cog. With a compact, you have to decide on whether to lose a little bit of top gear in order preserve the SAME middle range that you have now, with a 12-28 or lose that 16T mide-range cog in favor of a 50/11 top gear, with an 11-28 cassette.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdan View Post
Some of the hills around here have a slope of over 8%. Under those conditions, I am definitely cranking on the 30-27. The latter gives me a ratio of 1.11 vs 1.21 for the 34-28; I am thinking that at the low end, I will be ok. But I do not have any experience with the new 11 speed DA 9000 cassette. Will the extra cog make the middle range tolerable or will there be an energy depleting jump?

Larry D.
You are already using all you got. Why would you go with less. Me thinks you better keep your triple.

Last edited by dekindy; 12-16-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Old 12-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
There are two problems here. For one, there is no 11-27 cassette for Shimano 11.

Here's some infor on the available ratios.

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/0...nical-and-di2/

Your lowest gear choices are both a 28T cog. With a compact, you have to decide on whether to lose a little bit of top gear in order preserve the SAME middle range that you have now, with a 12-28 or lose that 16T mide-range cog in favor of a 50/11 top gear, with an 11-28 cassette.
That's easy....if you actually spin out the 50-12 you can coast

There's no coasting UP
Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM

I would save the money on components and find a local coach or cycling club with experienced rider/mentors. I would then focus on learning how to use all my gears properly as well as learning how to be as efficient as possible on the bike.
Riding Zipp 101s and having a bike outfitted with all the highest end components is no substitute for actually truly knowing how to get the most out of what ya got both the bike and your body.

We find in our mentorships that most riders, even long time riders don't really know how to get the most out the gearing they have or their fitness levels. They either don't shift enough, wait to long to shift when climbing, spin themselves into oblivion because someone at some point told them to "spin", they either stay seated to long or stand up to much etc etc. They think they have to be in and stay in the big ring at all times unless climbing a wall and on and on.

Light wheels are great, top of the line Campy/Shimano/Sram is cool but if you don't know how to "use" those items you're wasting your money.
Our clubs average age is well over 40, which means we have a ton of 60/70yr olds that ride with us. We climb serious hills on just about every ride and I don't know of many members who ride triples any longer. I'm sure there's a couple but very few. The only time we see triples is when a person is doing loaded touring and they need every extra bit of climbing help they can get and find, otherwise compacts are on 99% of the bikes.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 PM
cnighbor2

I would get a 30T max rear cog

Has Shimano road and MTB cassette's are interchangeable I would get a MTB cassette with at least a 30T cog even consider last two cogs 28T to 32T setup
Shimano sells tons of that setup and they shift great
what I would be concerned about would being tired at end of ride and one more big hill to climb and you are out of options
I use a compact set up around the bay area with 34T and 24T max rear
which work great
Old 12-16-2012, 05:43 PM

When I was 53 years old, I rode from Idaho Springs to the top of Mt. Evans, in 2 hours, 35 minutes - a pace that would usually put a person of that age in the top 10 on race day. I did that with did that using a 53/39/28 triple with a 12-25 10-speed cassette, on a relatively heavy LOOK KG481.

I used the 28T ring when pedaling seated, but rode at least 1/3 of the 28 miles, out of the saddle in the 39T ring.

I later switched to a 50/34 with an 11-25 (Campy 11-speed), but there are times when it forces you to get out of the saddle rather than sit and spin. I really do like having the option of sitting and spinning if I choose. Sometimes, you can't beat a triple.

Campy is now offering an 11 speed triple. Too bad the shifters are powershift. I'm willing to be that Chorus and higher level shifter will work too. I measured the cable pull, back in 2008 and it was enough to operate a 10 speed triple FD.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdan View Post
I purchased a new frame (Lynskey) that I will be putting the DA 7800 group set and Mavic wheels on. My main ride is a Serotta Ottrott that will be getting the DA 9000 groupo and a new set of wheels (Zipp 101 or Shimano C35 from the new DA 9000 line, haven't decided).

Larry D.
group

Ah, I guess a few of us thought you were replacing a group that works for you with one with slightly less range.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 PM

After seeing my options a while back I decided to ditch the 34-50 and went with a 30-46 and 11-30. got a really deep 1:1 for climbing everything and 46-11 is fast enough for me (I went with a MTB 2X10 crankset)
Old 12-16-2012, 07:02 PM

With your current ride the question becomes "How often do you use the 30 front and 27 rear? If it is used quite often than a compact with a 27 will be a challenge for you up the hills. Hills vs Mtns and length/angles as well as what type shape are you in? It is really a personal choice but use a compact or triple based on how often you use a triple now, and can you have fun without a triple?

I use a triple in vt and colorado but a compact is more than enough here. Sram has a compact and a big rear cassette that is effectively the same gear as a 30 triple With the 27 tooth rear that Shimano offers

Last edited by Pete Mckeon; 12-16-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mckeon View Post
With your current ride the question becomes "How often do you use the 30 front and 27 rear? If it is used quite often than a compact with a 27 will be a challenge for you up the hills. Hills vs Mtns and length/angles as well as what type shape are you in? It is really a personal choice but use a compact or triple based on how often you use a triple now, and can you have fun without a triple?

I use a triple in vt and colorado but a compact is more than enough here. Sram has a compact and a big rear cassette that is effectively the same gear as a 30 triple With the 27 tooth rear that Shimano offers
this was already asked and answered above ^^^^^ (post #14)
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

If you have a low gear that you currently need and use, should you choose a new drivetrain that does not have that gear you will certainly miss it in the future. (unless you also loose a bunch of weight, or improve your climbing)
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 PM

I have a 22/29 but then I encounter 14-18% hills.

Consider a TA Carmina Crank from Peter White
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
If you have a low gear that you currently need and use, should you choose a new drivetrain that does not have that gear you will certainly miss it in the future. (unless you also loose a bunch of weight, or improve your climbing)

You might miss it, but you might also not need it either.

Tags
gear, serotta