Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 02:16 AM

Question CSI in transit... driving me crazy- need therapy.

Probably the only kind riding this new steed can deliver. This will be my first Serotta. Worked at bike stores over a decade ago and picked up two employee purchase Bianchis.

Now I feel this strange resentment against my Bianchi as I ride. But I have ideas to make her feel fresh again. Listed it on Craigslist, but not getting hits. So I resolved to set it up fixie if it doesn't sell. I will need some technical support.

Anyone know if you can achieve decent chainline if you keep the campy inner 39T as your front chainring?

Also can you run the 3/32 chain with a 1/8 cog? Or can you run a 1/8 chain with the 3/32 chainring?

I would like to do this economically. This will be my commuter.

Any ideas?
Old 07-13-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlucci1106 View Post
Probably the only kind riding this new steed can deliver. This will be my first Serotta. Worked at bike stores over a decade ago and picked up two employee purchase Bianchis.

Now I feel this strange resentment against my Bianchi as I ride. But I have ideas to make her feel fresh again. Listed it on Craigslist, but not getting hits. So I resolved to set it up fixie if it doesn't sell. I will need some technical support.

Anyone know if you can achieve decent chainline if you keep the campy inner 39T as your front chainring?
Yes. Though, you're going to have to run a pretty small cog in the rear to run a decently rideable ratio.
Quote:
Also can you run the 3/32 chain with a 1/8 cog? Or can you run a 1/8 chain with the 3/32 chainring?
No to the first, yes to the second.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 AM

if you're on a budget 1/8 inch chains can be bought for cheap. some examples are izumi, kmc and sram.

you can run that with your current 39t no problem but as previously mentioned you can't keep a 3/32 chain with a 1/8 cog in the back.

I'd run a 14 or 15 teeth cog maybe smaller if you're living in a real flat area here's a gear inch calculator:

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_g.html#gearinch

Last edited by monkeybanana86; 07-13-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:59 AM

flat if I'm riding to work or errand

Thanks kceb cire, def. cleared up what I will need. I am looking for a wheelset that is under $175. I see that I have choices between Velocity, Mavic, and Vuelta. Do you have recommendations? Would prefer light ( I only weigh about 130), and looking for something to compliment celeste w/royal blue decals.
Also should mention that it is a 1998 steel, so more the classic look

Thanks monkeybanana. Yeah, I agree that the ratio could be too easy for everyday riding. Probably best off with the 14T.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

I would like to do this economically. This will be my commuter.

Any ideas?
Yes.

No. Yes.

Horizontal dropouts? Easy, cog onto a properly spaced(same as you frame, 126? 130?) track type hub, single ring CR bolts, chain. Keep a front brake and bob's yer uncle.

Tags
bianchi, csi, fixie, serotta