Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 02:54 AM

Weight loss

I went from 220 to 187 last year with that # being my race day goal for Mt. Washington. I needed to be at that # if I was going to make it to the finish. I am 67. Last time I weighed 187 was when I was 16. I played college football and rowed at 194-200. I was 250 in my early 50s.
I spent 3 months in crutches last Oct. Ankle break. I got depressed. No exercise. Ate terrible. Topped out at 212. Decided to do Washington again. That is my inspiration. I only have a few more years when I can do it. Given my situation I am trying to get weight to 178 by race day. Last year, even at 187, I was not lean. 21 more lbs to lose.
I weigh myself in am, before and after exercise to monitor hydration and in pm. Keeps me focused and aids in self- control/willpower. Two things have helped me: I eat a lot more protein (veggies., tuna, powder) and twice a week I run steps (as well as other training). The steps are tough with this ankle but that 30 minutes accelerates the weight loss - akin to intense hiit training, about 2 min. intervals. Really a brutal workout on the wrong side of comfort.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:45 PM
le baroudeur

I credit this thread with helping me finally get UNDER that 170 lbs hump this year. I'd been trying to lose those last 15-20 lbs for over 10 years.

Now my routine includes weighing myself in the morning, updating the google sheet (most days) and sipping my cafe con leche while I catch up with the news.

My two sources of additional help: A swedish app called "Lifesum" - wonderfully passive aggressive, it hits the spot. And my afternoon walks with my wife.

I may not be riding much this year, but I know that on the other side of this, I'll be able to get back on the bike and move as if its 1994 again...

Thank you all! Please keep sharing your inspirational stories.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:55 PM

Great experiences! Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:29 PM

down 7 kilograms or 15 pounds so far.
I'll take that. Always think it could be faster or more but this is an individual endurance event so comparing to others pointless.
on we go
Old 04-16-2023, 03:59 PM

Almost four months in, my weight continues to trickle down, slowly, but generally headed in the right direction. I'm familiar enough with reversion to the mean from my past career in software and finance that I don't get too bent out of shape if I see my weight jump by a couple pounds from one day to the next. See my weight progression from the past six months.

I noticed the current trend seems to coincide with a return to a bit of running in early March (trying to get to the point where I can jog/run the entire 5k of this year's Race Against Hate). I don't know if it's the running or not, but it can't hurt, so that's an extra bit of motivation to keep chugging along.

The other thing I think I've only really only become conscious of recently is that there is a middle ground between hungry and full. It's not an either-or sort of thing. When I can recognize I'm no longer hungry–before I get full–I do a lot better.

A rainy, no ride day in Evanston IL...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 3.56.31 PM.jpg (61.8 KB, 206 views)
Old 04-17-2023, 04:29 AM

Progress

I started this Jan 20 at 212. Now I am at 193. I dropped about 1.5 pounds a week - about optimal. I walk this fine balance between having energy/ strength to train and maintaining a calorie deficit. Another 15 pounds to go. I find I get more focused on getting lean (losing the fat) as I go on.
I am doing much more strength training, which I dislike, but at my age I realize it is recommended. 4 times a week as I feel "recovered." Push ups, ab and oblique work, curls, squats. I read strength stuff helps burn calories. So far, so good. I did some of this last year - some, not much - and let me write that I lost that strength real quick. I improved a lot after a few weeks but I was shocked at how weak I had become. Like from 3 sets of 20 push ups last year to one set of 8 when I started this year. Yikes. I guess you really have to keep up with the strength training.
This "push" to drop weight and train is over for me come late August, so I am mentally preparing now for that day. I do not want to fall apart then. Last year I had planned to ease up a bit, and that went ok until I broke my ankle and then tore Achilles. 3 months on crutches and I fell apart. I think a lot of this weight loss comes down to mental training of sorts. So, so hard to keep to it in our culture.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:21 AM

Great job everyone! Unfortunately I personally have some set back and I am at +2 lbs.

Need to put in some effort
Old 04-17-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Great job everyone! Unfortunately I personally have some set back and I am at +2 lbs.

Need to put in some effort
setbacks, we all have them. just a part of the process.
back on the bike. good luck.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:37 AM

Down 10lb today with 5 to go to target weight. After faffing around with varying diets and exercises, I finally hit upon a successful approach as I’m losing around two lbs a week.

Exercise: more intensity, less duration. Two hour rides replaced by HIIT trainer workouts.

Diet: I finally found an acceptable, easy meal plan. Since I tend to graze a lot, I allow myself mozzarella sticks and fresh fruit. In an average day, I’ll have three pieces of fruit and a couple string cheese sticks. That keeps me happy without stressing over calories or feeling deprived.

Meals are low carb, high protein with a little more carbs added for days I ride and less on gym days. No sugared drinks, only fizzy water and a little cream in the morning coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2023, 10:08 AM

I lost a bunch of weight using NOOM last year. My main motivators were: a) not dying of a stroke or diabetes, b) I wanted to wear my summer whites uniform for my son's USNA graduation. I've accomplished both so far. Currently, I am ten pounds lighter than I was this time last year. I have kept my NOOM membership and will likely do so the rest of the year to help reinforce the habits I have developed.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:52 PM

down to 99kilograms which is 22 pounds less than January.
feeling lighter and the shirts are a little less pinchy.
downward and onward.
Remember to hydrate everyone!
Old 07-08-2023, 04:15 AM

Weight loss

I was at 212 in Jan. 180 now. My goal is 175, I taper training and I go into the Washington race at 178 or so. I find if I do not work out for a few days (bad air around here), my weight balloons - probably hydration related. I read somewhere that one molecule of carbs holds 3 molecules of water. So I figure if you do not work out and still eat you hold more water until your body finds a new balance. A bit confusing. I will lose 5 pounds or more in a tough work out. I think of weight on any day as really a number within a range.

I feel incedibly blessed that I have the whatever it takes to drop weight. Been something of an ordeal. Really focusing on not falling apart post event.

Breakfast: oatmeal, chia seeds, frozen fruit, vegan protein powder. Lunch: apple, orange, coffee, maybe some ezekiel bread. Post work-out/dinner: blender of ice, water, frozen fruit, spinach galore, protein powder; lentils and rice, or pasta, or potatoes and veggies. Snack - 2 pieces of 100 percent cacao, wheat bran biscuits.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:37 PM

Down 24 pounds or 11 kgs since January.
now the heat has gone I hope to up the riding.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:18 AM

I'm probably 195, looking for 180! Time to join this thread
Old 09-04-2023, 07:34 AM

Down 12 lbs, from 202 to 190 lbs. Been at it for about 3 months. Not the fastest program, but it's sustainable. Made a commitment to do something active every day, making a big difference. I'd like to get down to 180. Being 5'11", that seems like a good target weight.