Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 11:30 AM

Rain gear questions

Fourfly's thread about moving to the PNW got me to thinking. I have a decent rain jacket and both neoprene toe covers and full show covers. Other than that, I have no rain gear. At home, this isn't an issue. I'm semi-retired, and it's not hard to fit my rides in when it's not actually raining by watching the radar. I use a fendered bike when the roads are wet.

But I've started doing multi-day trips, credit card touring, and I've just plain been darn lucky that I've had very little rain. What gear would I pack for those kind of trips? Particularly:
- gloves
- legs (do people use rain pants?)
- head (over or under helmet?)

Let's say temperatures 50F and above. I'm not going out in 35F rain, hail, etc., like Fleche Wallonne.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:41 AM

My wife and I go loaded touring every summer. We bring the following for rain:

-Good jacket--we like jackets with hoods since we almost always camp and the hood is helpful for setting up camp. My current jacket has a hood that fits over a helmet which is super helpful during cold rain.

-Cap with brim for under helmet

-Wool gloves to keep hands warm even when wet

-Rain pants. We carry these, but mostly for use at the campsite. We rarely ride in them unless it's cold and rainy.

-Shoe covers--only if we are touring somewhere with potential for cold rain like Norway.

David
Old 04-24-2024, 12:25 PM

I’ve done half a dozen multi-day credit card touring trips, always in temps above 50, and here is what I take for rain:
  • Goretex jacket with hood
  • Rain pants
  • Shower cap (for over helmet)
  • Dry bag for rear seat bag
  • Fork bags that are waterproof
  • Latex gloves

I’ve been extremely lucky with respect to rain during my trips and we always leave plenty of margin with respect to time for completing a day’s route, just in case we needed to wait out a passing storm. But our itinerary, with fixed motel reservations, is such that we have to make each day’s destination.

The above items, other than the jacket, really don’t add that much weight.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:40 PM

My opinion; since no jacket is breathable as claimed it’s best to get what fits and is cheapest. I’ve had equal experiences with goretex, pvc with mesh vents, neoshell, etc.

My go to, since I have it, is a vapor barrier shell which doesn’t claim to be waterproof though it generally is. it keeps me warm no matter what if producing body heat (aka riding your bike at a an endurance pace or more)

To keep the legs dry (mostly the feet) the only thing that has worked for me in long days in heavy rain is rain pants with hiking gaiters over waterproof commuter cycling shoes.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-24-2024 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:11 PM

Which rain pants?
I have el cheapo coated ones, very light and packable. I also have nice heavy duty Goretex ones that I used for winter hiking, they are full zip so can go over boots and crampons. Not taking those!
Old 04-24-2024, 01:18 PM

I use lightweight goretex xcr hiking pants that zip fully on the leg. sound like what you have already. Not heavy duty though.

My rainy days are long gone but I still have the pants!
Old 04-24-2024, 01:19 PM

Summer >60F I don't bother with rain pants, but like Velotoze for all-day foot comfort. Or at least not freezing. I think you can get enough layers on the top to stay warm in a daylong deluge (which I experienced while bikepacking last summer in VT). Wool + Gore Tex ftw.

Best gloves for the rain are fishing gloves: Showa Temres. Waterproof, breathable and light. I have both the insulated and the non-insulated versions for the commute.

If you want pants, Gore's Paclite pants are highly packable (jersey pocket size), lightweight and work well, though next-to-skin is not so comfortable. I wear lightweight wool tights under. But in the summer I wouldn't bother unless you're going somewhere it could be 40F.

I usually bring a hat in case I'm freezing (I'm a lightweight) but I have yet to actuall use it.