Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
Do you recall what brake calipers you used that could fit 32s? I own several CAADs (including a CAAD10) and the tire clearance at the stays is good, but clearance with the brake caliper has always seemed to be the limiter for me.

Would love to know what combination of parts (tires, calipers, and frame size) you're using to get that size of tire in there.
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the CAAD13 yet. I set a friend's CAAD13 up with for some gravel escapades with eeBrakes and 32mm GKs. You definitely need to keep the wheels true, but it's been a remarkably capable setup for someone who refuses to buy a dedicated gravel bike.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
Vynl road rim frame clears 32s:
https://www.vynlbikes.com/models/road-rim/
The frame might be specc'ed to fit 32's, but I don't think you're going to fit them under the ENVE road fork that they offer. You'd need to go with Whisky's road+ fork for that, I think.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:38 AM
Meh

I think the right answer here is a mid-reach brake frame like the Milwaukee. Even on the frames where this works, the caliper is the limit and i personally don’t feel comfortable running my tires that close to the caliper.

YMMV.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:57 AM

Now that I think about it, my old round tube E5 specialized Allez would take 30mm measured tires - 28mm specialized tires on Velocity A23 rims, with 10 speed sram force brakes. From what I've seen in the bike shop the new sram axs force rim brakes have even more clearance.

It was tight, but it worked.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
The frame might be specc'ed to fit 32's, but I don't think you're going to fit them under the ENVE road fork that they offer. You'd need to go with Whisky's road+ fork for that, I think.
That was my thought exactly when I was looking at these the other day. I thought "holy moly rim brake 32s? wait till PL hears about this" Then I saw ENVE fork, which from anecdotes around the web i've heard mixed info about rubbing with some 28s and is officially only rated for 25s https://enve.com/products/rim-brake-...45111156506908
Old 03-03-2024, 11:06 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
I think the right answer here is a mid-reach brake frame like the Milwaukee. Even on the frames where this works, the caliper is the limit and i personally don’t feel comfortable running my tires that close to the caliper.

YMMV.
I was on the Ben's Cycle site yesterday and it looked like not a lot of inventory left on the frames.. unless I missed something..
Old 03-03-2024, 11:39 AM

My old 1974 Schwinn Varsity had rim brakes and came stock with 32mm (1 1/4") tires. Also of note is that it had hookless rims. These tires had a maximum pressure of 65 psi - and if you look at the latest ISO standard for hookless rims, the current maximum allowed pressure in 32mm tires on hookless rims is 450 kpa = 65psi. Just another example that what comes around, goes around, in the bicycle world.

Last edited by Mark McM; 03-03-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:51 PM
Sunshine

Trek Domane AL2 rim brake and fits a 32mm slick tire.
I put 32mm GP 5k tires in one with the stock wheels.
Clearance was fine- I didn't measure it and I didn't see a reason to because it looked like plenty of room.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydoesntknow View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the CAAD13 yet. I set a friend's CAAD13 up with for some gravel escapades with eeBrakes and 32mm GKs. You definitely need to keep the wheels true, but it's been a remarkably capable setup for someone who refuses to buy a dedicated gravel bike.
I couldn't fit the specialized roubaix 30/32 tires on my caad13... The tires hit the brake bridge in the back.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:24 PM

I am also in the market for something like this
new or used but good condition frameset preferably
So here is my whole sh$tty opinion

I frankly hate it when some tell this xyz fit 30mm
when not specifying measured tires ?
What tire pressure ? On what internal width rim ?

Direct mount rim brakes are a safe bet. But very limited offer even used.
for 30mm tires that measured 30 or a bit bigger, 32mm measured ? maybe not .
Heck cane creek even decided to stop make them this 2023 summer. Rationnaly so.

The issue is also the fork as stated by some rightfully here
Plus riding outside and average very poor roads for example here, belgium french speaking Wallonia some of your setup would work only in the living room. Clearance around the tire on some of yours setup ? Barely none. Plus the geometry matters, many bike could fit them but would handle poorly weirdly due to not being made for. Trust me I tried ....

I've a friend with an older nearly new caad10 external rim brake cable for the rear etc. It fit a 30mm labelled vittoria corsa pro , the latest one at 4.5 bars, on a 19mm mavic open pro but measure perfectly 30mm in there. He has the caad12/supersix generation of after fork and he fits 30mm labelled and measured vittoria corsa in there , side clearance is good height not soo much, brake hole and crown wise too low for these tires.

You also have to consider height of tire, for front derailleur, back of seat tube interference and bit of clearance.
Veloflex corsa evo 32mm labelled measured at 31mm precisely on a 19,4mm internal width something boyd altamont rim don't fit fork or frame.

because they are taller.

SO my list non exhaustive one :
- ritchey road logic , official 30mm , clear 32mm measured with enough clearance for Belgian muddy ****ty, nasty roads. not too expensive even new, and forks are available in case of accident.

used market, or NOS , but yeah what happen when if you have an accident and no more new forks available ? Sure used market forks is a thing, but it's getting thinner even here in europe .

- tarmac sl6 frame and fork fit 30mm actual with clearance
- caad13 frame and fork fit actual 30mm with clearance
-caad12 frame and fork fit actual 30mm but tighter clearance than caad13

- standert kreissage latest rim brake gen fit 30
but each and every frame i've seen of their alu batch, has some kind of rear triangle misalignment by 1.5 to 2mm ; bc scandium dedaciai aegis is not the easiest material to build with, probably bad welding sequence, not or not enough artificial ageing in oven, and fragile easily flaking thin paint, plus corrosion under the paint easily yeah alu7005 is a bit more corrosion prone than others ... plus misaligned bottle cages holes. No qc in italy by their subcontractor or close to none, and none in germany it seems. They qc paint lol recently . Plus paint all over direct mount callipers threads.

Others used stuff ?
seven mid reach stuff with their fork but the straight steerer ones are discontinued so what happen when if you break it ? A steel fork ?

Let me know if you gotta something like for sale
Large size, good steel, stainless steel, ti , carbon maybe, not alu
carbon fork pls, straight or tapered
Old 04-01-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I couldn't fit the specialized roubaix 30/32 tires on my caad13... The tires hit the brake bridge in the back.
that's bc the gk he's talking about run narrower than some and less tall
contrary to what you tried on

so that's why we need more precise statements from people
Old 04-01-2024, 03:08 PM

I think my 2016 Domane can fit 30s with bog standard Ultegra/Dura Ace brakes.

IIRC I have never tried bigger than 28s. 99% of the time I've run 26s and they look tiny in the frame.

The first issue might be that it would get hard to get the wheel out, the quick release thing on the brakes doesn't open up enough.

I suspect there were a lot more of these bikes 2010-2018 or so than there are now since almost everything went Disc.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:58 PM
cnighbor2

Look at

Gravel Bicycles
Old 04-01-2024, 04:06 PM

My 2018 caad 12 has room for 30mm vittoria corsa tires mounted on 25mm wide enve rims. Dura ace calipers have lots of room, its the seat stays that are the limiter.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:11 PM

All City Mr Pink

Need to use medium reach brakes (using VO Grand Cru) but on my Mr. Pink:

32c fit fine
And I will double-check, but I think 35c (Pirellis Cintaturo) work as well (which surprised me)

Every time I think about “hey, do I really still need this bike” I realize that I do!

m_b