Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 07:37 PM

Neutron Ultras in the Campy line-up

Would appreciate hearing what people think of the new Campy Neutrons. Have a C40 that I'm planning to build up with Campy groupset and wheels. Shamals would be great, but are beyond the depleted bike budget. Am considering Neutrons as a possibility. Another possibility is Zondas, which would obviously be cheaper. I do have Zondas on another bike and like them a lot. Very nice wheels and great for the price. I'm sure Shamals are an upgrade over Zondas, but would Neutrons also be significantly better than Zondas, enough to justify the price difference between the two? I know the basic differences - Neutrons have a carbon hub, lower profile, and are lighter, but would appreciate hearing about the ride quality from those with experience of both. Would also be curious to know about the place/purpose of the Neutrons in the Campy wheel line-up. Is it it just that they wanted to offer a wheelset that doesn't have the G3 config?
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:49 PM

I have the old tubular version of the neutrons and the wheels rock. When i got them they came not 100% perfect, in less than 10 minutes had them straight like an arrow. I weight over 200 pounds and I cant tell any flex in the wheel at all. I had the vento wheelset years back and those things flex (no idea about the later generations). After I trued the wheels they havent gone off true at all. I'm just impressed.

The only thing I would advice you is to get the socket wrench that match the spoke nipple, cant remember the size but you can look around the web about it, never used zondas or shamals so cant tell you anything about the difference with those ones at all, one thing just because i had G3 wheelsets before and is that are tad interesting to get them straight specially if you have a hop exactly where you have no spokes, but again my experience is with the old vento, sure the zondas are way better wheels.

Neutrons are super simple to true if needed.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
I have the old tubular version of the neutrons and the wheels rock. When i got them they came not 100% perfect, in less than 10 minutes had them straight like an arrow. I weight over 200 pounds and I cant tell any flex in the wheel at all. I had the vento wheelset years back and those things flex (no idea about the later generations). After I trued the wheels they havent gone off true at all. I'm just impressed.

The only thing I would advice you is to get the socket wrench that match the spoke nipple, cant remember the size but you can look around the web about it, never used zondas or shamals so cant tell you anything about the difference with those ones at all, one thing just because i had G3 wheelsets before and is that are tad interesting to get them straight specially if you have a hop exactly where you have no spokes, but again my experience is with the old vento, sure the zondas are way better wheels.

Neutrons are super simple to true if needed.
Thanks. Great point about simple to true if needed. Haven't needed to true G3 wheels but imagine it is not so simple
Old 10-21-2016, 08:33 PM

Ordered some neutron ultras from overseas. Seemed like a good price for what appears to be a great all around wheel according to reviews. They seemed like a great bang for buck wheel with solid reviews.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:44 PM

They're Hyperons in alloy. Great wheels.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:58 PM

I have two pair of regular neutrons that I have liked so far with no issues for 5+ years. I now have a newer set of the Ultras. The wheels feel about the same, but the Ultras look cool with the carbon hubs.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
They're Hyperons in alloy. Great wheels.
Whoa. That might just clinch it. I am inclined towards the Neutrons, though was hoping a little to hear that Zondas were comparable - just to save some bucks and thus not incur wrath of better half. As against the Shamals, I like that the Neutrons have steel spokes still. I may be a lightweight and not particularly hard on wheels but NYC roads are not forgiving and make aluminum spokes a somewhat scary proposition.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
Whoa. That might just clinch it. I am inclined towards the Neutrons, though was hoping a little to hear that Zondas were comparable - just to save some bucks and thus not incur wrath of better half. As against the Shamals, I like that the Neutrons have steel spokes still. I may be a lightweight and not particularly hard on wheels but NYC roads are not forgiving and make aluminum spokes a somewhat scary proposition.
Same rim depth, same spoke count, some difference in hubs (steel vs CULT), but the approach is basically the same: A nice riding, low profile wheel.

And clincher to boot.