Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
No, but imagine that using a universal mounting system like the GoPro would allow fork makers to come up with a solution as well. It wouldn't have to involve your front brake. There could be a small braze-on near the crown off to one side or lower if that's too close to the front bag.
I'm for it.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:23 AM

There is a lot of really helpful info here. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2016, 08:00 PM
ergottWheels

Update. I rode my commute home with the lights off and the Garmin plugged into the Luxos which contains a capacitor. This capacitor keeps your stand light running when stopped, but it also continues to charge the Garmin (or anything else plugged into it) while I was stopped at lights. This should help with the problem of the Garmin receiving interrupted charging if directly charged by the hub with no capacitor or pass thru battery.

When I got home I tested the output and it's a consistent 0.4A while the bike is moving. I stopped the bike and still got 0.36 for about 5 minutes. That will keep the Garmin charging avoiding the constant interruptions that aren't good for it.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM

Ergott,

I love this setup and would love to replicate it--I actually have an IQ-X being shipped after having a mount fail with my Luxos (my fault).

If there are any involved steps, would you be willing to post directions? I'm also lazy / of questionable mechanical aptitude so would be willing to exchange money for a finished mount if you're into that sort of arrangement (PM me).

PS: Hi everybody! I'm a long time lurker, but I think this is first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Sort of on topic.

I would love to see lights get on board with the Go Pro mounting system. I modified this mount and shaved the light mount to get this to work. Result is very clean. If all lights switched to this type of mount it would be easy to make 3rd party mounts for other parts of the bike, even have them added to front racks.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:25 AM
ergottWheels

Welcome!

I took a jeweler's saw and cut the center fin out of the Garmin GoPro mount.

Then I just lightly sanded the sides of the IQ-X mount until it slips into place with enough friction to keep it from moving when hitting bumps in the road.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I use a front bag so that's a not an option for me.

Anyone seen a decent mounting solution for the Revo to a front rack?
Or Revo in the brake hole for that matter?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:31 PM

Well after much deliberation (and some procrastination) I ordered the IQ-X. I appreciate all your input.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:52 PM
Daniel

The new LED lamps are great. A used Edelux would be a prudent, frugal choice. New B&M lights from Europe are substantially less than stateside. And the budget solution? Get an LED replacement for the halogen lamp you're using today. I love the look of the Schmidt E6 and have wanted to so this myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by co1111 View Post
Well after much deliberation (and some procrastination) I ordered the IQ-X. I appreciate all your input.

Right on. Report back on your thoughts.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:55 PM

I finally received (never order from Bicyclehero) and have installed my IQ-X.

Aesthetically, it is smaller and nicer in hand than in pictures. It's simple and not overstated, which is good for bike parts. I have it installed on the fender in a hole which was present from the previous owner's rack mount. It is located quite conveniently to fit in front of my bag. I really like the included bracket in this case, because it is very easy to adjust the angle so it does not vibrate against the rack. Adjusting the vertical aim of the beam is easy for the same reason.

I find in one short test ride that the light tends to vibrate or bounce with the road. This didn't seem like a huge deal for 10 minutes, but I wonder if I will get annoyed at it over longer duration, or if it will cause fatigue on my eyes, or other unwanted effects. I may eventually try to mount the light to the front of the rack or to one of the eyelets on its sides. Any experience with this would be appreciated.

I love how bright this light is. In its path, I can see just about everything. I asked my wife to ride it toward me and was pleased to know I'll feel confident I'm visible to on-coming traffic. I wondered briefly if the brightness could cause undue blindness in the peripheral where it does not shine. Any thoughts? How about blinding onlookers; I assume aiming down a little will prevent this similar to any car headlight, yes?

A question about aiming the beam; about how far ahead should the far edge of the beam be on flat road? 10 yards? 30?

Since it was brought up, I don't find the light patten to be striated. However there are two distinct light patterns: near and wide, and far and intense. There is some separation between then at maybe 10 and 2. This can be attributed to the two distinct reflectors that make up the light patterns. Overall I am pleased by the completeness of lighting visibility in front of me. Lastly, the leading edge of the light pattern has an abrupt termination perpendicular to travel. Does this have to do with aim? Will it round out if I aim it up a bit more? Or is this by design?

Here is a mediocre photo:
Old 11-19-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by co1111 View Post
I finally received (never order from Bicyclehero) and have installed my IQ-X.

Aesthetically, it is smaller and nicer in hand than in pictures. It's simple and not overstated, which is good for bike parts. I have it installed on the fender in a hole which was present from the previous owner's rack mount. It is located quite conveniently to fit in front of my bag. I really like the included bracket in this case, because it is very easy to adjust the angle so it does not vibrate against the rack. Adjusting the vertical aim of the beam is easy for the same reason.

I find in one short test ride that the light tends to vibrate or bounce with the road. This didn't seem like a huge deal for 10 minutes, but I wonder if I will get annoyed at it over longer duration, or if it will cause fatigue on my eyes, or other unwanted effects. I may eventually try to mount the light to the front of the rack or to one of the eyelets on its sides. Any experience with this would be appreciated.

I love how bright this light is. In its path, I can see just about everything. I asked my wife to ride it toward me and was pleased to know I'll feel confident I'm visible to on-coming traffic. I wondered briefly if the brightness could cause undue blindness in the peripheral where it does not shine. Any thoughts? How about blinding onlookers; I assume aiming down a little will prevent this similar to any car headlight, yes?

A question about aiming the beam; about how far ahead should the far edge of the beam be on flat road? 10 yards? 30?

Since it was brought up, I don't find the light patten to be striated. However there are two distinct light patterns: near and wide, and far and intense. There is some separation between then at maybe 10 and 2. This can be attributed to the two distinct reflectors that make up the light patterns. Overall I am pleased by the completeness of lighting visibility in front of me. Lastly, the leading edge of the light pattern has an abrupt termination perpendicular to travel. Does this have to do with aim? Will it round out if I aim it up a bit more? Or is this by design?
All these B&M lights have the sharp cutoff, like car headlights, to prevent blinding oncoming motorists. That's partly due to adherence to strict regulations on bicycle lighting in Germany.

Interesting thread. Am certainly curious about the IQ-X. I've used the Luxos B for years without issue in all kinds of weather. The B version did not seem to have the issues that plagued the U-version, though I had to send two of them back due to them turning on by themselves in daytime. Most annoying. I agree with ripvanrando about the cheap plastic parts and exposed connectors. I used electrical tape to seal off. Also mine is mounted right above the fender and below an ortlieb bag so is pretty protected. Is also big and clunky looking.

I also have the Lumotec Eyc on another non-brevet bike which I love for its size-very clean-looking. Honestly, this is probably all the headlight one needs.

Also very interesting to read comments of Ripvanrando and on the forum he linked to about shadows from trailing riders and other negative effects of excessively bright lights. I had not noticed this effect but perhaps now lights can be made brighter than is optimal, as is the case with rear lights (Dinotte Quad, for example).
Old 11-19-2016, 09:05 AM

I have an Eyc and a Cyo, and both have the distinct 2 beam look. The tall and narrow front beam and the wide side beam. I love it. Neither have the circular spot beam like a battery light, which I find to be distracting after a while. The Cyo is substantially brighter than the Eyc, but the Eyc is plenty bright for nearly every situation.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Randomhead

there are a lot of complaints about vibration with the stock mount. I have mine on another mount because of brake/headset interference issues.

Aiming is tricky with these lights. I originally had it aimed so that it was cutoff at about the same place on a street sign as a car light would be. What I found was that on a steep dip in the road, it was too scary to be riding at full speed into the dark. I moved it up just a little and that's not an issue any more. Some experimentation is in order. There are some roads around here where a car with sharp cutoff is a little scary too, but there is nothing you can do about that.

One thing with these lights is that motorists don't like you to have enough light to see with even if it's less than a car light. The luxos was nice because you could flash them back with your high beams.

Tags
dynamo, lighting