Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
So do you think there's an advantage using the Sinwave over the Luxos for the Garmin (I have 1000)?
I'd have to run tests rather than rely upon reports of others on the internet, which is precisely why I said, "A Garmin might not be happy being powered directly from the USB port". I have read many accounts of riders installing pass thru batteries between the Luxos and their Garmins. This topic is commonplace.

My Garmin 810 is happiest when being powered by a battery. It has taken me a long time to learn how to keep her happy. It does not like losing external power. I do not know about the 1000 or other versions of firmware.

I do not like Luxos connectors or ports or the cheapo plastic fork mount. They are insufficiently water resistant in my opinion and the charging option supposedly is not to be used in the rain. The sinewave units appear to be waterproof and that would make it a significant advantage if true. Spade terminals on earlier models (seriously?) and a mere 60cm wire on the IQ-X could pose problems for some riders depending on mount and type of bike...? I was hoping the IQ-X was the one for me but I am keeping my powder dry.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Spade terminals on earlier models (seriously?) and a mere 60cm wire on the IQ-X could pose problems for some riders depending on mount and type of bike...? I was hoping the IQ-X was the one for me but I am keeping my powder dry.
So replace the connectors, that's what I'm doing.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I'd have to run tests rather than rely upon reports of others on the internet, which is precisely why I said, "A Garmin might not be happy being powered directly from the USB port". I have read many accounts of riders installing pass thru batteries between the Luxos and their Garmins. This topic is commonplace.

My Garmin 810 is happiest when being powered by a battery. It has taken me a long time to learn how to keep her happy. It does not like losing external power. I do not know about the 1000 or other versions of firmware.

I do not like Luxos connectors or ports or the cheapo plastic fork mount. They are insufficiently water resistant in my opinion and the charging option supposedly is not to be used in the rain. The sinewave units appear to be waterproof and that would make it a significant advantage if true. Spade terminals on earlier models (seriously?) and a mere 60cm wire on the IQ-X could pose problems for some riders depending on mount and type of bike...? I was hoping the IQ-X was the one for me but I am keeping my powder dry.
I had a water problem with the Luxos on its only wet ride and stopped using it on my brevet/endurance bike and only use it for drier commuting now but the charger was okay and I did go direct into an 810. The problem with that is drop offs in power during stops confuse the Garmin.

I use a Sinewave and Edelux now but use a storage battery from the Sinewave to device (PC8, not Garmin.) I recommend this for all devices as you don't have to worry about the consistency of charge. Get a battery with pass through capability and you can do charge the battery while you charge your device.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:13 AM

I use a Luxos U and am very happy with the beam pattern. It is noticeably brighter and has a wider beam than the Cyo.

I usually bring a 10000 mAh USB battery pack that gets me through more weeked/extended weekend trips, and use the Luxos U to charge the battery park if I need to.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
So replace the connectors, that's what I'm doing.
I am sorry not having a waterproof enclosure to the headlamp and using cheapo spade connectors is not what I expect from a $200-300 headlamp and the fact that their brochure picture camouflages the zebra or tiger artifact using a mottled white/black pavement is a red flag. I can replace the connectors and I can plug up holes and use dielectric grease and can also use black electrical tape to turn it off but will I will hold off for a better designed product.

I am building up another bike and am reviewing all of the pluses and minuses. But the OP will see a huge difference by dumping the old halogen bulbs in favor of LEDs
Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
...I will hold off for a better designed product.
Cool. Let us know what you find.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
I had a water problem with the Luxos on its only wet ride and stopped using it on my brevet/endurance bike and only use it for drier commuting now but the charger was okay and I did go direct into an 810. The problem with that is drop offs in power during stops confuse the Garmin.

I use a Sinewave and Edelux now but use a storage battery from the Sinewave to device (PC8, not Garmin.) I recommend this for all devices as you don't have to worry about the consistency of charge. Get a battery with pass through capability and you can do charge the battery while you charge your device.
Thank you.

I have been leaning towards Edelux or the socially irresponsible Revo with sinewave and battery. Still on the fence.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 AM

I've ridden through a couple sustained downpours using the Luxos U and never had an issue. Maybe because it was mounted beneath my handlebar bag? Who knows.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:50 AM
ergottWheels

My Luxos U is almost always above a fender in wet weather. I believe the lack of waterproofing has to do with allowing the unit to avoid condensation over time. They clearly state that water can get in from underneath.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Randomhead

I always used dielectric grease on my Luxos because people had already reported problems by the time I got it. I think maybe the Edelux II and a sinewave is the way to go on longer rides. I haven't been using the Luxos for the last couple of years. For 600k or shorter, I just carry a couple of lipstick batteries. I have an IQ-X. I like it a lot, but the cutoff is really severe and I had to work at aiming it so that short descents weren't so scary. Of course, a car with HID lights has the same problem with choppy hills.

My garmin 800 keeps beeping when the power goes out. Really annoying if nothing else. If you are in an area with big hills, much more time is spent going up than descending, so a usb charger really needs a battery to work at all.

I think the Luxos U definitely is a better light than the IQ-X, but it has some downfalls. For one thing, if you are going to climb a long, steep mountain, a backup battery light is a really good idea. Although this is probably true of any dyno light, it just seemed worse with the Luxos. It's also really big

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-09-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:00 AM

I have my Luxos U mounted beneath my front rack, next to my wheel, with nice wide fenders to limit the spray. No problems with rain so far.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:31 AM

http://www.exposurelights.com/cycle-...re-revo-dynamo

REVO DYNAMO

Been using it for fours years. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Super well built. Has an "output" that I use to charge my phone (can also power a tail light). Build quality is EXCELLENT. Easy 1 button on and off.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:36 AM
ergottWheels

Sort of on topic.

I would love to see lights get on board with the Go Pro mounting system. I modified this mount and shaved the light mount to get this to work. Result is very clean. If all lights switched to this type of mount it would be easy to make 3rd party mounts for other parts of the bike, even have them added to front racks.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:44 AM

I use a front bag so that's a not an option for me.

Anyone seen a decent mounting solution for the Revo to a front rack?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I use a front bag so that's a not an option for me.
No, but imagine that using a universal mounting system like the GoPro would allow fork makers to come up with a solution as well. It wouldn't have to involve your front brake. There could be a small braze-on near the crown off to one side or lower if that's too close to the front bag.

Tags
dynamo, lighting