Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 PM

Dynamo Headlight opinions

I have an older BM Lumotec Halogen headlight. The bulb burnt out. I am incensed that a $5 replacement will cost more than double to ship. I am also intrigued by the newer technology, and am surprised by the range in pricing for lights that of different brands that seem to all have about the same output/performance.

What are others using? What do you like and dislike about them? How much difference is there REALLY between 40, 70, and 100 Lux. Are the beam patterns of that are advertised in the $100 - $200 range really that much better than those at $60 - $80? Are daytime running lights really a safety benefit? Other thoughts?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2016, 01:36 AM

I've only used a B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo and I've always been really happy with it. I used it for brevets and never felt like I needed anything more. I don't know how effective running the light is during the day, but it can't hurt. now that I commute on bike I use front and rear lights regardless of the time of day.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:53 AM
Strong Walker

I use an Lumotec IQ Fly which is, imo, brilliant. Ugly, but that i don't mind on a commuter, and there would be prettier alternatives also from BM or Schmidt.
It is brighter than the old "Lupine" battery lamp i got, which was incredibly bright when i got it 15 years ago Generator lights really saw a lot of improvement in the last decade and most good quality ones will do the job very nicely.

The safety gain from a daytime light, especially a front light, is debateable. I know statistics from two different countries (UK, D) which say faulty or missing lights are responsible for less than 2% of all accidents, even at night (!).
Old 09-09-2016, 06:26 AM
aka RAEKWON

I am using a schmidt edelux. Have had it for a couple years now, first version. It is not as nice as the second version in terms of light outputand throw and I know other light are better at that as wel (e3 for example). That said its a great light Nd has worked well for what I want it for which is winter commuting. I am not going to lie, I like the way it looks or I probably would have gone with the e3 but the edelux 2 had just come out and I got this one for a good price here on paceline.

Also I dont run it during the day because I dont think it would be beneficial. Maybe a rear blinker would but not a feont constant light
Old 09-09-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by co1111 View Post
I have an older BM Lumotec Halogen headlight. The bulb burnt out. I am incensed that a $5 replacement will cost more than double to ship.

Thanks
I presume you buy SEVERAL halogen bulbs at a time? That would reduce shipping costs per bulb.

My Lumotec Halogen N-Plus hasn't been replaced in years; I've got the model with the Standlight. Admittedly, I've considered converting to an LED headlight because of the reliability of the LEDs.

Otherwise, It seems LEDs are the way to go. Check out Peter White's web site for recommendations and testing.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:38 AM
ergottWheels

I've been really happy with Luxos U and the USB charger has gotten my Garmin through a few rides where the battery wouldn't have lasted long enough.

I also have IQ-X. That is definitely brighter, but the pattern if more focused into 2 beams in front of you. The Luxos is a flat wash almost your whole peripheral vision. Both are great at higher speeds where hazards come at you quicker.

I've tried the Luxos at both beam brightnesses (there's a hi/low switch) and the difference isn't dramatic.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by co1111 View Post
I have an older BM Lumotec Halogen headlight. The bulb burnt out. I am incensed that a $5 replacement will cost more than double to ship. I am also intrigued by the newer technology, and am surprised by the range in pricing for lights that of different brands that seem to all have about the same output/performance.

What are others using? What do you like and dislike about them? How much difference is there REALLY between 40, 70, and 100 Lux. Are the beam patterns of that are advertised in the $100 - $200 range really that much better than those at $60 - $80? Are daytime running lights really a safety benefit? Other thoughts?

Thanks
Going from an older BM Lumotec Halogen headlight that might put out 15-20 lux to any of the newer LED headlamps will be an eyeopener.

Some of the newer headlamps have a small battery or capacitor inside to store charge that keep the light intensity going pretty good on climbs and to that is a big plus; however, if you are a randonneur or backpacker and want a short ditch nap, the light can't be turned off but eventually the charge will dissipate.

Some have had water leakage problems (reportedly both the old and new Luxos U) that short the headlamp out.

The German made headlamps have a strict beam cutoff to protect the eyes of oncoming vehicles. This is generally an advantage but signs and tree branches would not be illuminated as they are with a non-cutoff reflector.

Some of the German headlamps have cheap plastic mounts that can break but jiggle while riding. The wiring and connections are mickey mouse in my opinion and a real source of failure.

A Garmin might not be happy being powered directly from the USB port.

I ride and have ridden with a ton of riders with the newer LED headlamps and they are pretty good. I don't like the harsh white light that they output nor do I like that the output can't be lowered for the simple reason that a dynamo powered headlamp behind me or in a paceline casts a lot of shadows interspersed with harsh white light right in front of me and that fatigues my eyes. The throw is just ok. You asked for thoughts and those are mine. I am in the very small minority on these opinions.

The $300 Exposure Revo Mk1 Dynamo and IQ-X lamps have interested me. For $146 from Peter White, I'd look at the IQ-x. 100 lumens sounds nice but from what I have seen, the beam has a tiger stripe artifact that would annoy me but the beam width is commendable.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=92607.0
Old 09-09-2016, 06:45 AM

If you haven't already, check out the beam comparisons at Peter White. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

Almost all the newer LED lamps will blow you away with how much better they are then your halogen. Personally I used a B&M Luxos U for 3 years now with excellent results. No reliability issues and the amount of light it throws is outstanding.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 AM
ergottWheels

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
A Garmin might not be happy being powered directly from the USB port.
To clarify, I chose the more open sections of the ride where I knew I was riding above 10mph or so for long stretches. I also didn't have the lights on at the time. No problem at all and it charges very quickly like this.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
To clarify, I chose the more open sections of the ride where I knew I was riding above 10mph or so for long stretches. I also didn't have the lights on at the time. No problem at all and it charges very quickly like this.
I was thinking more about unregulated power damaging the Garmin 810 or similar and the need to purchase a $120-220 sinewave regulator. The Garmon units get weird when external power is lost and reapplied. This is a significant consideration for some riders.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:45 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
I was thinking more about unregulated power damaging the Garmin 810 or similar and the need to purchase a $120-220 sinewave regulator. The Garmon units get weird when external power is lost and reapplied. This is a significant consideration for some riders.
Do you have any information on the output of that charger on the Luxos? It's not regulated? I can't seem to find the answer.

I've thought about getting the Sinewave.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:15 AM

I believe I have several spare bulbs and no longer own a halogen lamp. PM me and I'll send you all the bulbs I have for the $5.

But, yeah, I've used various B&M lights and like all I've used. Just bought an IQ-X that I haven't had a chance to install.

As far as daytime running lights, I've run my dynamo headlight constantly since I switched to LED lights. It's there and it's a safety feature so what the hell.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 09-09-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Do you have any information on the output of that charger on the Luxos? It's not regulated? I can't seem to find the answer.

I've thought about getting the Sinewave.
I never said the Luxos was unregulated.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
I never said the Luxos was unregulated.
So do you think there's an advantage using the Sinwave over the Luxos for the Garmin (I have 1000)?
Old 09-09-2016, 08:35 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

As far as daytime running lights, I've run my dynamo headlight constantly since I switched to LED lights. It's there and it's a safety feature so what the hell.
Yup!

Charging is no longer an issue (remembering to) so this time of year I leave the lights on all the time.

Tags
dynamo, lighting