Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I assume you mean approval for the buy-back settlement and not the proposed fix?

dave
You still have to register and upload your docs no matter which option you choose. Right now for Gen 1, your only option is buyback.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't surprise me at all. They have had way more than enough time to run through every engineering solution one could think of and still nothing. I suspect these cars will all go to the crusher in the end. That is a real shame and an environmental issue in and of itself. All those materials and all that energy used to make the cars only to see them not be used for their full life.

dave
I disagree. This settlement would not be where it is today if VW did not have fixes identified for every generation. There has been documentation regarding reduced emission requirements. How would they know what to agree on if the engineering wasn't done? They know. What they are waiting for is approval from the EPA/CARB for each fix. Once they get the stamp of approval, the fix option goes live.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:34 PM

There will be no fix, stamp it. Writing checks and filing uploaded info is one thing, trusting an entire dealer network to manage and carry out a fix as complex as this one? Forget it, those guys can barely change the oil. The whole legal wrangling thing is just a way to kick the can down the road. A room full of MBAs figured how many TDIs expire naturally per month and thereby lessen the number they have to buy back. Some fat german guy in a speedo gets one penny more per share and everyone is happy. The idea of a fix is just a beard

Fire up the crusher and start poaching parts now

Surprised that VW is surviving. Once I get my check I am done with them. I'll buy a Fiat before I set foot in a VW dealer again.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 10-21-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I suspect these cars will all go to the crusher in the end. That is a real shame and an environmental issue in and of itself. All those materials and all that energy used to make the cars only to see them not be used for their full life.dave
Nah - they will all get put on a boat and shipped to Africa or Eastern Europe and be resold.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN View Post
Nah - they will all get put on a boat and shipped to Africa or Eastern Europe and be resold.
Part of the buyback requires the dealer to take a sawzall to the frame and a hole saw to the engine block, so no.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Part of the buyback requires the dealer to take a sawzall to the frame and a hole saw to the engine block, so no.
I read through the details when they first came out. I could be mixing internet info with real facts here but I think once the 85% buyback/fix for approved models threshold is reached the buyback cars can be repaired and resold or exported. They will store them until the take up is reached or the time expires. Destruction only mandated if the deal acceptance is less than 85%. It makes sense as this being an environmental issue after all reusing makes a better outcome than destruction.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:23 AM

I was under the impression they could export them, but now I see that they'd have to meet CA emissions standards in order to do so, regardless of where the cars are going.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...s-it-buys-back

I understand the emissions thing. However I have to imagine that scrapping 400k cars (396k according to the article above) will use a lot of energy, create emissions, etc.

Not sure what it costs to ship a car to, say, Africa, or South America, but a bunch of cars that fail current emissions has got to be a bit better than cars that pass, say, 1950 emissions, like in Cuba.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't surprise me at all. They have had way more than enough time to run through every engineering solution one could think of and still nothing. I suspect these cars will all go to the crusher in the end. That is a real shame and an environmental issue in and of itself. All those materials and all that energy used to make the cars only to see them not be used for their full life.

dave
It's more than just an engineering solution. Even if they had a perfectly fine engineering solution they still have not demonstrated that they are capable of producing the paperwork required by CARB and EPA necessary to get a solution approved.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:30 PM

I just got the settlement package in the mail and now I wish I hadn't sold my 2012 VW Sportwagen TDI. Looks like I could have gotten up to $5100.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt View Post
I just got the settlement package in the mail and now I wish I hadn't sold my 2012 VW Sportwagen TDI. Looks like I could have gotten up to $5100.
You may still be eligible for half. Fill out the paperwork. I think you missed a deadline but call VW just in case.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:30 PM

Tomorrow should be approval day. I'm going to a dealer event on Thursday to meet the Ambassador and ask questions.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:01 PM

I'm still waiting to hear from VW. Nothing in the mail, nothing in emails. Have submitted all the docs, so just waiting now.

On a related note, am disappointed to learn that the 4Motion wagon (not Alltrack) with the manual transmission is only available in the S level trim. Meaning cheap-sh-t seats and not heated either. So may nix the idea of getting one of those. Think the Alltrack will come with manual on all three trim levels, but who knows. Will have to wait til spring and see what VW rolls out.

What I really want is a GTI wagon with a stick. Come on, how hard can that be? All the ingredients are already in the factory.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:42 AM

Today should be the day. We received an email stating our docs had been received and we're being processed. Looks like a few other people over on the TDI forum have received the same emails. Fingers crossed that the settlement is approved today and buybacks start in November. I know, don't hold my breath.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:33 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I know, don't hold my breath.
Same here. I drive assuming status quo until I hear otherwise. I'm trying to contain my excitement about getting a new car, especially the GTI since I've wanted some more performance out of a car for a long time now.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt View Post
I sold mine earlier and VW tells me I will be getting around $3100. In my case that extra 2 grand would have been eaten up by payments long ago. Depending on when you sold it, I bet expenses would have eaten up most of that extra money your feeling like your missing.

Re the crusher: I think this is fascinating, it also was my assumption that they would be shipped to a third world country. If they are buying the cars back, I imagine they don't get to write of the full extent of this loss, destroying them probably helps their present and future tax situation and mitigates the cost of this whole kerfuffle. Might be more in their best interest to crush them all then to resell them (even if they could).

Tags
autoscam, boring threads