Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 06:38 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Stand 'em straight up - options to Honda Element

As the title suggests, I'm considering a different auto that would be used primarily to transport bikes, dogs and dive gear. A used Element is the front runner; not interested in a van. Wondering if there are any SUVs or others that
allow you to stow your bike upright rather than laying over?

Grazie.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:44 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
As the title suggests, I'm considering a different auto that would be used primarily to transport bikes, dogs and dive gear. A used Element is the front runner; not interested in a van. Wondering if there are any SUVs or others that
allow you to stow your bike upright rather than laying over?

Grazie.
I know you said no vans. My new company car is a Transit Connect wagon. Just the XLT trip but its awesome for carrying bikes. No need to remove anything. Just put the whole bike in there with the seats down. I like it alot.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:48 PM
You still here?

I too know you said no vans...but in their defense our late model Town and Country has served us extremely well transporting all our stuff to and from Mexico many times, 3 bikes, 3 riders and all their gear to rides all over the place. Gets great mileage, very comfortable and reliable. The Chrysler 'Stow and Go' seat storage in the floor is slick as hell and allow many interior configurations.

This van is our second Town and Country, our first one was destroyed in a high speed head-on collision in Mexico. I walked away, the other driver spent nearly six weeks in the hospital. My van saved my life.

Last edited by dave thompson; 10-21-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:51 PM

I would look at a 118" sprinter for what you are describing.. 2006 was the last year they made them, but the diesel motors are super reliable... (i know you said no vans.. but)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:02 PM

Honda ridgeline, you can fit 2 road bikes in the back, upright, with the wheels on.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Bike Guy

I take the front wheels off and can stack 2 bikes on top of one another in the back of my Prius, using a good cushioning system of course. And I am typically getting 50-55 mpg while doing so. I've had the back seats folded down in that car probably 3/4 of the year we've owned it.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:21 PM
Small ring

If you can find a good Element SC, just buy it. I have one, and the larger wheels and better seats make it very comfortable.

I don't need 4WD, and my wife loves driving it.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 PM
n - 1

Buy it and do an ecamper conversion. Modern day vw bus.

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/cam...nt-camper.html
Old 10-21-2016, 09:03 PM

I bought a new Element in 2010. It was a great hauler for sure......bikes upright, etc....but hated driving it. Also....the seat belt came out of the top of the seat (older models belt came from the roof area), and caused shoulder pain. it was just an old design vehicle. Even Honda admitted that. The gas tank hung lower than the rest of the vehicle underneath, so Honda put a flimsy frame around the tank. I always worried about hitting something heavy in the road, and rupturing the tank. Before you buy one, look it over good and take it for a drive to see if you are comfortable in it. I do imagine it has typical Honda reliability....that is it's a dead reliable vehicle. And....it has almost achieved "cult" status.....and sells for big bucks. Way better vehicles available for the money.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:32 PM

My 2006 Element is still going strong with nearly 170k miles. I've looked into what's out there to replace it if something catastrophic were to happen to it and there's not much out there. The Ford Transit is worth a look but IMO it's a terrible driving car. Nissan, GM and Dodge all make something similar but are tailored towards work vehicles. Mercedes recently brought over the Metris that look great and start at just under $30k. Sort of a mini-sprinter.

I'd love to hear what others think of Metris or anything similar.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:29 AM

i can do that with our '13 LR4. 12-18mpg though. also 2-3 people can sleep comfortably in it.

unless we are going up some really crazy terrain i usually always opt for the prius and lay the bikes down with the back seat down, i don't even have to take the front wheel off.

Last edited by cinema; 10-22-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:24 AM

hard to top a classic. clogs mandatory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam.jpg (75.9 KB, 372 views)
Old 10-22-2016, 06:52 AM
needs adult supervision

They're pricy, but the Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX fit multiple bikes standing up. The reliability on these is well established, so a used one helps bring the price down...some. Not the most practical vehiclesbut they answer the task.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:02 AM

I understand the reasoning behind bikes inside but at some point you have to realize the utility of a hitch or roof rack. otherwise a minivan. We have a new Outback and a 2" torklift hitch on order- I have trouble paying for a full size truck gas bill, but that would fit better than most vehicles. - just beware of people wanting to move stuff..
Old 10-22-2016, 07:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
hard to top a classic. clogs mandatory.
I LIKE it...along with the thread on bongs..