Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 09:15 PM

What's the right way to position a fork while I install the crown race?

I've looked on Youtube but none of the videos seemed to show how you position the fork while you hammer the crown race on - they just show the hammering part of the process. Presumably it's not a good idea to put the dropouts on the ground while you bash the setting tool, so how do you keep the fork steady while you put the race on without damaging it?
Old 10-21-2016, 09:27 PM

Hold the fork in your hand.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 PM

I have only done it on steel forks but I don't think it takes that much force.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Or, have a helper grab each leg of the fork, close to the crown.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:34 PM

I just hold the fork under the crown, bang with the other hand. I don't have much hand strength, but this works anyway.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Hold the fork in your hand.
Yup, what I do or hit the tool on the ground(padded mat for me) while holding fork in hand..using Park FCR tool.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-22-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the replies. Ended up holding the fork and bashing the tool while my wife kept it steady. It took a bit more effort than I expected but got it done in the end.

I do have one more question though. I tried to screw the top cap of the headset on the steerer but could only get it one about one turn before it jammed and I didn't try to put it on any further in case I cross threaded it. The only thing i can think is that the threads need re-cutting - does that sound right? I'll be taking it to a shop for that.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
Thanks for the replies. Ended up holding the fork and bashing the tool while my wife kept it steady. It took a bit more effort than I expected but got it done in the end.

I do have one more question though. I tried to screw the top cap of the headset on the steerer but could only get it one about one turn before it jammed and I didn't try to put it on any further in case I cross threaded it. The only thing i can think is that the threads need re-cutting - does that sound right? I'll be taking it to a shop for that.
Threaded steel fork? Yup, have GOOD shop use a GOOD, sharp tool to chase the threads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (16.0 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-22-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:52 AM

If you use a long plastic tube longer than the steering tube (as many here use for this job) you can just hold the thing upside down and use the floor to hammer the crown race up.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:59 AM

If the fork has been cut and the top of the threads haven't been dressed, the might be your problem. If the top of the threads are square as well as the inside, then the raw cut is why you are having trouble starting your top race. A sharp flat file held at an angle could clean out the threads without chasing the whole fork. You would also want to take the sharp edge off the inside. If you don't have a machinists tool, you could use a rat tail file for that.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
If the fork has been cut and the top of the threads haven't been dressed, the might be your problem. If the top of the threads are square as well as the inside, then the raw cut is why you are having trouble starting your top race. A sharp flat file held at an angle could clean out the threads without chasing the whole fork. You would also want to take the sharp edge off the inside. If you don't have a machinists tool, you could use a rat tail file for that.

The steerer hasn't been cut at all - it's still as it came. Could the threads need dressing as you suggest?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
The steerer hasn't been cut at all - it's still as it came. Could the threads need dressing as you suggest?
Yes...if the threaded part of the HS won't screw on, yup.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:38 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Is it possible that.you have the wrong headset threading? What you describe sounds exactly like what happens when trying to install an ITA headset on BSC threads. The two are very close and you can interchange them but the threads get a minor re-shaping in the process.

The same might happen when tying to install a BSC HS onto ITA threads, but I've never done thst so I can't say for certain. I do know from much experience that while Italian frames almost always have an ITA BB the same doesn't hold true when it comes to the HS threads.....BSC is fairly common.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:41 PM
cmg

please post a photo a what your trying to install.