Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 03:56 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I just think there are better options out there, with training books from guys who didn't advocate blood doping to riders placed in their stead that will get folks to the same place. That's all.
Don't forget it was actually still legal back then. I have a buddy who raced during those years and even HE was blood boosting.

I've met and trained with Eddie B. Great guy. Lots of knowledge to pass on

M
Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Put enough qualifiers in front of anything and you can get the answer pool down to zero.

There are plenty of great training books out there not written by the godfather of US blood doping, and the OP never specifically asked for a book from a coach at an international level. Honestly someone should have just posted Joe Friel's book and then closed the thread. But it ain't like there's a shortage of options for training books written by nondopers.

I'd personally prefer Eddie B is consigned to the dustbin of history and he doesn't get another nickel from book sales, and instead support the guys who didn't treat their riders like lab rats.

The only qualifier is yours.

Friel's book is right there.

Well lets throw periodization in the bin as well. And Eddie B's influence formed the foundation of US cycling, which prior to 1980 was a joke.

Since you wish to focus on doping, lets go w some facts.

Eddie B was hired by USOC to win medals. In 1984, his last year with, they did.

Blood transfusions were banned in 1985.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
My FTP is currently around 250 (estimated) and I'd like to move it into the 265-275 range (measured). That should keep me glued into the pack for masters 60+ crits. My 10" max power is 865 (measured) and I'd like to move it north of 1000.
The second goal should actually be easier because my sprint form sux and I've only tested it once. As soon as I become a bit more coordinated on the bike at full tilt boogie, that should go up at least 50 watts.
Those are big goals. Break down your goals into something that's achievable. Start with a ten watt increase based on a real test. Remember this requires consistent testing. Working on sprint form is a good thing to achieve. As for your power goal, sprint power varies so widely is really not a good metric. Your power in sprint drills are one thing but in a race it could be completely different. The best metric for sprint effectiveness is results. You won't learn form from a book. You need to drill, drill, drill.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Those are big goals. Break down your goals into something that's achievable. Start with a ten watt increase based on a real test. Remember this requires consistent testing. Working on sprint form is a good thing to achieve. As for your power goal, sprint power varies so widely is really not a good metric. Your power in sprint drills are one thing but in a race it could be completely different. The best metric for sprint effectiveness is results. You won't learn form from a book. You need to drill, drill, drill.
You also won't learn positioning or timing from a book, and they both matter way more than 10s power.

You might be able to dust Cavendish in a sprint, but if you are OTB then it doesn't matter if you aren't there to use it.

Unless you are a big guy then 250 should keep you in a 60+ master's field, it's something else.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:30 PM

Sticking in a field is one thing. Winning is another.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:48 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

I've read most of the books that have been brought up so far, can't say I would use any of them as a basis for my own training plan. Each year I take on new riders with the team I coach, but I'm always asked to alter my program so that anyone could just jump in at any time, which is to say "take any part of the program and apply it to someone at any stage of their training", which doesn't work. That's pretty much what a book is, a bunch of training information with no control over the order things are done. I've tried to write pieces on training, but I find I can't. I then tried to write a piece on fitting - which is what I do all day. I couldn't do that either, because the order I do things depends on the person in front of me. Training is too interactive to be laid out in a book, the best you can hope for are modules which explain certain workouts and their benefits. In that I sorta like Training with Power.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:26 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Training is too interactive to be laid out in a book,.
that's why I had been trying to get you to come visit me in Austin...FOorr..ev..er?!
Both o' us not gettin' any younger..u know.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:12 PM

I've got a training book from 1967 that was given to me by Bernard Thevenet, not a lot has changed over the years with techniques just become a bit more concise and structured but the basics are the same.