Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

I wear tights over shorts here in Denver and hardly ever wash the tights. I never understood why anyone would want tights with chamois when you can buy just one pair of tights and wash the shorts after every ride.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 PM

Easy for me to reply...I used to wear lycra tights over my cycling shorts. Better solution is either knee or leg warmers for me. I have both and most of the time prefer knee warmers. The main reason - when nature calls. It takes long enough to slip off the vest and jersey that I usually wear if I need the knee or leg warmers.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:53 PM
The B!

I'd actually like to get some leg warmers.. this fall I've discovered that my sweet spot for PNW rain ride layering is to do tight fitting jersey with arm warmers under light rain jacket. In seasons past I've done full long sleeve base layer under jersey, and it's always too much. Now I'm going short bibs for the same reason, but obviously can get cold on descents/any time I'm not hammering.... leg warmers would probably be the perfect complement to my upper torso system - some warmth/wind blocking, but not a full additional layer to overheat/soak up too much water.

Sounds like you should just size down on your leg warmers, OP.

What size do you have currently (maybe I'll buy 'em from you, if you're a chicken legged mofo!)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:59 PM

I rock the knee warmers pretty often. Decent for all but the coldest pnw days.

Bought some castelli windstopper thermo bib tights last year when I was living in NYC. Those things are TOASTY. Anything over 30 degrees and you're in full sauna mode. I may never need to wear them again...

Leg warmers might be just perfect for the winter here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2016, 05:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotrack View Post
The Bay Area doesn't get to any crazy low temperatures, but sometimes there are days when bib shorts alone aren't the best and I'd rather be a little too warm than a little too cold. I'm thinking that if I wear 'em over shorts, I can possibly get more than one ride without a wash, so that's why I'd want a pair without the pad. If that makes sense.

Recommendations?
Mee too, I'd rather be real hot than a little cold. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi bib tights, no chamois, that I use fall/winter...warmer than just leg warmers for mid section, bibs so they stay up. They also make some thicker 'roubaix' type...
Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 AM
Administrator

i ride in knickers all the time in transitional temperatures. keeps my knees covered and i dont notice any real overheating due to them. i really like knickers.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 AM

Craft and Pearl make these, pants or bib tights. affordable and more durable than Rapha... and honestly warmer
Old 10-19-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
Pearl Izumi makes many different tights and bib tights with no pad.
I've had the same pair of PI tights to pull over bibs during cold conditions for years. I originally bought them while touring. It's a good solution when it's too cold for warmers and the conditions will change later and you're fine in just bibs. I basically use them one weekend a year during a long race in the mountains.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:23 AM

I have a few pairs of Champion Systems winter fleece bibs with no chamois, and love them. They're warm and indestructible.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:40 AM

I second the PI tights, lots of variety there, mine are without pads and their "elite"/mid range, I'd think they're a little heavy for the Bay Area, but good for here in Phila to about ~35-40*

I'd also suggest getting the right sized warmers, they should stay up PI has good ones, and I got a pair of Canari leg warmers from Sierra Trading post on whim at ~$18 and they are the perfect weight for mid 40s - mid 50s little lighter than the roubaix stuff, kind of goldilocks in that way..

I want to use my bib knickers more, but end up using shorts/knee/leg warmers or full on tights over bib shorts.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotrack View Post
The Bay Area doesn't get to any crazy low temperatures, but sometimes there are days when bib shorts alone aren't the best and I'd rather be a little too warm than a little too cold. I'm thinking that if I wear 'em over shorts, I can possibly get more than one ride without a wash, so that's why I'd want a pair without the pad. If that makes sense.

Recommendations?
I have had no issues simply removing the pad from various pairs of tights, when desired. (Using a small pair of scissors on the exposed thread).