Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 12:58 PM

interesting perspectives on carbon fiber bike design, manufacturing, repair, etc.

Carbon fiber - the truth!

(warning - the first 15 seconds or so are weird ...)
Old 01-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTRider View Post
Carbon fiber - the truth!

(warning - the first 15 seconds or so are weird ...)
Yeah that first bit was weird but the rest was quite interesting
Thanks for posting
Old 01-20-2017, 03:18 PM

good video.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:43 PM

that repair guy has some more videos that are interesting. the dudes interviewing him seem to be starting from zero.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:58 PM

I've seen several of his videos. One of the earlier one's has the crash damaging his frame and had him to go to the repair guy. From what I remember he was in a group ride where a tourist not use to driving on the left side of the road made a wrong turn and there was a pileup. Several guys were hurt including the host with a broken wrist.

One of the other videos that's cool with the repair guy is that he shows a number of frames that he's sawed down the middle. He goes into some cool explanation of improvements in the manufacturing process as the factories have learned throughout the years. Neat stuff.

Last edited by parris; 01-20-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Riding Along

Very good and technically spot on. Reminds me of why I cringe when I see someone riding a no name carbon frame bought on Alibaba.

Here is his take on Carbon wheels: Part 1 and Part 2

Last edited by Black Dog; 01-20-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:36 PM

I follow that dude on Instagram. He often posts photos of the frames or parts he's repairing or deconstructing. Interesting stuff.

http://instagram.com/luescher_teknik

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 01-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Yeah
Old 01-20-2017, 11:26 PM

I'd be very very curious to know what the failure rate for carbon frames and components is... Likely it's a closely guarded secret for the component makers, but shouldn't the bike community organize itself and post pictures + descriptions of failed components and circumstances leading to the failure?..

(There used to be a database of broken components, including cranks, with attendant info... Kind of important for failures that could result in serious injury – a pedal eye hole breaking can dump you into traffic, a steerer tube failing can spell major reconstruction surgery...)
Old 01-20-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
I'd be very very curious to know what the failure rate for carbon frames and components is... Likely it's a closely guarded secret for the component makers, but shouldn't the bike community organize itself and post pictures + descriptions of failed components and circumstances leading to the failure?..

(There used to be a database of broken components, including cranks, with attendant info... Kind of important for failures that could result in serious injury – a pedal eye hole breaking can dump you into traffic, a steerer tube failing can spell major reconstruction surgery...)
Yesterday I messaged the seller of this Deda Forza stem, politely saying that maybe they didn't know but that that exact stem had been completely recalled (Google Deda Forza stem recall), because of documented failures, and that perhaps this should be somehow referenced in the listing.

A few hours later: "Thank you! Will fix that right away!"

As of today, of course, absolutely no change in the description at all.

I suppose a database of some kind, listing for example all recalls, would be useful. Most sellers would probably not read it or respect it, but at least conscientious buyers could.

Certainly, continuing to list a known defective stem with no warning (let alone just not selling it, period), after someone in the bike community has reached out, is complete bull****.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Yesterday I messaged the seller of this Deda Forza stem, politely saying that maybe they didn't know but that that exact stem had been completely recalled (Google Deda Forza stem recall), because of documented failures, and that perhaps this should be somehow referenced in the listing.

I suppose a database of some kind, listing for example all recalls, would be useful. Most sellers would probably not read it or respect it, but at least conscientious buyers could.

Certainly, continuing to list a known defective stem with no warning (let alone just not selling it, period), after someone in the bike community has reached out, is complete bull****.

I hear ya... 'been tempted to do this for so many "For Sale" postings. But I get that even for non-crabon components. (Wheels that use radial spoking with J-bend spokes tend to be a flange failure waiting to happen... Octalink BBs... any non-sleeved handlebar whose torque history you don't know... but maybe I'm too paranoid :-)
Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post

He shouldn't "reference" the recall, he should take the item off eBay. Craigslist and all other resale venues have the same policy. Two reasons ... 1.) it is a violation of eBay's rules to sell anything being actively recalled, 2.) it is illegal (US law) to sell (or otherwise transfer ownership of) anything actively recalled by CPSC unless the the proper corrective action has been taken.

One of those things where there just aren't enough resources to monitor compliance and general public knowledge/acceptance of the rules is minimal. https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/ResellersGuide_0.pdf

Technically eBay has a responsibility to prevent listing of recalled items, but that's almost impossible without a mechanism that requires part numbers and serial numbers to list. Even then many items aren't serialized. eBay vests responsibility with the seller to keep recalled products from being listed and theoretically will take action if the company discovers a violation of their policy.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
He shouldn't "reference" the recall, he should take the item off eBay.
Of course. I completely agree. Thanks for your description of the legal issues/policies. I simply gave the seller the benefit of the doubt yesterday, hoping that he/she would in fact delete the listing..

A recalled stem is no joke, and I have seen photos of those cracked Forzas. Something like that failing could be potentially fatal. I couldn't believe the seller would simply do nothing, and apparently not care.

So just now I went through the (very straightforward, actually) eBay process:
Report Item
Report Category: Prohibited and restricted items
Reason for Report: Other prohibited or restricted items
Detailed Reason: Recalled items

Done. The seller must have no conscience at all. I hope eBay deletes the listing, and does not permit a re-listing.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:13 AM

Good that you saw it and reported it, not to mention being aware of the recall in the first place. Of the thousands of bike parts that I've handled I'm not aware of any that have been recalled, but I'd guess some of them have been. The only ones known to be prone to failure are NR/SR cranks, but I don't know if they were ever recalled.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/bustedcarbon