Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 06:23 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
The vistas of the Mojave mountains and the desert itself, plus the amazing lighting at sunrise and sunset, make for the best car ads ever. It's surprising how many of them are shot around here. Last time I was out here, about 2-1/2 years ago, Matthew McConaughey was there for almost a month shooting a series of car ads.
Bingo. That's why I was there, shooting car spots. It's the light, the horizon, and the length of the airstrip. Thing is, you wake up insanely early, prep for dawn magic hour, then do nothing until mad dash to prep and shoot at sunset magic hour...then go drink. One shoot we got to play with a tank, that was fun. Then at night you see all those funny lights flying incredibly fast out of Nevada to out over the ocean and back, or so the stories go.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:56 AM

There's no way I could live in a minivan for that long. However.... I do "live" in a Sprinter 3 nights per month when traveling for work. It's a bit weird (if you ask my coworkers), but I really don't care. I'd rather sleep in my own bed than a rental bed at a hotel, plus I enjoy the adventure. There's always a bike in the back for after-work riding.

But, NOT being able to stand up straight would drive me nuts after a day.

IF Planet X | Kona Ti SS 29er | Scott Fatbike | Turner Flux
Old 01-20-2017, 09:06 AM

well, I might have to do it out of necessity if my divorce happens....
Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM

I think it’s a neat idea, get a sooped up sprinter van with two awesome bikes, a decent bed inside, maybe web access for human contact and communication (sarc). Travel the country, explore all the great riding, write a book, take amazing photos, sketch a sketch book, start a truly exceptional blog, maybe follow some bike demos around the west, seek out the wize and learn from their wizdom, sounds like a good time, sounds like a dream.

I really like the South West I feel like I am on a different planet. Death Valley, Kings C, Sequoia, Zion, Grand Canyon, Moab, Joshua tree, Mojave etc etc. are all amazing. Some more so than others, the Mojave makes me uneasy.

I suppose it could get old after a while and living in such an enclosed space will test your mental fortitude. As others have said then a hotel every once in a while.

You could build a sweet outdoor shower too… big tank on top for water storage heated by the sun (collect some bootleged rain maybe), maybe stick a portable immersion heater in there for a warm morning shower. Of course some cheap shower curtains with colorful fishes on them are a must, also useful for the bumper dumper.

As for actually living in a van or a truck day to day while not on an exotic journey seeking the question to 42, only if the fates demand it and those three demented witches are pretty much blind.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 AM

awesome thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Actually, I did this for a brief period. I think it was about 6 weeks or so. I too was working on a base that had a gym.

I found campground close by and road my bike to work. Nobody was the wiser.

I actually loved it
if this pans out I will likely start on base but may look at camping within a 20 mile bike ride too
Old 01-20-2017, 10:31 AM

i think RV are too $$$, cheapest sprinter i saw was $59k used

To be clear i would work 4, 10-hr days then go home for 3 days, so 4 nights and then back home

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
I have wanted a sprinter based rv forever - my cpa says it can be considered a second residence. I would get a used roadtrek agile (smallest one) set up the longest payment plan on it (cheapest) and if you hate it down the road, just sell it. They are expensive, but hold their value incredibly well. Bathroom, stove, kitchen, tv, tons of storage. Mpg is pretty good too if you have a light foot and hwy miles (20ish)...

For me, and you might be different, I think after a couple days of working, there might be a night you just want to unwind and relax in a comfortable space. I follow a ton of van conversion instagram accounts and belong to forums, and for a quick weekend camping outing they look great, but week after week, I think it would get old. Just my opinion... you only live once, be comfortable!

I know, you can prob rent a room for less than a sprinter conversion, but you can't take that room anywhere!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
To be clear i would work 4, 10-hr days then go home for 3 days, so 4 nights and then back home
For me, week after week, I would want a little more space I could stand in and be able to use the bathroom without hassle...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
i think RV are too $$$, cheapest sprinter i saw was $59k used
I'm starting to hear some pushback against the prices of the Sprinter online, with the trending hot ticket being the newer Ford Transit vans. They apparently haven't yet started getting really popular for conversions, so used prices are still relatively low.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I'm starting to hear some pushback against the prices of the Sprinter online, with the trending hot ticket being the newer Ford Transit vans. They apparently haven't yet started getting really popular for conversions, so used prices are still relatively low.
i think the new nissans are going to be the hot ticket.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

+1

I'd stay away from Mercedes Sprinter vans. Don't take my word, take this guy's word who buy's them as fleet vehicles

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson
Old 01-20-2017, 10:58 AM

My wife and I camp in the back of our Murano occasionally. Wouldn't want to do it for more than a couple days at a time though.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:11 AM

I used to live in a van full time, a 1985 VW. It was pretty fun, read some books, hang out at coffee shops, etc. I liked going on adventures to find new nice places to park over night.

I think doing it part time would be a great time.

Just join a gym for getting cleaned up and you are all set.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
the Nissans get fairly bad gas mileage and aren't very popular amongst adventure van folks. I'm not 100% sure why.

The Ford Transit is great for many reasons.... availability, dealer network, handling, etc. Cost wasn't much less than my Sprinter when optioned the same. Seats and materials are typical Ford econo-cheap, though. Mercedes cloth seats are a real nice, durable and firm setup. Ford seats feel like a cheap rental car.

I really liked the handling and ergonomics of the Transit, though. If they made a 'crew' version (driver/passenger plus 1 bench seat), I probably would have bought one over the Sprinter. 3 engine choices, too.

Generally, Sprinter 4 cyl engines get great reviews and are reliable and relatively low-cost. 24 mpg, too!

IF Planet X | Kona Ti SS 29er | Scott Fatbike | Turner Flux
Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I spent a month there TAD a few years back, but of course it was Feb! i hope to try it, and if it isn't fun i won't do it long. it isn't by necessity, just want to try, and wondered about the collective experiences here on the forum.
thanks again
jim
You have the initiative to think about it. It's not a place where you are in danger like you would be in many urban areas, or where it's illegal. On military bases, especially rural ones like China Lake, a lot of things are considered acceptable. Go for it. See how you like it and start shopping around to see if you can find a short-term house-share or other rental that makes better sense. It's a hard part of the country between economy and weather, but it's also beautiful and the work done there can be fascinating. (Our research lab there had several acres in back, abutting the actual weapons range. We actually had a big crater in the middle of the yard and in the middle you could still see the tail fins of a cruise missile that went astray. You always get to see interesting planes, missiles, etc. flying past the line of high resolution radars on the road up from San Bernardino to Ridgecrest.)
Old 01-20-2017, 11:36 AM

stray cruise missile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
You have the initiative to think about it. It's not a place where you are in danger like you would be in many urban areas, or where it's illegal. On military bases, especially rural ones like China Lake, a lot of things are considered acceptable. Go for it. See how you like it and start shopping around to see if you can find a short-term house-share or other rental that makes better sense. It's a hard part of the country between economy and weather, but it's also beautiful and the work done there can be fascinating. (Our research lab there had several acres in back, abutting the actual weapons range. We actually had a big crater in the middle of the yard and in the middle you could still see the tail fins of a cruise missile that went astray. You always get to see interesting planes, missiles, etc. flying past the line of high resolution radars on the road up from San Bernardino to Ridgecrest.)
i hope those days are all in the past!