Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 12:00 PM

I have worked with base security in the past and you will not be allowed to sleep in the van on base. You certainly might be able to get away with it for a while but you may be risking your position doing it.

Assuming you can find a safe, legal place to sleep, it is doable but why in the hell would you want to.

If you are that broke maybe stand on a street corner holding a sign. Otherwise rent a room somewhere like decent, normal people do.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
If you are that broke maybe stand on a street corner holding a sign. Otherwise rent a room somewhere like decent, normal people do.
ha....that's a pretty asinine statement.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM

it isn't about being broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
I have worked with base security in the past and you will not be allowed to sleep in the van on base. You certainly might be able to get away with it for a while but you may be risking your position doing it.

Assuming you can find a safe, legal place to sleep, it is doable but why in the hell would you want to.

but it seems a waste of money when all i need is a place to sleep. I commuted by bike to work from 9/11 until my hip issues in late 2011--5 of those years were 50 miles a day, so i was used to showering at the base gym or just wiping down with rubbing alcohol if time was too short. the base has nice RV area i can park and sleep for 15/day or /98 a week, which is what made me think about it.

Last edited by jimcav; 01-19-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Ex-Mr.President

I like the idea of living minimally. My thoughts begin to shift when you yourself start to feel run down. I am thinking stomach issues where the bathroom is going to be your friend...and privacy.

I would think after time if you have a long or horrible day, coming home to your minivan might also affect your mood our outlook.

Just things that jumped to the front of my thoughts. Do i think it would be fun and crazy and make for some good stories...sure, but the little things that i enjoy about my home would cause me to want at least a seedy hotel room.

Best of luck pal, it sounds adventurous, maybe alter the adventure a bit.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:26 PM

i appreciate this post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
I like the idea of living minimally. My thoughts begin to shift when you yourself start to feel run down. I am thinking stomach issues where the bathroom is going to be your friend...and privacy.

I would think after time if you have a long or horrible day, coming home to your minivan might also affect your mood our outlook.

Just things that jumped to the front of my thoughts. Do i think it would be fun and crazy and make for some good stories...sure, but the little things that i enjoy about my home would cause me to want at least a seedy hotel room.

Best of luck pal, it sounds adventurous, maybe alter the adventure a bit.
I always will have the option of a room on base if available, the base RV park has a little community enter with bathroom and shower, and of course off base there are econolodge/holiday inn types etc.

BTW, sorry i didn't link up with you but between the horrible weather, my pinched nerve, working on my old 1890 house, and my mom getting sick, i was just spread too thin. i go 2 ride in at Ft Ben the 1st 3 days i was home and that was it
Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Princess Sweat

If I were single or had a more adventurous girlfriend I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'm in my 30s and in the bike industry. I spend $7-8k on my half of the rent every year (and that's a cheap place in Los Angeles). I'd be ok with not spending that money.

DO IT!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
but it seems a waste of money when all i need is a place to sleep. I commuted by bike to work from 9/11 until my hip issues in late 2011--5 of those years were 50 miles a day, so i was used to showering at the base gym or just wiping down with rubbing alcohol if time was too short. the base has nice RV area i can park and sleep for 15/day or /98 a week, which is what made me think about it.
The idea of living out a van seems absolutely crazy to me but we are all different. At very least I would NEED a separate space for living and driving. Having to pack up camp every time I leave just seems like a night mare.

Regardless of what I think, check with the campground in question. Having single (or even family) military living on campsites is become more prevalent in Tidewater MWR campsites. Most camp sites have usage restriction that would limit how often you are able to use it. Some bases locally will make exceptions for young service members but I would be surprised if they would make an exception for a non service member.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:40 PM

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
If I were single or had a more adventurous girlfriend I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'm in my 30s and in the bike industry. I spend $7-8k on my half of the rent every year (and that's a cheap place in Los Angeles). I'd be ok with not spending that money.

DO IT!
i am really hopeful on gettign the job, as I truly am looking forward to the adventure of it--being with myself, enjoying the drive up there (maybe buy sirius and listen to bluegrass, which i love but my family do NOT) and minimizing expenses--all sort of focused on saving more now; true retirement a little earlier hopefully; getting into night riding, finding good mtb trails along the drive to break it up; and greater appreciation for the 3 days i have with my boys each week.

Last edited by jimcav; 01-19-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
I always will have the option of a room on base if available, the base RV park has a little community enter with bathroom and shower, and of course off base there are econolodge/holiday inn types etc.

BTW, sorry i didn't link up with you but between the horrible weather, my pinched nerve, working on my old 1890 house, and my mom getting sick, i was just spread too thin. i go 2 ride in at Ft Ben the 1st 3 days i was home and that was it
Brother don't sweat it. I am not going anywhere unless I win the lottery or teaching all of a sudden pays like the MLB, NBA, or NFL. So yeah I'll be stuck in Fishers for some time.

You let me know when you are local and we can go for a road or mtb ride. Found a cool doughnut shop in pendelton that does some wicked cool stuff. Good times.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 PM

For me, I'd only see that as a short term solution. Living out of a van is going to get old after a few months - especially if the weather is at all unpredictable or crappy. For few weeks or a month, sure - knock it out, get it done on the cheap. For an extended situation, I want a dry, insulated, warm place I can stand up in to get dressed after I wake up in the morning. For long term - it would wear on me to the point that it would start affecting my performance at work.

Last edited by batman1425; 01-19-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Jim.

Screw it. Build yourself a microcamper, and the world is your oyster!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:55 PM

Try it and see if you like it. If you're not comfortable there are other fallback options.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:56 PM

yes i thought of that prior thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Jim.

Screw it. Build yourself a microcamper, and the world is your oyster!

i know i can put such a camper in the RV spot on base--not sure i will have time to build one, but i think the outdoor rec cneter on the base there actually rents such things--so i could trial it and maybe build one while there. I'd work a 10 hour day, but would have some time to do it if they'd let me keep it there a i built it (between going home) for 3 days each week.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
not that far from death valley. i have the 2 pads, very comfy and a great old down snow lion sleeping bag i've had since i was a kid. the summer heat worries me more

the base has nice facilities so i can work out and shower before work, so it would be far easier to sleep in the van or truck, vs drive off to some campground nightly. For a break i might tent camp now and then as there are some cool camp sites on the way to the kern river valley area...and trona pinnacles is near too
I gotcha, if it is where I think it is I was stationed there for a year about 20 years ago. Yep, it is a long way from no-where and I used to drive in everyday. I think you can make it work. Nobody is going to care if you live in a van or not.
Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2017, 01:01 PM

stuck in fishers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
Brother don't sweat it. I am not going anywhere unless I win the lottery or teaching all of a sudden pays like the MLB, NBA, or NFL. So yeah I'll be stuck in Fishers for some time.

You let me know when you are local and we can go for a road or mtb ride. Found a cool doughnut shop in pendelton that does some wicked cool stuff. Good times.
having escaped IN at 18, i get it, but there is indian food now! (india sizzling--best) and for the last 3 years i've driven home, then on to the in-laws in MD. there are more beautiful places, but many, many that are so much worse. of course i couldn't hack being a teacher. my best friend is a NHS teacher and I think he gets energy and enthusiasm from it, but i think it would do the opposite to me...