Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 AM

living in a truck or van?

i am considering a job about 4 hrs away, with flex schedule to allow 4 days on, 3 off (so will see family). since retiring i've had the seats out of the minivan so was thinking about throwing my tempurpedic travel/camp pads (have 2 i can stack) to cut costs of hotels or rental. my work would be on a military base where i can access the gym for showers, and will have a break room with fridge and microwave. I've been googling blogs about truck camping etc but wondered if anyone here had done it and could share their experience?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Sure!

Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 AM

edit: lol. beat to the punch while posting!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
i am considering a job about 4 hrs away, with flex schedule to allow 4 days on, 3 off (so will see family). since retiring i've had the seats out of the minivan so was thinking about throwing my tempurpedic travel/camp pads (have 2 i can stack) to cut costs of hotels or rental. my work would be on a military base where i can access the gym for showers, and will have a break room with fridge and microwave. I've been googling blogs about truck camping etc but wondered if anyone here had done it and could share their experience?
No on base housing?
If not an option, I have heard they have the nicest rv park areas around. Could be easy to buy something small and cheap and just leave (and live) on base.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Administrator

jim, it's probably a terrible idea for the situation you describe.

i've got the microcamper and am at home living in small spaces, but camping and bumming around are totally different than working a job with a set schedule and responsibilities.

it may not even be legal/allowed, depending on where you are planning on parking.

you'd also be known pretty quickly as the guy who lives in his van and showers at the gym.

people who brush their teeth in public bathrooms are creepy.

don't do it man.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Did it while commuting from Utah to Silicon Valley during dot com boom for +/- six months while figuring out where to buy( ended up in Felton ).

Having gym facilities( shower, pool etc )along with a kitchen option for making healthier eating makes the experience totally doable. That and if your a contractor you can fully apply yourself and generate significant billable hours- as not much else to occupy your time other then work, sleep, eat and exercise.

Plus should you ever feel the urge for the occasional traditional hotel/motel trappings it's easy to justify:-)
Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 AM

yes, there are base rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
No on base housing?
If not an option, I have heard they have the nicest rv park areas around. Could be easy to buy something small and cheap and just leave (and live) on base.
but $60/night, and space available---i can't book it long term; there is a nice RV park, but typically 30 days reservations, max at 180--so that could work--i need to learn more about small truck campers and the RV fee (always wanted a truck so this may be my justification--but the van is long paid for and has been reliable). i don't even know the tow rating but our freestar has a 2 inch receiver and the wiring harness to tow so maybe a small camper i can just leave at the RV spot. it will be super hot in summer, so i need to research how to keep a small camper cool!

Last edited by jimcav; 01-19-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 AM

Where is this at? A van can get really cold better off with a tent and going car camping somewhere. Most tent sites are like $20/day
Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 AM

is there a local KOA? you could get one of the tent camping sites for very cheap, especially if you're a member. then just park your van in the spot to sleep, plus you can shower and such there as well.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:57 AM

maybe look around for someone with a room to rent, back of house etc. Not impossible for a few hundred a month, and you have a real roof.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 AM

My little sister and her boyfriend live out of a van roughly 4-5 months out of the year. They're just pissed they didn't start doing it earlier (she's 30)

They even started their own company so others could 'try it out'

I say do it and don't look back

http://www.roamrentals.com/

Old 01-19-2017, 11:44 AM

I should also add that we do a family vacation to Central Oregon each year with the wife's side of the family using the whole fleet of vans from Roam Rentals (12 adults, 8 kids). We look forward to it every year and love the lifestyle. Even my brother in law who is a hotel/resort kinda guy adapts and loves it. AS LONG AS YOU'RE PREPARED. Preparation is key for this type of endeavor, but as long as you are setup well, then success is sure to come.

For your application I think a fold-able sleeping platform for the back of the Mini-Van would work perfect. I bought a 'weekender' overland/camping truck and built a sleep platform that'll allow me to drive straight to a campsite/remote area and just unfold platform and crash in the back. I plan on making separate storage cubby holes below and just put the camping/overnight gear in one of the holes that way me and my boy can just hop in and go if we want to. Wife took it to the grocery store the other day and she said that the platform actually created MORE 'usable' space and made her errands easier.

best of luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedplatform.jpg (79.8 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg sleeplatformm.jpg (65.6 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg sleeplatform.jpg (64.2 KB, 409 views)

Last edited by azrider; 01-19-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:52 AM

thanks for this info

i wonder if i can add a pop up to my minivan?
jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
I should also add that we do a family vacation to Central Oregon each year with the wife's side of the family using the whole fleet of vans from Roam Rentals (12 adults, 8 kids). We look forward to it every year and love the lifestyle. Even my brother in law who is a hotel/resort kinda guy adapts and loves it. AS LONG AS YOU'RE PREPARED. Preparation is key for this type of endeavor, but as long as you are setup well, then success is sure to come.

For your application I think a fold-able sleeping platform for the back of the Mini-Van would work perfect. I bought a 'weekender' overland/camping truck and built a sleep platform that'll allow me to drive straight to a campsite/remote area and just unfold platform and crash in the back. I plan on making separate storage cubby holes below and just put the camping/overnight gear in one of the holes that way me and my boy can just hop in and go if we want to. Wife took it to the grocery store the other day and she said that the platform actually created MORE 'usable' space and made her errands easier.

best of luck.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 AM

china lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
Where is this at? A van can get really cold better off with a tent and going car camping somewhere. Most tent sites are like $20/day
not that far from death valley. i have the 2 pads, very comfy and a great old down snow lion sleeping bag i've had since i was a kid. the summer heat worries me more

the base has nice facilities so i can work out and shower before work, so it would be far easier to sleep in the van or truck, vs drive off to some campground nightly. For a break i might tent camp now and then as there are some cool camp sites on the way to the kern river valley area...and trona pinnacles is near too
Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
i wonder if i can add a pop up to my minivan?
jim
that price starts to skyrocket quickly when you consider removal of ceiling, fabricating pop up to fit, etc