Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Not for nothing, but one of the BEST things about buying a bix box bike like a high end Trek, Specialized, etc. is, assuming you don't have crazy fit issues, you either ride it off the dealer showroom, or order it and voila, it arrives in short order. Instant or near instant gratification. And as others have said, their top end offerings are, by & large, top shelf in materials, design, etc.

In that process, you don't have to deal with all the b.s. that often comes with a boutique or esp. a custom build.

I've got a Tarmac S-Works, and would be lying through my fat gut that I need a frame more capable than my abilities allow. It's an awesome frame, and I'm sure the other top shelf offerings from Trek, Giant, etc. are all highly capable rigs, of course.

But as I said before, damn it all if it they ain't fugly as all get out, with those big fat tubes and goofy curves, including my Tarmac!

I'd prefer a round tubed, lugged carbon offering from Parlee or Colnago all day long.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:06 AM

What particularly resonated for me in the article that started this thread was the discussion of the approach to building bikes that trek has stayed with over the years. Like the smaller custom builders, they try to do things in house. For me, an inveterate do-er, though inevitable amateur most of the time, the realization that they want to keep product development for carbon, etc, in house and learn from it incrementally tells a great story. That story sets trek apart to some extent. I can imagine how the retailer (AC, who I had never previously heard of here in these remote mountains) could position this to fit into their mission.

I've rather enjoyed this discussion.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Benefits to picking up a controversial bike brand: Getting to abuse them for five days solid to test their mettle.

https://abovecategorycycling.com/jou...om-la-stage-1/
https://abovecategorycycling.com/jou...om-la-stage-2/