Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 AM
needs adult supervision

I wonder how much moving the shop influenced this decision? The move, seen from afar, seems aimed at growing the shop (which is cool). Their traditional product line-up has a well-heeled but limited market. To attract new and different clients, you need new and different products. Adding Trek feels like a byproduct of their growth strategy.

Personally, I'd just have a hard time riding a bike with Trek on the DT. Same with the big S. Both make great bikes (and I admit that if I rode a debadged Trek in a blind test I'd probably dig it), but I just have negative associations to both. However, I'd be happy to rock a C-dale. Not saying my feelings make sense, but somehow C-dale has held on to its cred (for me) while Trek and Specialized have degraded their appeal by trying to be all things to all riders.

A rider has so many good choices today for a great frame, I just can't muster the desire to ride a Trek or Big S regardless of how good they are. But that's just my .02.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:24 AM

Just bought a 2 year old used Madone 7 series from a friend and have to say it is really sweet...does everything well and the comfort of carbon make it my go to bike now. Going to end up selling my old csi and legend ti. I just ride the hell out of the trek now.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Everything is Trek or Bontgager branded in their big box stores, and that's a shame. It makes business sense but turns off the individualist consumer, which most of us probably are.
... And most people that walk into a bike shop arent
Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 AM

Call me a cynic, but I'll take a guess that sales of $20k bikes are down, so $10k bikes that are from a well known brand are better than no sales.

They do make a nice bike. And a new model seemingly every year, the prior year being 15% less awesome.

They sure are ugly though.

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-07-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Administrator

if i were running a very high end shop, i would absolutely carry a more pedestrian brand also.

people who have good 'spendin money are older, generally speaking. they have kids and family and friends they want to get into the sport.

when daddy warbucks gets his baum tuned up at AC, he doesnt want to drive across town to a different bike shop to pick up a trek for his son to ride with him, and he aint buyin that kid another baum until he knows sonny boy like ridin.

there are a whole bunch of good reasons to carry a slightly more affordable brand if you're a big shop, IMO.

i'd go cannondale before trek myself, but they both make great bikes.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:30 AM

If I recall, Signature Cycles, which is the original high end boutique shop, carried only the high end Specialized frames (Tarmac, Venge) for awhile, but that was awhile ago. Dunno how or if that ever played out.

Sounds like AC following that playbook.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:22 AM

Maybe this decision was based on a desire for change rather than out of financial necessity.

Selling only elite bikes can get rather stuffy probably. This gives them the opportunity to "keep it real" and bring in some clients who otherwise might not give them the time of day.

Besides, it would be hard to imagine a shop that moves more Baums than AC. Pegs never hang around there for very long either. Also have seen personally quite a few custom Mosaics go out the door.

In terms of the Trek brand, I bet you they tried all the top brands on the road before making their decision.

It's an exciting new thing for them, hence all the press. But that will calm down eventually.

Fwiw, I just rented an Emonda SL over the holidays from Fairwheel when I went back home. Nice bike! Super comfy, good descender... couldn't find anything to complain about.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Steel..what else??

Hype meets reality.

Give me a Cannondale any day.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
If I recall, Signature Cycles, which is the original high end boutique shop, carried only the high end Specialized frames (Tarmac, Venge) for awhile, but that was awhile ago. Dunno how or if that ever played out.

Sounds like AC following that playbook.
Iirc, that originally had more to do with extending their tri/tt offerings, and has mainly extended into dual-suspension mtbs and fatbikes. I don't think they sell a lot of the high-end Specialized road bikes. Other than the demo tri and fatbike, they don't stock anything from them. As far as accessories go, they probably offer the saddles since some of them are actually first rate, but nothing else afaik.

There's also an extended connection between Paul and the Specialized fit school, so I think the relationship is decades old.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Ahh, well that 'splain's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Iirc, that originally had more to do with extending their tri/tt offerings, and has mainly extended into dual-suspension mtbs and fatbikes. I don't think they sell a lot of the high-end Specialized road bikes. Other than the demo tri and fatbike, they don't stock anything from them. As far as accessories go, they probably offer the saddles since some of them are actually first rate, but nothing else afaik.

There's also an extended connection between Paul and the Specialized fit school, so I think the relationship is decades old.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:03 PM

Can I just have a Crumpton and call it a day?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Can I just have a Crumpton and call it a day?
That day is more like 6 months. And that is its problem.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
That day is more like 6 months. And that is its problem.
No problem for me. Its the $ I cant part with.......
Old 01-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Best Stoner? Those Opens are sweeeet

These dudes just want to say they carry the best of the best. Best Ti, best steel and now best carbon. Simple and possibly true.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:31 PM

Westpoint Cycles (in Vancouver BC) used to sell Serotta, Independent Fabrications and Kelly Bedford. I used to walk around the shop to ogle all three brands on the showroom floor and think about buying my dream bike from a local shop. Now Westpoint proudly sells Trek and has a sister store for the Triathletes. I wonder if AC will go down that road and become your local Trek dealer.