Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
my work would be on a military base where i can access the gym for showers, and will have a break room with fridge and microwave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Just join a gym for getting cleaned up and you are all set.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
i hope those days are all in the past!
If you're referring to the stray missiles, ... no. They use the millimeter band radar on the hills south of China Lake to measure steering plane deflections on missiles, and have chase jets with high speed cameras taking video and telemetry as well. It's not unusual to see them go by. They're supposed to fall way out in the lake bed; sometimes, they don't. I don't know if there has ever been a problem in Ridgecrest, but they tend to run the test flights west of town. Planes landing at Inyokern airport, the local civilian field, are at times asked to hold while some ship-to-air missile goes flying by. It's just part of life there.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Senior Shmoozer

Gotta be a better way

As a dedicated car camper I can tell you that finding a safe legal free place to park is an issue. National forests and BLM lands work. but are there any near your Job? Early morning routines before you get to work will be inconvenient. this will get old fast imo. A fully equipped mini camper that you can stand up in (as mentioned ) is the minimum. Otherwise it will wear you out.

VF
Old 01-20-2017, 01:47 PM

i can park on base I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryfactory View Post
As a dedicated car camper I can tell you that finding a safe legal free place to park is an issue. National forests and BLM lands work. but are there any near your Job? Early morning routines before you get to work will be inconvenient. this will get old fast imo. A fully equipped mini camper that you can stand up in (as mentioned ) is the minimum. Otherwise it will wear you out.

VF
worst case will pay $15 fee as a "rv", there is camping nearby too if i go that route--i think blm land surrounds in all directions

Last edited by jimcav; 01-20-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:10 PM
ZhugeLiang

Jim pal, do it!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
worst case will pay $15 fee as a "rv", there is camping nearby too if i go that route--i think blm land surrounds in all directions
Victory, he's got the option of being in an RV park inside a military base. Which makes it entirely cool and safe. Then it's just whether he can stand the cold, the heat, the rabid rabbits, the scorpions, and so on.

Jim, lots of BLM land there but my recollection is that much of it is not like BLM land in the Northwest -- it's restricted access because of the classified work that goes on nearby. Even with military passes we would get evicted by military patrols on a regular basis.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:40 PM
n - 1

For those hot summer nights, this may be the ticket.

https://www.campmor.com/c/dac-explor...cle-tent-20747

Old 01-20-2017, 09:29 PM

ok good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Victory, he's got the option of being in an RV park inside a military base. Which makes it entirely cool and safe. Then it's just whether he can stand the cold, the heat, the rabid rabbits, the scorpions, and so on.

Jim, lots of BLM land there but my recollection is that much of it is not like BLM land in the Northwest -- it's restricted access because of the classified work that goes on nearby. Even with military passes we would get evicted by military patrols on a regular basis.
i only know the walker pass area campsites (west toward inyokern) and trona pinnacles--which maybe was south or east--there were tons of folks there both times i was out there.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Why bother leaving the base...

Just set up a tent cot in the break room. I saw a Craigslist ad once by someone looking to rent space in an apartment so he could set up one of these for sleeping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg pDSP1-15278683dt.jpeg (79.8 KB, 85 views)
Old 01-21-2017, 04:09 PM

Go for it. I've done it two summers.

You are not doing it full time. Just part of a week.

I working in Vail with my brother. It was ~$1000 a month to rent a room. That was the cost of a kayak a month for each of us. We bought a $800 VW passenger bus. We took the seats out and built a bed frame. The frame is key. It makes it storage much easier. Luggage, food and coolers go under the frame. The sleeping bags stay rolled out. We would find a tree or table to set up the camp stove. It was easy to find a river bank or park to hang out.

When we had time off, the kayaks, gear and camping stuff was loaded. We were instantly ready to go.

The next summer, I went back solo. I bought a used shell for my S-10 pickup. Again the bedframe is key. It makes storage so easy. I welded a rack that fit around the shell. My bike hung on one side. My creek boat and play boat were always loaded.

It is the easier way to travel. One a road trip, when you got tired you would look for forest service or BLM on the topo map. And unless posted you can camp BLM/forest service.

Previous comment was correct. You can sleep in Walmart parking lots. RV parks have seen a loss in business since Walmart.

If I were single I'd have a shell and boat rack on my truck.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:57 PM

thanks this is similar to what i would envision

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetuximab View Post
You are not doing it full time. Just part of a week.

I working in Vail with my brother. It was ~$1000 a month to rent a room. That was the cost of a kayak a month for each of us. We bought a $800 VW passenger bus. We took the seats out and built a bed frame. The frame is key. It makes it storage much easier. Luggage, food and coolers go under the frame. The sleeping bags stay rolled out. We would find a tree or table to set up the camp stove. It was easy to find a river bank or park to hang out.

When we had time off, the kayaks, gear and camping stuff was loaded. We were instantly ready to go.

The next summer, I went back solo. I bought a used shell for my S-10 pickup. Again the bedframe is key. It makes storage so easy. I welded a rack that fit around the shell. My bike hung on one side. My creek boat and play boat were always loaded.

It is the easier way to travel. One a road trip, when you got tired you would look for forest service or BLM on the topo map. And unless posted you can camp BLM/forest service.

Previous comment was correct. You can sleep in Walmart parking lots. RV parks have seen a loss in business since Walmart.

If I were single I'd have a shell and boat rack on my truck.
bike on one side, sleep on the other side. I doubt i will get much riding unless i get into night riding though, since my 10-hour days will pretty much kill ride time, since i plan to head home to the family each 3-day weekend. but maybe sometimes they will come up to the area. lots of options
Old 01-22-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetuximab View Post
Correct about Walmart, but don't abuse it. Some localities do not permit it. Walmart provides that service to accomodate people passing thru who need a place for one night. There are some unwritten rules.
https://youtu.be/heh-KyvfL54

Basically:
- ask for permission first
- park out of the way
- no popups or tents
- stay only one night
- do not extend slides or awnings
- do not drop levelers
- do not take chairs or bbq's out
- it's a good idea to go inside and buy something

If people abuse these rules, Walmart will no longer extend this privilege to RVers. Again, the purpose behind this policy is to allow RVers who are passing thru a quick place to sty for the night.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph