Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Yay for disc brakes that let us swap sizes so easily...
Cheers to that!

Please report back when you get those RTPs on there.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
its a better tubeless tire apparently so I guess its a toss
I guess that's debatable and dependent one's definition of "better tubeless". I just setup SBH ELs tubeless on Stan's Mk3 Crest rims and it was stupid easy with a regular floor pump. Still waiting on the frame to be finished so they're just hanging, but they're holding pressure for days. I did notice one area on only one of the tires where the sealant seeped out at the bead, but it certainly sealed up.

Contrary to Guido I felt like SBH ELs were the supplest and fastest tire I've ridden. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-20-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:35 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I guess that's debatable and dependent one's definition of "better tubeless". I just setup SBH ELs tubeless on Stan's Mk3 Crest rims and it was stupid easy with a regular floor pump. Still waiting on the frame to be finished so they're just hanging, but they're holding pressure for days. I did notice one area on only one of the tires where the sealant seeped out at the bead, but it certainly sealed up.

Contrary to Guido I felt like SBH ELs were the supplest and fastest tire I've ridden. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
from what I have heard from people that have ridden SBH and Horizons, the horizons just are better in the long run as in the SBH works great but eventually will start leaking because of the thin walls (this probably only on the super light casing one).

I like my SBH a lot but I think on pavement, the babyshoe is a better tire. WBH is fine on pavement don't get me wrong but you definitely have to increase pressure or they will be too bouncy (at least for me). That said I like the SBH more, I think its a great tire and one of my favorites
Old 01-20-2017, 04:31 PM

I think which one you like has to do with your relationship to low trail. I like the quick light feel that low trail gives, the Babyshoe pass tire hits it spot on while still providing the magic carpet ride. If you want things slowed down a bit the Switchback Hill tire will take the twitchy out of the sub 36 bikes. The 26"/RTP tires keep the light input with the flotation for rough roads...
Old 01-20-2017, 05:17 PM

I don't quite follow, guido. Indulge me.

I really liked 44-584 (actual) on a bike that, with those tires, had 39mm mechanical trail.
I really like the tire feel of SBH on a bike that didn't fit well enough and handled poorly with a front load because of its 72d HTA and 57mm mechanical trail.
I spec'd a custom frame to have 35mm mechanical trail with SBH based on my favorable view of the handling with that approximate value of trail, my favorable impression of those tires in general and my builder's own riding experience with those tires and the same 35mm trail. Let's hope I spec'd it right.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:23 PM

Nothing fancy. Just pneumatic trail compensating for the reduced mechanical trail. Bigger tires have more pneumatic trail.

Last edited by guido; 01-22-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Nothing fancy. Just pneumatic trail compensating for the reduced mechanical trail. Bigger tires have more pneumatic trail.
I get that. But what numbers are you attributing to a particular increase in a given tire volume? How exactly are you compensating?

Is there an amount by which to increase trail to compensate for the increase in volume from 42-584 to 48-584? I don't know the math so I went with what little I had from experience.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-22-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I get that. But what numbers are you attributing to a particular increase in a given tire volume? How exactly are you compensating?

Is there an amount by which to increase trail to compensate for the increase in volume from 42-584 to 48-584? I don't know the math so I went with what little I had from experience.
I'm playing mostly from experience and the BQ articles on the subject...

That said, there is an interesting calculator that can let you play what-if games...
http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php

Start with a known combination and see what that comes up with. Then start playing with the variables to make guestimates as to what things would feel like...