Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 01:28 PM

Road shoe cleat bolt pattern question.

Hi, does anyone know what the smaller, 4th threaded nut on the bottom of some road shoes, drilled for Look-stlye cleats is for? It is for a smaller diameter bolt, so doesn't seem like it would be to hold a cleat on a shoe. Some kind of walking-aid?
A shim/riser thing?

You can see examples in the attached photos.

I was hoping I could finally use my SPD-R pedals, with some shoes I have with that extra bit, but the drilling isn't the same. I have been using Sampson Stratics pedals for the past 20 years, so I'm certainly not up on modern pedal systems.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giro-trans-road-cycling-shoes.jpg (55.8 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Gaerne Carbon G.Stilo Orange road shoes.jpg (61.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 01-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Riding Along

The 4th hole is for look pedals. Their cleats have a piece in the centre that bolts into that hole and stays on the shoe. When you replace the cleat the piece remains on the shoe and acts as a guide for the new cleat so that you do not have to worry about the position of the new cleat. I wish Shimano SPD-SL cleats had the same feature.

As for running SPD cleats there is an adaptor that Shimano makes just for this application. Part# SM-SH85

Last edited by Black Dog; 01-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info!

That makes so much logical sense that I'm surprised the bike industry ever instituted it. Could be that Look owns the patent rights and won't license it or something.

Beats my system of putting white tape around the cleats on the sole before taking them off. A bit fiddly, but beats having to do the ride/adjust/ride/adjust cycle over and over again.

I have seen those adapters online before, and have been tempted. I always held out hope I'd find some older shoes properly drilled for them. Maybe I'll just go for it.

Last edited by dsillito; 01-20-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:45 PM

I had the same question for the longest time. Thanks.

Trace the cleat with a sharpie before putting the new ones and good to go
Old 01-20-2017, 03:13 PM

I briefly had some Giro shoes of the generation that had the memory screw hole, had an issue with them, and they warrantied them for the (otherwise entirely superior) ACC version (with replaceable heel pad, etc). But it's a bit of a drag their newer soles don't have that, thought I'm sure it's lighter/easier to make/useless for other cleat systems. Still, I'd use it if I had it, despite my position turning out to be easy to duplicate, since I do use Looks. I guess I could glue or otherwise stick the little memory piece on, but hasn't bothered me enough to try to.

Last edited by phutterman; 01-20-2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutterman View Post
I briefly had some Giro shoes of the generation that had the memory screw hole, had an issue with them, and they warrantied them for the (otherwise entirely superior) ACC version (with replaceable heel pad, etc). But it's a bit of a drag their newer soles don't have that, thought I'm sure it's lighter/easier to make/useless for other cleat systems. Still, I'd use it if I had it, despite my position turning out to be easy to duplicate, since I do use Looks. I guess I could glue or otherwise stick the little memory piece on, but hasn't bothered me enough to try to.
I don't use Looks, but I had a first generation pair of Giro Factors with that memory screw and it rattled/ticked while pedaling because there was no screw there. Took me forever to figure out what the noise was. They actually warrantied the shoes for that problem.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
I had the same question for the longest time. Thanks.

Trace the cleat with a sharpie before putting the new ones and good to go
thats what I do. Saves me a gram per extra screw
Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 PM

OP, for most people the front hole in a Look pattern drilling happens to work quite nicely for the front bolt on SPDR's. For the rear one, just measure and drill a hole through the carbon fiber and insert a threaded stud. Sidi makes the nicest ones I've found. Just put the stud in and embed it in a little dab of epoxy to keep it in place. We still use SPDR's on the track and have to convert shoes all the time. It's easy.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Just measure and drill a hole through the carbon fiber and insert a threaded stud.... convert shoes all the time. It's easy.
THANK you! Yes, I'd like to declare open season on putting any cleat you like on any shoe you use. Don't let the manufacturers push you around! Use the "nice" threaded inserts, or get stainless M5 tee nuts from the hardware store (or #6-32 for Speedplay) and go to town.

Smash the system! The means of production must be in the hands of the proletariat! Don't be a fool! Buy me a drink!

Last edited by cachagua; 01-22-2017 at 11:39 PM.