Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 PM

My Croll project is starting to wrap up.

The Ritchey Speed Maxs are placeholders until my Challenge Almanzo tires show.

Also, my buddy is loaning me his Eggbeaters to check out.

Final step will be to swap for a compact crank, long rear derailleur and perhaps 13/29s. I'll do this right before the Almanzo 100, as my current plan is to race this one.

It's been fun to do this project. Time to ride though.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Black Mountain Cycles monster cross on the road

Took my new Black Mountain Cycles monster cross out for a dirt road ride yesterday. Those Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Roads really roll! They can handle anything, and they bounce over the potholes. I like the Salsa Cowbell bars too--comfy, esp with the padding of medium-strength Lizard Skins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gravel10.jpg (141.4 KB, 1106 views)
File Type: jpg gravel05.jpg (121.6 KB, 1106 views)
File Type: jpg gravel04.jpg (123.4 KB, 1106 views)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 AM

Cino ready.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
My Croll project is starting to wrap up.

It's been fun to do this project. Time to ride though.
Bueno!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc53 View Post
Took my new Black Mountain Cycles monster cross out for a dirt road ride yesterday. Those Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Roads really roll! They can handle anything, and they bounce over the potholes. I like the Salsa Cowbell bars too--comfy, esp with the padding of medium-strength Lizard Skins.
what width fenders did you use? I've been contemplating fenders for my BMC, just not sure if it would affect trail riding on it...
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhea View Post
(Snipped) It's build a gravel grinder time at in KRhea's shop!

This is a budget gravel build where I allowed myself up to $300 for a frame or frame/fork. My frame want list: aluminum w/some tube shaping, disc ready, braze-ons for fenders and or racks, more road geometry then crossish and room for some meaty rubber. The remainder of the parts I'm hoping come from the various boxes, drawers and hidden places within the shop.

I began my frame search using CL, local and online forums including Paceline as well as Ebay. Shockingly I scored, what for my use, is the perfect foundation for the build:

This frame was brand new, cost $50 plus $25 shipping!!!!! Nothing like a bit of patience combined with closeout sales to get whatcha need without breaking the bank! It's aluminum, disc ready, fork was included(non-disc), has plenty of braze-ons for fenders, racks and the geometry I was looking for. Had it put on a frame table and it's straight and ready to be built and ridden. No, it's not a multi $1000 Gazuletti aluminum race monster but the build quality is really good, it's straight and it'll serve my purpose perfectly, plus, it's really cool looking with it's buffed ano look. And, I saved $225 of my frame budget which now allows me to build a nice rear disc wheel!

I'll update the project as I decide on the parts spec. I already have a 9speed XTR rear derailleur I'll couple with Campy 10speed Ergos, a Centaur compact crank, Crank Bro pedals and a Tektro 926AL linear pull front brake. The rear brake will be a road BB7 of course. No idea of bar/stem, wheels etc.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this works for you, as I have 6 or 7 of these framesets of various sizes stashed in the attic. The ones I got are Rocky Mtn. branded and made in Canada. I'm pretty sure RMB uses the Miele brand for their Taiwan made frames, but yours looks very close to the RMBs I have. I'm going to build one for myself as a tourer, they have long stays. I thought they were a nice platform that could be built various ways: tourer, commuter, trails - with drop or flat bars. I'm putting one together now for a cop to commute to work on, and want to get another put together for a high school girl to ride RAGBRAI.

Did you check the BB drop on yours?

If you need a semi integrated headset, I found a good deal on a WTB Inner Peace on ebay.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 PM

haven't checked the bb drop but plan to. Thanks for the WTB headset tip, just found one on Ebay for $25 w/free shipping, appreciate the heads up.

Trying to decide on the rear disc wheel now. I'm looking for something used first and if that search is fruitless I'll consider a custom build.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
what width fenders did you use? I've been contemplating fenders for my BMC, just not sure if it would affect trail riding on it...
I put on the Planet Bike ATB fenders--just wide enough for the 700 x 43 Rock n Roads and just narrow enough to squeeze in between the fork and seatstays. I wanted to see if they would fit with these big ass tires, I'll probably take them off now, for summer riding. The Planet Bike fenders are pretty short, thus not great for riding in a group in the rain (for those behind you!), but better for off road trail riding, I would think, since they end up so high. But sticks and rocks could easily get lodged in there, it's tight clearance over the tires. Probably better to ride honest-to-goodness trails with those rooster tail or shovel flaps, whatever they're called.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM

I would not be at all surprised if this rides every bit as good as ANY bike you have ever ridden.

On the off chance you didn't know, you need to rotate the collar 180 degrees.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc53 View Post
I put on the Planet Bike ATB fenders--just wide enough for the 700 x 43 Rock n Roads and just narrow enough to squeeze in between the fork and seatstays. I wanted to see if they would fit with these big ass tires, I'll probably take them off now, for summer riding. The Planet Bike fenders are pretty short, thus not great for riding in a group in the rain (for those behind you!), but better for off road trail riding, I would think, since they end up so high. But sticks and rocks could easily get lodged in there, it's tight clearance over the tires. Probably better to ride honest-to-goodness trails with those rooster tail or shovel flaps, whatever they're called.
I hear you on the trail riding... thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:00 PM

Custom Lynskey Cooper CX

I had a custom Lynskey Cooper CX built using their Sportive geometry, clearance for CX tires, and cantilevers (they currently build for disc brakes but I prefer cantis). For me, the Sportive geometry is terrific. With the clearance for 34mm tires and fenders, this bike is great on the gravel and doubles perfectly with 28 to 32mm road tires as a road tourista.

Works for me.

R.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 Wheeler View Post
I would not be at all surprised if this rides every bit as good as ANY bike you have ever ridden.

On the off chance you didn't know, you need to rotate the collar 180 degrees.

Hope so and thanks for the comment on the clamp, I just popped it on before taking the pic to see if it actually would fit. It will def get turned around before installing post and riding. Thanks

KRhea
Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhea View Post
Geoff, I don't think I can "inspire" you buddy but I have started a gravel grinder build of my own. I'd been riding my cross bike on gravel adventures the past 2 or 3 years and then I got hit with a bad case of "bikeitis". You know the illness, suddenly you realize you haven't added a new bike to the stable for a few months, your mouth gets dry, you begin to twitch, palms get sweaty and you get that feeling deep inside that you need a new bike. You try your hardest to combat the symptoms but your resistance is low and your need is great so ya just roll over and give in! That's what I did. It's build a gravel grinder time at in KRhea's shop!

This is a budget gravel build where I allowed myself up to $300 for a frame or frame/fork. My frame want list: aluminum w/some tube shaping, disc ready, braze-ons for fenders and or racks, more road geometry then crossish and room for some meaty rubber. The remainder of the parts I'm hoping come from the various boxes, drawers and hidden places within the shop.

I began my frame search using CL, local and online forums including Paceline as well as Ebay. Shockingly I scored, what for my use, is the perfect foundation for the build:

This frame was brand new, cost $50 plus $25 shipping!!!!! Nothing like a bit of patience combined with closeout sales to get whatcha need without breaking the bank! It's aluminum, disc ready, fork was included(non-disc), has plenty of braze-ons for fenders, racks and the geometry I was looking for. Had it put on a frame table and it's straight and ready to be built and ridden. No, it's not a multi $1000 Gazuletti aluminum race monster but the build quality is really good, it's straight and it'll serve my purpose perfectly, plus, it's really cool looking with it's buffed ano look. And, I saved $225 of my frame budget which now allows me to build a nice rear disc wheel!

Here are more pics of the frame and I'll update the project as I decide on the parts spec. I already have a 9speed XTR rear derailleur I'll couple with Campy 10speed Ergos, a Centaur compact crank, Crank Bro pedals and a Tektro 926AL linear pull front brake. The rear brake will be a road BB7 of course. No idea of bar/stem, wheels etc. KRhea

Kevin...Not sure how I missed your post...I dig it...My gravelbike will definitely be on a budget...Keep us aprised of the build

Last edited by firerescuefin; 03-31-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 AM

When you kids size up on your clincher tires do you move to a bigger tube or stick with thesame one you use for your 700x23 tires? Specifically thinking about a 700x28 tire. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

I bought bigger tubes for my wide tires. I would not put a 23c tube in my 40c tire. Probably OK for a 28c tire though.