Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2023, 01:02 PM

Bont Shoes

Hi all,

I've been considering getting some new shoes, and while I've considered a few options, Bonts have interested me for a while. If I got any, I'd likely buy them used, as I can't exactly justify the cost of a brand new pair (or most brand-new high end shoes). That being said, I'm still not confident about my sizing and what they'll feel like. I tried some one in a store and my best size seemed like a 46 wide, although I think there was still some pressure on the metatarsophalangeal joint of my little toe (where a tailor's bunion would be). I also have flat feet, so I think I would need a model where the last has a flatter arch.

Knowing this, it seems like my best options might be a semi-custom, though that's probably not in the cards for me. Has anyone had similar experiences? I may be clinging to this more than I should, though I would like to determine if these shoes would work for me before moving on altogether. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:52 PM

Bont has a pretty good DIY sizing chart to download and print. Any model that is moldable should help you out,ideally getting a bont skateshop with the proper equipment should be able to knock some spots open for your feet. I had older Vaypors that were the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:08 PM

i thought I saw a pair of Bont 46's for sale in the classifieds this week in 46. Maybe look for those. I ordered a pair of Bonts a long time ago. I downloaded their fit sheet thing but it did not fit well on the 8.5"x11" sheet of paper I printed it on. Don't make the same stupid mistakes as I did.

If you are really particular about your feet, i.e. you know what a 'Tailor's Bunion' is, I would recommend going to any patient shop and trying on a range of shoes/brands/sizes to get an idea of what suits you. Then look at their posted sizing sheets and interpolate to whatever brand you are looking at.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:24 PM

Been on Bonts for close to 10 yrs. I have crazy arches, and a wide forefoot in relation to a narrow foot, and they work for me with an appropriate non Bont insole (Bont's is just a flat thin foam thing). However, the edges of the tub wrap up slightly to join the upper, and while you can heat and shape, it not ideal for anyone with bone spurs or bumps.
They feel loose in the heel with the right tension, but never an issue on the road.
The footbed is crazy stiff, which you might like or hate.
When it comes to shoes, Colby Pierce's pod "Cycling in Alignment" is instructive.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:37 PM
Member?

I picked up a pair of Bont, Vaypor G's, that were on sale on their website a while back, black with red trim. I used the Bont sizing thingy to determine my size. I baked them and had some issues on the outside of my foot. The length was fine. I bought a shoe stretcher from Amazon for 20 bucks. "eachway Shoe Stretcher Shoe Trees, Adjustable Length & Width for Men and Women". Baked them again and used the stretchers to target the outside of my foot. Awesome result.

I used to ski race. The boot/foot interface is critical. A good, well fitted, ski boot does not slide on like a slipper. My current ski boots have Intuition heat molded liners. The fit of the Bont reminds me of my ski boots. A bit of a struggle to get on, but once you foot is in, it's delightful. I did find that I had to put in a few rides on the Bont's for them to kinda "break in".

I use a "Sole" thin cork insole with a met pad. The stock Bont insole is not great.

Other shoes used in the past: Sidi, Northwave, Pearl Izumi, Shimano...

I hope you have a good result!
Old 04-04-2023, 09:04 PM

I tried to order some semi-custom shoes from Bont, and they told me that unless I already had a pair of Bont shoes that fit, I shouldn't order semi-custom.

I didn't get it, but if they say so... I canceled my order.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I tried to order some semi-custom shoes from Bont, and they told me that unless I already had a pair of Bont shoes that fit, I shouldn't order semi-custom.

I didn't get it, but if they say so... I canceled my order.
That is rather odd. I guess if they meant not to order if you don't already have a pair of Bonts that fit well enough. Even still, that seems pretty counterintuitive.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
I picked up a pair of Bont, Vaypor G's, that were on sale on their website a while back, black with red trim. I used the Bont sizing thingy to determine my size. I baked them and had some issues on the outside of my foot. The length was fine. I bought a shoe stretcher from Amazon for 20 bucks. "eachway Shoe Stretcher Shoe Trees, Adjustable Length & Width for Men and Women". Baked them again and used the stretchers to target the outside of my foot. Awesome result.

I used to ski race. The boot/foot interface is critical. A good, well fitted, ski boot does not slide on like a slipper. My current ski boots have Intuition heat molded liners. The fit of the Bont reminds me of my ski boots. A bit of a struggle to get on, but once you foot is in, it's delightful. I did find that I had to put in a few rides on the Bont's for them to kinda "break in".

I use a "Sole" thin cork insole with a met pad. The stock Bont insole is not great.

That seems like a really good tip! I've only had experience with Specialized, for reference, which have worked well enough for me. I might see if I can pick up a pair of less expensive Bonts, maybe some used Riots, just to see how the last feels and how much I can mold it. If it works out I'll give this a try!
Old 08-14-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:

*snip*

Thank you very much for this post. I had been having a devil of a time getting a pair of Bont Helix (size: 46.5) to fit properly. I tried a bunch of stuff - oven at 160 per manufacturer instructions, 175 also tried with limited result. Based on this post and another, I bought the eachway stretchers, set them up, and then went to work with a hairdryer on the problem areas with terrific result. For the heels, I used hairdryer and squeezed the heck out of them to get them narrowed up (and put in a little anti-slip pad at the cuff of the heel).

Specific technique was to put the stretchers in snug, soften up the problem spot with the hair dryer, expand the stretchers, and then wait till they cooled. This seems a better strategy than the screwdriver thing Bont recommends - which didn't work well for me - and avoids heating the whole shoe.

The Bont toebox is directionally correct in shape (like Altra shoes), but because it's a tub - which contributes to their superlative stiffness - if it's off a little, it won't work.

I'm coming from Giro Factors which are amply stiff and comfortable, so this was all about trying something different.

Bont's work great but take some work to get to perfect, at least for me. The shoe stretcher idea (and I did try cedar forms earlier) - if you're having trouble - really works.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post
Thank you very much for this post. I had been having a devil of a time getting a pair of Bont Helix (size: 46.5) to fit properly. I tried a bunch of stuff - oven at 160 per manufacturer instructions, 175 also tried with limited result. Based on this post and another, I bought the eachway stretchers, set them up, and then went to work with a hairdryer on the problem areas with terrific result. For the heels, I used hairdryer and squeezed the heck out of them to get them narrowed up (and put in a little anti-slip pad at the cuff of the heel).

Specific technique was to put the stretchers in snug, soften up the problem spot with the hair dryer, expand the stretchers, and then wait till they cooled. This seems a better strategy than the screwdriver thing Bont recommends - which didn't work well for me - and avoids heating the whole shoe.

The Bont toebox is directionally correct in shape (like Altra shoes), but because it's a tub - which contributes to their superlative stiffness - if it's off a little, it won't work.

I'm coming from Giro Factors which are amply stiff and comfortable, so this was all about trying something different.

Bont's work great but take some work to get to perfect, at least for me. The shoe stretcher idea (and I did try cedar forms earlier) - if you're having trouble - really works.

I'll second/third this, as I was just doing this yesterday to get a pair of Bonts to stop rubbing the side of my big toe. I put a plug on the stretcher, put them in the shoes and stretched, then put them in the oven at 160F for 20 minutes. Now today they're permanently stretched in that spot, so no pressure against my toe.

Last edited by jds108; 08-14-2023 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:48 PM

Couple of things.

Bont wides or double wides may be the ticket for you. There is also an asian fit (wide at the front, regular at the rear).

Wides come up regularly second hand, but double or asian fit less so. Second hand Bonts are pretty common, though, as they aren't for everyone.

Heat molding in the oven is useful and you can make some accomodations for bunions / weird shaped feet. But in general, if you are having a problem with the 'black' bathtub part of the shoe, that will not yield regardless of heat. It's the upper sections of the shoe that will be moldable, at least in my experience.

Finally, the size chart suggests adding 1mm to width but in my experience you can sometimes be better off adding a little more. This allows your foot some movement inside the shoe, you do not want a Bont to be snug as they do not conform to your body.

To illustrate, I had a pair of 44 wides that I thought were good (they were much better than any other shoe I had) but when I retired them, I bought 44.5 wide's and it was night and day. Much better.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:10 AM

I've had a few pair and they definitely have their merits, but proper fit is crucial. The carbon outer tub doesn't leave much room for error and is unforgiving if you have an odd protruding joint, etc. Yes, they can be molded a bit, but the effect is minimal, in my experience. Would encourage you to try before you buy (and at the end of the day when your feet are tired and swollen).
Old 08-15-2023, 10:24 AM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post
Thank you very much for this post.
Hey! You are so welcome! Glad it worked out. Loving my Bonts.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I bought a shoe stretcher from Amazon for 20 bucks. "eachway Shoe Stretcher Shoe Trees, Adjustable Length & Width for Men and Women". Baked them again and used the stretchers to target the outside of my foot. Awesome result.
thanks for this tip. My right foot is wider than my left so this will help acclimate my shoes in less time than my usual "wear it until it stretches out" technique.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:18 PM

I had a pair of Bonts - Vaypor Gs or something like that. After about 3 to 4 months of regular riding the bottom thread assembly that the cleat attaches to disintegrated on one shoe. I crossed them off my list of shoe companies to consider after that, went back to Sidi.

Tags
shoes