Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Haven't dipped your toes in 11 speed then, eh?
campy-10 wheels go to 11, no problem.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:02 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
campy-10 wheels go to 11, no problem.
That's what I hear... I am not a campyphile, so this info doesn't help me much
Old 12-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Anyone avoiding discs for road/gravel?

I think of calipers on rims as bigger disc brakes. As someone who still hangs onto the idea and comfort of an aluminum braking surface and who learned how to operate bicycle brakes a LONG time ago, I don't "get" the need on a road bike. I was curious and got a disc brake road bike a few years ago. Interesting, but not essential. I predict marketing will win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiataccompli View Post
I think of calipers on rims as bigger disc brakes. As someone who still hangs onto the idea and comfort of an aluminum braking surface and who learned how to operate bicycle brakes a LONG time ago, I don't "get" the need on a road bike. I was curious and got a disc brake road bike a few years ago. Interesting, but not essential. I predict marketing will win.

Imagine disc brakes with rubber pads.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Agree. For me and my type of riding, no disc brakes for me. No need. Interesting also that some here in shops have mentioned that they can't keep disc 'cross bikes in stock and can't sell those with canti BUT in Europe, where 'cross racing' is HUGE, many of the big and small boys and girls still use cantis. But yep, marketing. I'm sure there are some sunny day cyclists, who gotta have the bike with those new disc brakes..for their 20 mile, dry, Sunday ride.

oh well, but not for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg European-champs.jpg (105.7 KB, 180 views)
Old 12-21-2014, 07:06 AM

Has anyone with discs ever had any experience with the brakes fading on long descents? I rented a mountain bike with hydros out in oregon and in riding back from the trails on a long steep descent on the road it felt like the brakes were fading. I let up on the brakes and was fine but made me wonder. I see so many experienced, good riders with discs now it makes me think it must be a nonissue now but figured I'd ask.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose8 View Post
Has anyone with discs ever had any experience with the brakes fading on long descents? I rented a mountain bike with hydros out in oregon and in riding back from the trails on a long steep descent on the road it felt like the brakes were fading. I let up on the brakes and was fine but made me wonder. I see so many experienced, good riders with discs now it makes me think it must be a nonissue now but figured I'd ask.
I have a Niner Rip 9 with XTs. Zero fade issues no matter what I do to that poor thing.

Bought it for a trip to Moab and it was a champ. Much better than this rider deserves. I ride it constantly down in the river bottoms, on the local trails, Duluth's trails and up at our cabin on the edge of the BWCA. Hundreds of miles of fire roads to choose from with no brake fade issues. Just don't expect miracles if you coat the rotors with mud and silt. I have one hill I go down in Duluth that is four miles and have zero fade, even if they are smoking hot.

I have BB7s on my Fargo and that has real issues with mud, but i can hardly blame the brakes. They are fine if just damp, other than some goshawful howling in the the wet.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Ever done a race in the rain before? What happens when you squeeze the brake levers? Answer: with caliper brakes NOTHING happens, until a good second or two later, then the bike starts slowing down at a rate much slower than you want. Disc brakes work about 10x better in wet conditions. It's not marketing.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:17 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post
Ever done a race in the rain before? What happens when you squeeze the brake levers? Answer: with caliper brakes NOTHING happens, until a good second or two later, then the bike starts slowing down at a rate much slower than you want. Disc brakes work about 10x better in wet conditions. It's not marketing.
There's an adjustment, but it's not half as drastic as people make it out to be. And the response that I'm always offering is the simple fact that I've never had a situation where I still had traction with the road but couldn't get enough clamping force on the calipers. To me, braking ability in the rain is a complete non-issue.

And you'll note I live in one of the wettest places in America - and right now, ALL of my riding is in the rain.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Braking in the rain with disc brakes is significantly better than braking with caliper brakes. It's not marketing, and definitely not an insignificant difference.

Last edited by abalone; 12-21-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:06 PM
aka RAEKWON

I agree, discs brake better in the rain, there is no ifs and buts. The heavier you are the more you notice this. There are better rim pads, some better for rain like the cool stop salmon pads, I definitely felt a difference however it does not compare to disc. It is definitely significant, specially in the rain. First time I road the disc bike I could not believe it... actually it happened when I went back to the rim brake bike.

Discs are not necessary but neither are 28mm tires or carbon wheels but they have their positives and in the rain there is where they shine the most and where you see the most performance. Now you have to be careful since you can skid easily with all that braking power in a wet surface.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 12-21-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:15 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
I predict marketing will win.
And that pretty much sums it up.

Do most people need discs? Absolutely not.
Will most people want discs? At some point the pendulum will tip that direction. It's too hard for many to resist the lure of new technology. A good percentage of the members here may indeed resist but we're probably not the best representation of the average buyer, given the overwhelming love shown for steel tubes and lugs on these pages.

I have no desire for discs on a road/gravel bike. While I won't say that I will never own one, I frankly can't imagine a point where I will ever want them.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 PM

I have no intention of ever getting discs...I have no need for them and really find them quite ugly on road bikes. But in saying that I know they will ultimately prevail on future bikes...
Old 12-21-2014, 03:00 PM

Yes raced in rain and yes been on hard fast and tight rides in the rain too. Adjustment and he right gear is a big factor, as is a whole different level of anticipation (such as using brakes as braking surface squeegees). That said, yeah certainly in that particular situation discs are likely to perform better given an equal level of prep and anticipation as rim brakes. Of course, until everyone in the races has them it could be they spell the demise of someone behind you.

I guess since i do not get paid as a professional to race I may worry less about that particular situation than some .

Old 12-21-2014, 03:32 PM

I have discs on a couple bikes and like them, but more for wheel changes than performance. My Civia Bryant has discs and I can swap between 700c and 650b with no adjustments needed. I just ordered my wife a Surly Straggler. It can take fat 700c tires but 650b will help with the toe overlap with big tires. It just opens up some options that are tougher without discs.