Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2023, 09:08 AM

1750 isn't that bad!

So somewhere between a lightweight Al frame and normal steel frame. Afaik, the strael frame is like 2kg, if not more, plus the weight of the fork.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I have never ridden a Love#3 or Gaulzetti, but have had a couple of Aluminum Zancs. The CX/Gravel bike was smooth riding while the other was a stiff riding road frame. The Serotta rides more like the CX/gravel Zanc.

Ben designed the bike with the highest end aluminum Giant produces and as stated here the seed was planted by FTW. The Serotta bikes I had rode with efficiency while retaining a very pleasant ride quality. They were great all around bikes for enthusiasts IMHO and these Duetti bikes have that ride quality.

The paint is nice as is the frame and fork. I think the idea was to get the name out again and show what can be done with aluminum these days. These were produced for a UK distributor who didn't fulfill their order. I had seen a couple out in the wild over the past couple years and folks always seemed very happy with them.

I can't think of a better quality frameset out there for two to three times as much as these are/were. It's not the fastest, lightest or best looking bike out there, but it is very much a high end finished frameset that has very good proportions to build up!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Whom is FTW? Did I miss something earlier in the thread?
Old 12-14-2023, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web1111a View Post
Whom is FTW? Did I miss something earlier in the thread?
Frank the Welder

https://www.frankthewelder.com/
Old 12-14-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
1750 isn't that bad!

So somewhere between a lightweight Al frame and normal steel frame. Afaik, the strael frame is like 2kg, if not more, plus the weight of the fork.
Indeed, the frame (1326g) + fork (425g) = ~1750g together for my size, which is pretty light. The fork is a pretty standard weight for a modern carbon frameset (decently light, but nothing exceptional). The frame itself is considerably lighter than standard aluminum frames. It's about about 380g lighter than the State Bicycles Undefeated. The Kinesis R2 frames are listed at 1840g frame and 480g fork (even heavier than the State frame). And Kinesis' lightest aluminum frame, the Aithein is listed at 1600g (fork NOT included, just frame + seatpost collar). The Aithein costs about $1150 USD at current MSRP.

More good news: The somewhat-garish new graphics are easily removeable. So, if you received a frame with some questionable new decals added on top of the classy and simple "Duetti" Graphics, hit it with a hair dryer and the stickers will scrape off pretty easy with an old credit card. Some alcohol will remove any sticker residue left behind. The original "Duetti" graphics will remain intact, since they are actually under the clearcoat.

I don't know what they were thinking with those stickers, but the forum member I purchased my frameset from spoke with Ben directly and said he was trying to add some more brand recognition with the new graphics. This isn't a good way to do it! The frameset is really nicely painted and finished, so tacked-on decals are silly. I could see the original "D" logo coming through the "S" sticker that was placed on top - absurd!

Original paintwork: https://www.theproscloset.com/cdn/sh...g?v=1678914585

New stickers: https://serotta.com/wp-content/uploa...e-1024x653.jpg

Comes right off:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sticker removal.jpg (72.9 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by TrackSmart; 12-14-2023 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:36 AM

Dammit. Now I kinda want one of these ferreallll!
Old 12-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackSmart View Post
More good news: The somewhat-garish new graphics are easily removeable. So, if you received a frame with some questionable new decals added on top of the classy and simple "Duetti" Graphics, hit it with a hair dryer and the stickers will scrape off pretty easy with an old credit card. Some alcohol will remove any sticker residue left behind. The original "Duetti" graphics will remain intact, since they are actually under the clearcoat.

I don't know what they were thinking with those stickers, but the forum member I purchased my frameset from spoke with Ben directly and said he was trying to add some more brand recognition with the new graphics. This isn't a good way to do it! The frameset is really nicely painted and finished, so tacked-on decals are silly. I could see the original "D" logo coming through the "S" sticker that was placed on top - absurd!

Wow that sticker takes afterthought to another level. What a terrible solution.

Glad it is easily removed.
Old 12-14-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Indeed, the frame (1326g) + fork (425g) = ~1750g together for my size, which is pretty light. The fork is a pretty standard weight for a modern carbon frameset (decently light, but nothing exceptional). The frame itself is considerably lighter than standard aluminum frames. It's about about 380g lighter than the State Bicycles Undefeated. The Kinesis R2 frames are listed at 1840g frame and 480g fork (even heavier than the State frame). And Kinesis' lightest aluminum frame, the Aithein is listed at 1600g (fork NOT included, just frame + seatpost collar). The Aithein costs about $1150 USD at current MSRP.

Weird! Do you have more pics of before the stickers were removed?
Old 12-14-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Weird! Do you have more pics of before the stickers were removed?
You can see it in the link I posted above from Serotta's website. And below, from the photo the seller posted here on the forums. The frame looks so much cleaner in its original form, as seen from the builds posted earlier in this thread. He got it right the first time, when he probably didn't have the rights, or wasn't certain he did, to use the Serotta brand so boldly on those frames. He reacquired the brand later, and apparently wanted to plaster it back on the frames. Adding stickers like this was not the best way to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Actual frameset - Serotta Duetti.jpg (67.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
He reacquired the brand later, and apparently wanted to plaster it back on the frames. Adding stickers like this was not the best way to do it.
What an absolutely perfect way to dilute your brand. Or what's left of it.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
What an absolutely perfect way to dilute your brand. Or what's left of it.
On the other hand, his brand is his biggest asset at this point, and marketing a bunch of bikes that just say "Duetti" on them doesn't do anything for the Serotta brand either.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:02 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
On the other hand, his brand is his biggest asset at this point, and marketing a bunch of bikes that just say "Duetti" on them doesn't do anything for the Serotta brand either.
It says 'SEROTTA' in giant letters on the downtube.
I admittedly do not know the intricacies of what he did or didnt have rights to when it came to branding but why would it be OK to have the name plastered on the downtube, but not OK to have a letter 'S' on the headtube? If one was legal but not the other, that would be odd.

I assumed 'Duetti' was a sub-brand that allowed Serotta to reach markets it otherwise wouldnt touch. Something like that. Acura/Honda as an easy comparison.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I admittedly do not know the intricacies of what he did or didnt have rights to when it came to branding but why would it be OK to have the name plastered on the downtube, but not OK to have a letter 'S' on the headtube? If one was legal but not the other, that would be odd.

I assumed 'Duetti' was a sub-brand that allowed Serotta to reach markets it otherwise wouldnt touch. Something like that. Acura/Honda as an easy comparison.
The downtube stickers are paired with the new headtube sticker. The "original" had neither, just a hard-to-read signature, as seen in this thread.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=3209125

Old 12-14-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:

These were created back in 2017 when he was re-launching as "Serotta Design Studios" with this Aluminum Duetti and a steel aModoMio where he didn't think he could use the name. The Serotta brand as the headline came back in 2020, and these became leftover orphans. I don't understand the plastering the new stickers on, but I got mine before that.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You can see it in the link I posted above from Serotta's website. And below, from the photo the seller posted here on the forums. The frame looks so much cleaner in its original form, as seen from the builds posted earlier in this thread. He got it right the first time, when he probably didn't have the rights, or wasn't certain he did, to use the Serotta brand so boldly on those frames. He reacquired the brand later, and apparently wanted to plaster it back on the frames. Adding stickers like this was not the best way to do it.
OHHH i got it now... these frames have a huge sticker covering that big serotta on the downtube?? wow..
Old 12-14-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
OHHH i got it now... these frames have a huge sticker covering that big serotta on the downtube?? wow..
Ha ha ha ha ha! Nobody seems to be getting anything, but that's okay. Look at the photos in the links I originally posted. I thought I had made it pretty clear in that first post:

Original paintwork: https://www.theproscloset.com/cdn/sh...g?v=1678914585

New stickers *added on top* of the original paintwork: https://serotta.com/wp-content/uploa...e-1024x653.jpg

Notice how the original does not have giant "Serotta" stickers on the side or a giant orange/gray "S" sticker on the headtube. That "S" sticker still allowed the "D" for Duetti logo to be seen underneath, which looked terrible. The big "Serotta" logo stickers were okay, in terms of look, but I personally prefer the simplicity of the original paint job.

The reason the frameset didn't say "Serotta" in big letters originally is that Ben Serotta didn't own the Serotta brand at the time he designed them. The company did. So, instead of "Serotta" in giant letters, the frame had small "Serotta Design" logos and a much more subtle "D" (for Duetti) on the head tube. I'm guessing he was leery of being sued.

Here's a photo from ltwtsculler91's build, below. It just looks way more tasteful without the tacked-on graphics. Again, the giant logo looked fine (though a bit strong on the branding), but the headtube sticker was just cheesy and terrible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serotta Duetti Build - 2.jpg (144.7 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by TrackSmart; 12-14-2023 at 03:22 PM. Reason: EDIT: Fixed photo links.