Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2015, 06:20 PM

"VW spokeswoman Jeannine Ginivan said the German automaker had received the order. "We will vigorously defend the company in these cases," she said."

How exactly are they going to do that considering they've been caught red handed and have admitted as much. "No comment," would have been a better reply.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:32 PM

I like the idea of owners pulling the plug on payments until VW settles the situation

Bet it would happen in less than a week
Old 12-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I like the idea of owners pulling the plug on payments until VW settles the situation

Bet it would happen in less than a week
We made our last payment to VW credit in Oct so we're SOL. All missing payments is going to do is ruin your credit. Not worth it unfortunately.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:10 AM

Latest from VW "press conference"

Still blaming a "few rogue engineers" and lack of oversight...makes one wonder if a few rogue engineers could have gotten the software through the system, what else slipped through oversight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/bu...s-scandal.html

WOLFSBURG, Germany Volkswagen said on Thursday that its emissions cheating scandal began in 2005 with a decision to heavily promote diesel engines in the United States and a realization that those engines could not meet clean air standards.

What followed was a textbook example of what happens when ambition combines with weak internal controls and ethical standards, the company acknowledged as it presented a preliminary report of its investigation into the origins of the scandal.

Some employees, the company found, chose to cheat on emissions tests rather than to curtail Volkswagen痴 American campaign.

典here was a tolerance for breaking the rules, Hans-Dieter P?sch, the chairman of Volkswagen痴 supervisory board, said here on Thursday, at his first lengthy news conference since the emissions cheating came to light in September. 典hat is the hardest thing to accept, he added.
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

At the news conference, which also included Matthias M?ler, the Volkswagen chief executive, the company gave its most detailed explanation yet of what had led to the scandal. Mr. P?sch said it was 鍍he biggest test in Volkswagen痴 history.

The company is in talks with United States regulators about how to make about 500,000 cars there comply with clean air rules. Mr. M?ler said that he was optimistic that a technical solution would be announced in the coming days.

The cheating began a decade ago, while Volkswagen was developing a new diesel engine, and continued even after the German automaker started building cars with newer technology that used the chemical urea to neutralize nitrogen oxide emissions, which are a harmful pollutant.

Those cars should have been able to pass emissions tests legally. But apparently, Volkswagen wanted to minimize the frequency with which customers or dealers would need to refill the tank that holds the chemical.

的t proves not to have been a one-time error, but rather a chain of errors that were allowed to happen, Mr. P?sch said.

While Volkswagen has been able to resolve the emissions problem in Europe at relatively low cost, the United States has stricter limits on nitrogen oxide emissions, which have been linked to lung ailments.

Compounding the problem is that most of the cars sold in the United States are equipped with older technology that does not use a chemical to treat the emissions and that will therefore be more difficult to bring up to standard. The company is likely to have to install new hardware in those vehicles, which include models such as the Jetta, Golf and Beetle sold before the 2015 model year.

The company acknowledged that, in addition to wrongdoing by individual employees, the misconduct was the result of weak oversight and of 殿 mind-set in some areas of the company that tolerated breaches of the rules.

For example, the people who developed parts were the same ones who approved them for production. At other companies, it is standard practice for one team to develop components and another to check them for quality. Volkswagen said it would correct its procedures.

展e have to understand how this came about, Mr. P?sch said. 典hat is the only way we can prevent it from happening again.

Volkswagen also said that nine people had been suspended as a result of the scandal, one more than had previously been disclosed. It said it could not disclose any names until the evidence was 努atertight.

The company痴 preliminary report comes nearly three months after the Environmental Protection Agency in the United States said that Volkswagen had programmed diesel cars to detect when they were undergoing emissions tests, and to crank up pollution controls. At other times, the cars emitted up to 40 times the allowed amount of nitrogen oxides.

Volkswagen subsequently admitted that 11 million cars worldwide were equipped with the illegal software.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 AM

I'm tired of listening to these guys talk. I don't care how it happened. Fix it.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:16 PM

You're going to be waiting a very long time. If you want to get out, now is the time. Used TDI's are in demand. As soon as the 2015/2016 models are cleared for sale in a few months this situation will change.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
You're going to be waiting a very long time. If you want to get out, now is the time. Used TDI's are in demand. As soon as the 2015/2016 models are cleared for sale in a few months this situation will change.
Used TDI's may be in demand, but dealer's aren't paying a premium for them. Also, then there is this:

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459200...f-resale-value

While the NPR transcript doesn't cite its source, it appears to be from the "press conference" earlier today (VW held a meeting in Wolfsburg to answer reporters questions)
Old 12-10-2015, 02:39 PM

VW Says Cheating was not a one-time error

"The solution, Volkswagen executives suggested Thursday, may be a more effective NOX trap, taking advantage of recent advances in technology."

Last edited by bcroslin; 12-10-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: forgot "not"
Old 12-10-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Used TDI's are in demand.
I thought prices were way down?
Old 12-10-2015, 07:29 PM

It is even worse than first thought...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/bu...=top-news&_r=0
Old 12-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
I'd buy another in a second if I had a place to store it. Best vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
Used TDI's may be in demand, but dealer's aren't paying a premium for them. Also, then there is this:

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459200...f-resale-value

While the NPR transcript doesn't cite its source, it appears to be from the "press conference" earlier today (VW held a meeting in Wolfsburg to answer reporters questions)
Additional rebates will be interesting. My purchase price has already been reduced by $1000, a few more k will just sweeten the pot. The cats that will make out on this deal will be those that purchased with the intention of keeping for 20 years. Like me.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:04 PM

I still intend to drive mine til the wheels fall off. 36k miles a year. I'm happy to take any money they're giving out, of course.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:19 PM

What about buying a 2014 TDI wagon?

We are considering a second car and may just go buy another Subaru but we have talked about a TDI wagon for over a year.

What do I expect to hear from the dealer in terms of "the fix" since I am basically buying a recalled vehicle? A local dealer has a few low mileage automatic I'd be interested in.

How is this working for used pre 2015 cars?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
Depends. Private party sales are pretty good. Aggressive dealers are as well.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads