Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2007, 06:22 PM
LibraChix

Willits calls that their sculpted seat post collar and it is an upgrade. Never had a problem with an integrated seat binder bolt - even on the tandem - but the designs are a variety.

Jared said that they could build the road frame with a straight top tube and the B2 rear triangle. Then it would look much like the Terraplane, only in Ti.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM

ok, ok, if I had a nickel for every bolt . . .

you want to bike to look like a Kirk, but--oh, never mind. . .

later, I'm outa here.
it's been a great thread, thanks to the masters who have graced us with their thoughts.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:29 PM
LibraChix

No, I don't want the bike to look like a Kirk, but I can admire the appeal of the seat stays. Different designs are rarely born without inspiration from outside. I only compare to the Terraplane because that is the bike that seems to be catching everyone's eye right now -- and very few are familiar with Willits' new road frame.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 PM

hmmm, I thought Brother Dave T. might have chimed in with his experiment changing his Kirk from straight to Terraplane stays. That kind of squeezes the variable down to one, doesn't it?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb
hmmm, I thought Brother Dave T. might have chimed in with his experiment changing his Kirk from straight to Terraplane stays. That kind of squeezes the variable down to one, doesn't it?
I did. Post #10 http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ght=terraplane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-kirk1.JPG (55.4 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg mini-mini-mini-mini-terraplane3.JPG (54.7 KB, 374 views)
Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 AM

dave thompson - may i say, that i love your reincarnated kirk

separately, check out the curved seat stays on this smooth rider:
http://www.dahon.com/us/smoothhound.htm
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM

I don't see how curved stays can have any effect on comfort. It would seem to be fairly easy to place the frame in some sort of jig and apply pressure at the dropouts and measure any upward movement. My guess is that stays from Litespeeds slight curve to Seven's hourglass to Kirk's major S-bend would measure the same for all intents and purposes. Serotta's bearing at the dropout will at least allow a tiny bit of movement. I think the placebo effect is what is going on here. Want a more comfy ride? Slap on some 25C tires.

Tim McTeague
Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Tim,

The frequency of the force applied at the dropout needs to be considered. Its like an RLC circuit or such. The terraplane stays (or any other non-straight seat stays) are changing the parameters of the damped resonance. But I agree, with the proper jig you should be able to measure the resulting change in frequency response/transfer function.

Kent
Old 03-20-2007, 03:53 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague
I don't see how curved stays can have any effect on comfort. It would seem to be fairly easy to place the frame in some sort of jig and apply pressure at the dropouts and measure any upward movement. My guess is that stays from Litespeeds slight curve to Seven's hourglass to Kirk's major S-bend would measure the same for all intents and purposes. Serotta's bearing at the dropout will at least allow a tiny bit of movement. I think the placebo effect is what is going on here. Want a more comfy ride? Slap on some 25C tires.

Tim McTeague
??? Your guess??? The pics of the Kirk above are the same bike with exactly the same equipment, the sole difference being the that I sent the yellow Kirk back to Dave for the conversion to the Terraplane and a paint job. More than a few miles put on both versions. There was a discernible, recognizable difference riding the same roads that I'd ridden many times. I think I'm qualified to state that.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague

Tim McTeague
Hey there,

Back in the Hors Cat days I made a device to measure rear wheel travel on any given frame. Bolt it on and ride and check the amount of travel. Simple stuff that was done all those years ago. I used it to fine tune the bends of the Hors Cat and I used a similar tool to fine tune the bends on my current offerings. The amount of travel was/is measurable, repeatable, and substantial. The Hors got about 12mm max and the Terraplane gets about 1/2 of that. A standard straight stay bike will measure at less that 1mm.

Many other curved stay bikes were measured and cataloged. Most had little to no travel....give or take 1mm or less. That includes Litespeeds and Ritcheys and the such.

I have a self imposed rule. I NEVER comment on my own work in this forum. I feel it's Serotta's house and I'm a guest and should act like one. I'm breaking my own rule now for what I think is the first time in all the years I've been posting here.......... I get pretty frustrated by folks that have never ridden one of my frames telling anyone that will listen what it will or won't do. If you ride one built for your size and weight and it doesn't do as it should then I'll expect to hear that I'm full of crap and you'd be right. I would ask that until then that you have an open mind and not dismiss what you clearly don't understand.

I'm sorry if I've over stepped some boundary with this post. I apologize to Serotta for addressing my own work here.

Thanks for reading.

Dave
Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk
Thanks for reading.
Thanks for writing.
Sincerely,
Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Feel the Force

dave's bike rock

end of story

oh and about that placebo thing and the 25mm tires- you are selling yourself short- MY kirk can run 32s!!!!!!

jason
Old 03-20-2007, 05:06 PM

David,

thanks for the diplomatic, respectful, and thought-provoking clarification. Now, just one follow-up, and it's not about your bikes but stays in general. . .

(BTW, I am fully convinced, although I've never ridden a Kirk, that your design does what everyone says, and that's not only because everyone says so, but because I've ridden enough bikes to know that they do behave very differently according to design.)

But, hmm, it's interesting . . . what about other materials, and they way they might behave as used in stays? Did your testing delve into that sort of comparison, or were you just focused on steel?

best,
mw
Old 03-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Please close this thread. It's been great, not too sure now. DK, you are a gentleman. Obi-wan Serrota, thanks for hosting. Ciao!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpiratetim
Please close this thread. It's been great, not too sure now.
Seems a bit drastic to me. A guy makes an iffy, unsubstantiated, statement that is corrected by an expert who has actual data. Life goes on.

No reason to bring the whole conversation to a screeching halt IMO.

Louis