Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2017, 11:39 AM

As the Boonen group lost ground (final 5-10k) I think Stybar lost his "excuse" for just sitting on. However I can understand why he would be hesitant to take any big pulls after that (fatigue, not as strong as his two companions); not that I agree with his tactic, just can understand. Probably being the smartest vs. the strongest rider at that point was what was going through his mind, maybe? But I'm not a fan of guys sitting in & coming around to win at the last second so glad GvA out sprinted him. He & Oss were a 2 man wrecking crew in the later part.
Was hoping for a better showing from Degenkolb and expecting Boonen to be maybe top 3 or 5.
Sure is GvA's year.No more "nearly man". I'm happy for the guy, always find myself pulling for him.
Now if we can just get a Monument for Sep, and I'll bet Roger deVlaeminck is probably breathing a sigh of relief and maybe QS can stop with the negative racing.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 04-09-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:15 PM

Great to watch the race and cheer for the winner until the last sprint. A dual image of the day would be GVA first dragging his bike back against the current in a dust cloud at the side of the road, and then later hoisting the cobble.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Now if we can just get a Monument for Sep, and I'll bet Roger deVlaeminck is probably breathing a sigh of relief ...
really good point. The youngest rider with a roubaix win is Degenkolb, and he is 28 currently. (no current riders have more than 1 roubaix win) So, let's say he stays at top form for another 5 years of racing, he'd have to win 3 out of the next 5 editions of Roubaix to tie Boonen. Which seems pretty unlikely given his recent results.

I'll grudgingly give him a pass this season, mainly on the strength of his 2015. Coming back from a nasty injury last year, and a new team this year. He has a lot of expectations on him and needs to come through for next year, as he's in his prime and has now lost 2 classics seasons. (This is speaking purely as a one day racer, not a sprinter)

Still, as you alluded to, the era of Boonen and Cancellara is over. And there probably will not be another rider with the opportunity to equal the record for a generation. Boonen and Cancellara already had one in the bank when they were 24 and 25, respectively. Which, when it comes to the simple math, means it is much more likely to win 2 or 3 of the next 10, than it is to win 3 or 4 of the next 6.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:36 PM

Would you want to see the last 30k?

I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Bv...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-09-2017, 05:41 PM

No Monument this year for Sagan. Too bad so sad.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Irony here being that it's GvA that's usually gets criticized for taking smaller turns in breaks, but at least he still contributes. Stybar was atrocious, not taking a single turn for 10km before attacking...
Pretty sure that Quickstep was not going to let him work until there was absolutely no chance of the Boonen group catching. When it went up to 51 seconds there is room for criticism but really, how much **** would be talked if Stybar was working to keep away while Tommeke still had a chance?
Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Came here just to read this take. Congratulations.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Pretty sure that Quickstep was not going to let him work until there was absolutely no chance of the Boonen group catching. When it went up to 51 seconds there is room for criticism but really, how much **** would be talked if Stybar was working to keep away while Tommeke still had a chance?
If Boonen every had a chance.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2017, 06:46 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Hes not riding LBL or Lombardia?
Old 04-09-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
If Boonen every had a chance.

Jeff
Somewhat agree but the problem I have with Stybars performances that if he had enough left to cover Gva's break where was he the rest of the race? Why was Boonen covering his own moves. I think Terpstra's abandon may have doomed whatever small chance Boonen had of winning.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:50 PM

Vaughters taking partial credit with his coaching for Langeveld's third is nauseating.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:12 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Well....that was a disappointing ending. I didn't get to follow it as I was out riding and reading the reports I'm glad that I wasn't watching. Good on Stybar for not giving a pull.

I used to be "anyone but Cancellara"....looks like it's time to change that mantra to "anyone but GvA".
Old 04-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
the thing is, Stybar drove the pace on Carrefour, which would make his latter actions a bit puzzling
Old 04-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Bike Guy

Huge Stybar fan over here. So he skipped some pulls, every bike racer does it. Cheap move, sure. Did it possibly help him get that big gap during his sprint, possibly. I appreciate he tried to animate things around 4K but realistically that wasn't going anywhere and I'm surprised his DS even let that happen. Overall a good race to watch with the most deserving winner. GVA is eclipsing Sagan as one of the most balanced one day racers out there. Between him and Sagan, once their respective careers are a wrap I'd love to see all the side by side stats. To my knowledge GVA has never been a factor in the grand tours no? He sure does love to race and that comes through which is great for us watching. I get the same vibe from Stybar, maybe with Boonen retiring he will get more support as a top gun.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Hes not riding LBL or Lombardia?
He rode Lombardia once if memory serves. Never rode LBL. Or I have that backwards.

Too hilly.