Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2023, 12:19 PM

Just started 2 weeks ago, first I’m just cutting out all crap food and trying to have a small veggie snack or salad for lunch. Down 5 pounds so far. Would like to loose another 35 pounds. My back is keeping me off the bike so for now just diet and a some walking.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklotz View Post
Down 12 lbs, from 202 to 190 lbs. Been at it for about 3 months. Not the fastest program, but it's sustainable. Made a commitment to do something active every day, making a big difference. I'd like to get down to 180. Being 5'11", that seems like a good target weight.
Don’t worry about an exact number too much. Track your waist, belly and hip measurements. Really all you have to do is look in the mirror in the morning. You will know when you are at the right weight.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2023, 04:55 PM

If you are reading this, do NOT add peanut butter to toast, toast it, then bite right into it - it is HOTTER than you think! Burned the roof of my mouth.

Weight program is going good. Actually running at 188 lbs. looking for 180 but with the proper diet and exercise of course!
Old 09-04-2023, 06:01 PM

I should join this thread :-)

After a non-cycling accident in 2012 and months in a wheelchair I was really afraid to ride. I was 156 lbs. when I left the hospital. About 18 months ago -I was pushing 200- and I got a wakeup call from my doctor. To make a change I dropped animal products. I'll eat meat if I'm out to dinner or at a friends for dinner but generally I don't cook it myself. My blood work is good enough now and I'm much lighter. Not 156 but I may be at my goal of 160+/-2 in about two more months. I have also rekindled my lust for riding a bike, which is the best part of it all, and I'm no longer thinking about being in a wheelchair again if I crash.

Funny part is that if I can do a pretty hard ride here by the end of October, that includes Trinity Grade, Mount Veeder, and the Dry Creek Climb back to Trinity; my girlfriend has to make me a roasted duck dinner. If I don't or can't do it I have to do a handmade pasta dinner for her. I don't like to lose to her because she'll never let me forget!

Good luck to everyone here

Last edited by TonyG; 09-04-2023 at 06:43 PM. Reason: me write pretty someday
Old 09-04-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Just started 2 weeks ago, first I’m just cutting out all crap food and trying to have a small veggie snack or salad for lunch. Down 5 pounds so far. Would like to loose another 35 pounds. My back is keeping me off the bike so for now just diet and a some walking.
When I started NOOM, walking and some light strength training were all they recommended. Cutting back on calories by eating less calorie-dense foods helped me lose a lot of weight. Once I got closer to my target, I started adding cycling and figured out the balance.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:46 AM

Having fruits and veggies, plus riding everyday helps control everything! Even a short 8-10 mile ride when I don't have time to ride.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:37 PM

6 weeks in, 15 pounds lighter
Old 10-03-2023, 05:44 AM

February 17th ... 217 lbs.

Today .... 185 lbs.

SPP
Old 10-03-2023, 06:02 AM

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
February 17th ... 217 lbs.

Today .... 185 lbs.

SPP
Old 10-03-2023, 10:13 AM

April 16th: 226lbs

Today: 193lbs.

Just focused on getting back to basics: cut out booze (for a couple months), try to consistently ride 100-150mi/week, eat smaller portions, and eat healthier in general.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:26 PM

I decided to put more emphasis on diet and strength this off season.

August 4th 192 lbs, today 176.8 lbs . ~ -15lbs loss so far. Aiming for another -5lbs before starting some structured base training. I don’t want to be running a deficit whilst training properly.

I have been using MacroFactor for counting calories and macros and have been getting in a minimum of 2 x 45 minute workouts a day. Of which 5-6 weight sessions / week.

No booze, vegetarian.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:02 AM

It's amazing how a little bit of travel can really throw your routine off. We spent a couple weeks in Portland visiting our son. I didn't do much riding (maybe 50 miles total) and almost never went through my typical stretching routine (a normal early morning activity for me). My weight responded accordingly. On top of all that, my poor sleep habits seem to have gotten worse...

Ah well, at least I returned home with a bike.

Early 70s Fuji The Finest (rather crufty, but it was cheap).
Old 10-28-2023, 05:25 AM

I'm 55 years old and gained 25 pounds from the start of the Covid lockdown in 2020. My weight by the summer of this year was 195 pounds (from 170 in 2020). I started intermittent fasting in July and I'm now down 14 pounds to 181 pounds. I have 11 more pounds to go to get back to 170. I'd like to get there before I start doing hard intervals on the bike to build power as I'd like to race some XC again. I won my local 50+ XC short track series and my last race before the lockdown began. I also bought a Crux this year and would like to do some gravel events if I can get my weight down.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:11 PM

The twin feast days of portliness (they which shall not be named) are fast approaching. As my traditional nemeses, I wonder if anybody can offer some spells which might trick me into making it through the holidays with my waistline intact.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:41 PM

I'm at 18 months at the same weight since losing 60 pounds in early 2022. I stay renewed with NOOM to reinforce my habits.